remote camping with trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zonanavystar

I've heard of guys that will take their trailers or truck slide in campers and do "remote camping."  I was hoping someone could give me some insight on this concept.  It seems to me, that its just taking your RV rig onto a jeep trail (if you can make it) and basically find a corner of that trail off by yourself a little where you can basically have your own self contained campsite.  Is this about it?  Do these guys take everything, like a generator and everything, or is it more like something hunters do and they really only use it as a base camp?  I like this idea, and I would like to learn more about it.  I have a pop-up that I pull with a F-150 4x4, so I'm thinking I can prolly get this rig into some somewhat rugged areas.  Does anyone do this, or have any insight?  thanks!

I have seen a lot of exactly what you describe for many years while I was a back-packer. Been a guest, a few times. Really liked the heater! Never had a rig like that, tho. Went straight from back-packing to a motorhome. (Wouldn't try to get that into most places I've been.)  :eek:

Take everything? Some do. It's a personal choice issue. Back then, if I was a guest and they had heat, water, gas for cooking and a bed, I was right back down-town! Take what you think you would like to have.  8)

Easiest is the pop-ups, with pick-up campers a very close second. I have seen them off of Jeep trails, where it  was a bit of a stretch to believe they were actually there.  ??? Howdeedothet?

I've seen smaller travel trailers in some pretty remote places. Some folks "base camp" in fifth wheels, but none that I have seen in the rugged, four wheel drive - jeep trails. I have also seen motorhomes in regular forest camp grounds. For the motorhome crowd, they leave in the early morning in their four wheelers and return in the evening.

For real wilderness penetration, try the mule-train "RV," on game trails into the remotest, most difficult accesses, deep in the woods. Been there, done that - fantastic!

Does that help?  ;D

Ray D  ;D

We've had our Class A on river gravel banks and flood plains, in old borrow pits, on abandoned roads and down dirt "roads" no wider than the coach to get to a remote lakeside. Folks with truck campers or Pups can certainly go well beyond than that.

As for what to take with you, the answer is whatever fits and suits your idea of comfort.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom