40 degree below zero water hose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me too  That does help the pipes in the coach or trailer one bit, nor the pipe coming out of the ground.

John In Detroit said:
An interesting product, However I checked the website

Length 25 feet  $320

I think I'll drive south when it gets cold.

Yep I can buy over 1/2 tank of diesel fuel for that price.  Besides I don't intend to need a hose for that cold of weather.

Why on earth would anyone want to be in frigid temps in an RV if not a necessity?  Certainly behoves me

Please don't be so provincial and flippant with your responses. This person was kind enough to supply info. which winter campers can use. There are many people that winter camp, including skiers, workers, etc. In most places, the water pipes are protected in all-year northern cgs and most newer RVs, especially those designed for cold weather, have enclosed tanks and extra insulation. That leaves the hose to be protected and this hose serves that need. Yes, it is expensive but a winter camper may be willing to spend the money for the convenience instead of using the wrap around heat tape or pipe insulation. Not everyone has the luxury of being a snowbird.

Oh the hose is good in oh, say 20 degree weather (my rig is rated for 20 degrees so long as I'm using the furnace)

and as the web page cites. 'Down on the farm" such hoses could be handy.

However, when I was growing up on the farm.  We learned that in the winter, after you fill the stock tank, you unhook the hose from the frost proof faucet, (thus allowing the water in the line to drain back down) and coil and drain the hose so it can freeze all it wants... There is no water to speak of in the thing (perhaps a few pea size ice cubes quickly blown away when you re-hook and water flows)

Been doing it that way a long, long, long, long time

Still... There are places where such a hose would have been right handy

BruceinFL said:
Please don't be so provincial and flippant with your responses. This person was kind enough to supply info. which winter campers can use. There are many people that winter camp, including skiers, workers, etc. In most places, the water pipes are protected in all-year northern cgs and most newer RVs, especially those designed for cold weather, have enclosed tanks and extra insulation. That leaves the hose to be protected and this hose serves that need. Yes, it is expensive but a winter camper may be willing to spend the money for the convenience instead of using the wrap around heat tape or pipe insulation. Not everyone has the luxury of being a snowbird.

I don't think anybody is critisizing the -40 hose.  However, for less than $50 one can get a hose or make up a water system that would handle -40 weather if one had the desire or need to do that.  This is from experience having spent a few winters in North Dakota. ;D ;D

I don't condemn the hose  I think it's great  But -40  jist ain't for me kiddo

Ron said:
I don't think anybody is critisizing the -40 hose.  However, for less than $50 one can get a hose or make up a water system that would handle -40 weather if one had the desire or need to do that.  This is from experience having spent a few winters in North Dakota. ;D ;D

Ron, where bouts in ND did you "winter' at?  We are in Harvey.  Not looking forward to putting the fiver to bed here in a few weeks.

RadioFace said:
Ron, where bouts in ND did you "winter' at?  We are in Harvey.  Not looking forward to putting the fiver to bed here in a few weeks.

Spent a couple winters in Minot Even taught flying there too.  Also lived in Grand Forks and Langdon.  We are not strangers to -40F temperatures.

Ron said:
Spent a couple winters in Minot Even taught flying there too.  Also lived in Grand Forks and Langdon.  We are not strangers to -40F temperatures.

Yeah, -40 with a wind blowing the same speed isn't very fun.  I guess I better buy the RV antifreeze soon.

I use to go to Harvey quite often when doing dual cross country with students on the way over to Bismark then back to Minot.  I taught a guy that was manager of the cheese factory in Harvey in the early 70/s.  So I know where Harvey is.

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Contrary to what most of you believe, not everyone enjoys or likes heat.

I can understand a statement like that from a guy that has spent most of the summer in AZ. ;D ;D  I don't really care for 100F+ temps either.

Ron said:
I use to go to Harvey quite often when doing dual cross country with students on the way over to Bismark then back to Minot.  I taught a guy that was manager of the cheese factory in Harvey in the early 70/s.  So I know where Harvey is.

Wow, I remember the cheese plant.  I grew up near Anamoose and we did all our shopping in Harvey.  The cheese plant shut down I think in the mid 70's.  You must be down someploace where it is warm ;D. Ever get back to ND?  DW and I are hoping to winter in the south within 8-10 years with anyluck.

Right now we are in Traverse City MI helping Sam's mother.  End of Oct we will start our journey South in time for Thanksgiving and Christmas in Texas where or kids and Grand daughters wre.  Sure hope the weather holds and none of that white mold falls before we get out of here.

Ron said:
I can understand a statement like that from a guy that has spent most of the summer in AZ. ;D ;D  I don't really care for 100F+ temps either.

I just made sure anything I had to do outside was done by 8:00 in the morning. Other than that I didn't go outside. On the days I had to go to PHX I would be down there by 8:00 so I could be home by 11 or 11:30. Never got out of air conditioning except between building and car. Last summer I spent as much as a week never leaving the house. I'll take -40 over a 100 any day. I don't live in AZ by choice. But sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Back
Top Bottom