Bob's New Hip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Bob,

Wow, I never even thought about the obstacles we face in an RV after surgery if we're alone!! Shoulder surgery isn't bad since you still have the use of one arm and both legs. Still, there are times when things are difficult, like putting on a shirt. :) A hip replacement certainly makes it extremely challenging!! Of course you know there's framily everywhere that would be willing to lend a hand. :)

One of the things I did to help with any discomfort during PT was to take a pain pill a half hour before my appointment. It didn't affect my ability to perform the exercises but helped manage the pain during exercise. I mentioned that to a woman that had the same operation and she thought it was a good idea.

Bionic Bob,

I really enjoyed your post about some of the hardships you encountered recovering from THR while fulltiming in a motorhome. 

Shirley's sister just had THR and came to stay with us (in our stick home) one night recently.  She brought along her own "riser" that fit over the toilet seat so I can appreciate your part about THR patients using toilets in motorhomes.

I was just wondering if your blood pressure has returned to normal yet after that occupational therapist told you that she was going to take a shower with you?  ;D  Shirley got a big kick out of that when I told her about it (she's an RN in a previous profession).  I know we all have our little tricks to try and save water when taking a shower while boondocking, but I never considered taking a 'dry' shower as one of them!  ;D

Another thing I wondered about was the wooden steps you had built leading up to the motorhome steps.  I remember you having a side entrance to your motorhome (which probably wouldn't be as hard to enter as a front entrance) but I imagine you still had trouble getting in and out with a walker.  How were you able to accomplish that by yourself?  And did you teach the Home Care nurses how to open and close the valves for your waste tanks when they got full if you were hooked up to a sewer?  Now that's what I call real Home Care!  ;D

Hi Bob,
So now you are in the rehab phase. Ain't it fun!! There is good reasons why I called my physical therapist a
Physical Terrorist.  Me with bionic knees and you with bionic hips. We should try to go through a metal detector together. We could set off all kinds of bells and whistles.
Do as you are told and don't sluff off on the exercises and soon you will be as good as new.

Helaine

Helaine's an expert in this rehab stuff.  She's practically a legend in Timber Valley for what she's been able to accomplish after her two knee replacements.

Before she ditched her canes, she scored some terrific bargains.  I was very proud of the "sexy" cane I bought in Algodones for $8 until Healine showed up with the very same cane she bought there for $3.  Bob, if you still need a cane when you reach Qz, please take note.  ::)

Margi

Bob,

QZ wouldn't be the same without you there as the grand rally marshal, welcoming everyone individually as they arrive. Although it's unlikely Chris and I will be there, I sure hope you'll be well enough to travel. Many folks here will be pulling for your continued recovery.

rsalhus said:
Another thing I wondered about was the wooden steps you had built leading up to the motorhome steps.  I remember you having a side entrance to your motorhome (which probably wouldn't be as hard to enter as a front entrance) but I imagine you still had trouble getting in and out with a walker.  How were you able to accomplish that by yourself?  And did you teach the Home Care nurses how to open and close the valves for your waste tanks when they got full if you were hooked up to a sewer?  Now that's what I call real Home Care!   ;D

Hello -- and thanks for the note.

I had the steps built -- certainly couldn't do that myself. The owner of the land I am on is a concrete contractor and builds steps all the time. He measured the walker legs, then had steps in place for me within an hour or so. The PT insisted I either get those steps built or have a pretty good reason why I didn't have them in place on her next visit. We first retracted the RV steps -- but then decided to not worry about them and built the walker steps above them so if they went in or out by mistake, they wouldn't collide with the walker steps. They brought a smile to the PT's face -- and that always made my day with her go better. :)

No -- fortunately, the PT, OT, or the RN that made Home Care visits did not have to get involved in my sewer chores. That would have been pushing my luck and am sure I would have seen three heads shaking in a "no way" direction . . .

The biggest frustration to me, especially during the 1st week was being alone most of the time. As mentioned, I was required to be flat on the back most of the time. I had bought a neat Euro Recliner that I wanted anyway - but pushed to have prior to my return from the hospital. It would allow me to adhere to the rule of keeping my knees below my hips whenever seated and was very comfortable. This would also allow me to do some work on my new laptop, watch TV or whatever. Plus it was very similar to the chair in my hospital room that was used by the PT there to show me how to get from my bed to that chair. So that was where I was sitting when the PT arrived at my rig for her first visit. Will never forget her reaction . . .

After saying hello -- she "immediately" asked, "WHAT are you doing in that chair?? It is too low, AND, notice how much your surgery leg has swollen since you left the hospital." She further explained that for the 1st couple of weeks, at least, I was to be in bed or on my couch (which she didn't like either) 85% of the time on my back to minimize the swelling. So was not able to use my burgundy color, leather, super neat Euro Chair for the next month <sigh>.

Getting into and out of bed by myself was a special and time consuming chore. I had a lasso kinda thing that I was instructed to use in the hospital that allowed me to rope my surgery leg foot without bending and move it as I shimmied my bod in or out of bed. So what was happening those first few days was that every time I got settled in bed -- I would discover something that I did not have within arms reach. When this happened to Helaine, she just yelled, "WALLY, get me a glass of water, or a pill, or a glass of wine -- or whatever". With me, I had to go thru the whole process of moving the leg again and such to get to the walker to get what  I needed. And nine times out of ten, when I got settled again, I discovered another item that I needed that was, of course, on the other side of my rig. :mad:  After a few days of this, I finally had moved most everything I needed to beside the bed -- plus had a mental check list I would go thru prior to getting back into bed each time.

I was "so" fortunate to have family and friends checking on me. It would not have worked otherwise -- but no one was there 24/7. So the above was my biggest frustration. Plus the boredom of being that way for the almost 3 weeks before the PT would let me even use my new steps to go outside for my walks. Her insistence that they be built right away was primarily a safety precaution. Can't describe what a happy camper I was when she first went with me and allowed my first walk outside. 8)

But now I am able to get around at last 50% of the time w/o even a cane -- and that is with no pain in that hip whatsoever. So again, it's a tough row to hoe for awhile, but the payoff is worth it. AND, I can sit in my new Euro Chair any time I feel like it . . .

Glad to hear the hip is doing so good. Mike and his ankles can certainly sympathize on the bone-on-bone pain...too bad they don't do ankle replacements.

Keep up the rehab and see you in Quartzsite.
Wendy

Bob and Helaine (or maybe Wally?), just be thankful you weren't in a big house!  :D  Hobbling along in a house would be much more of a challenge I should think.

When I broke my elbow in Oregon, we had to devise ways to elevate and protect my arm at night.  We had a small bedside cabinet and Jerry was able to rig up a sling using the door hardware so my arm was elevated.  After we got home I looked around our bed and decided it actually was better to have that happen in the motorhome because rigging up a sling with a bare wall would have been much more difficult.  Once again, it's all relative.  ;)

ArdraF

Following knee surgery, the only way I could get up and down stairs at our prior house was on my butt. When someone from work called for some info that was downstairs while I was in my upstairs office, I went down one stair at a time and told the guy "you're a pain in the butt".

Tom said:
QZ wouldn't be the same without you there as the grand rally marshal, welcoming everyone individually as they arrive. Although it's unlikely Chris and I will be there, I sure hope you'll be well enough to travel. Many folks here will be pulling for your continued recovery.

Thank you, Tom - I appreciate that comment.  I do enjoy greeting the members as they arrive and right now I have every intention of being there -- and will know for sure during the 1st week in January.

Actually, it's a thing of either greeting the occupants of an arriving rig -- or, it they are not RV Forum attendees, trying to talk them out of camping in our area. Bernie is especially good at handling that. Not sure exactly what he tells the driver  :) ???, but they always then do a U turn and go somewhere else.

Helaine & Wally said:
Do as you are told and don't sluff off on the exercises and soon you will be as good as new.

No problem doing what I was told w/Katy, my Home Care PT. If I didn't she would just smack me around a bit. :( Actually, the PT's so far have been extremely good at what they do. Katy's attention to detail and my safety were especially appreciated. I remember one day i disagreed with her on how something should be done and her response was, "Bob, I have doing this for 23 years now -- and you have been doing it for 1 and 1/2 days -- so let's no quibble over who knows what they are talking about."  :)

Thee was another situation where I wanted her to use some lotion on a rash that had developed beside my incision. It had bee prescribed for me years ago by a dermatologist - and she recommended that I not use it. I then insisted it would be OK. So she picked up her cell and dialed here direct line to my surgeon, who personally answered her ring - and he agreed with her that she was correct. I found it interesting that all the Home Care PT's have a direct hot line to every MD within the system. I asked if she would give me that number -- and she said, "Sure -- but I would then have to kill you."  :(

Helaine, I agree and am sure that my moving along as well as I have so far is from doing the exercises they recommend as often as they recommend doing them. I am now working with an Out Patient PT at the Kaiser hospital and am on stationary biles and such once a week. Kaiser does a very good job on their team approach to THR. BTW, I am about to purchase one of those stands to convert a street bike to a stationary bike. My surgeon will not let me ride the bike otherwise until I am very comfortable w/o a cane -- which will probably be another month or so.

Looking forward to seeing you and Wally in January . . .

Sound like you are getting great care from folk that take their profession seriously and have what is best for you in mind.  Keep up the good work.  Glad she didn't give you that direct line phone number since you would surely be missed. ;D ;D

Bob Buchanan said:
Thank you, Tom - I appreciate that comment.  I do enjoy greeting the members as they arrive and right now I have every intention of being there -- and will know for sure during the 1st week in January.

Actually, it's a thing of either greeting the occupants of an arriving rig -- or, it they are not RV Forum attendees, trying to talk them out of camping in our area. Bernie is especially good at handling that. Not sure exactly what he tells the driver  :) ???, but they always then do a U turn and go somewhere else.

Bob

I hope your recuperation continues as well as it has, we really would miss you if you missed QZ.

i have no desire to supplant you as the greeter, but if you aren't around and a stray wanders in to park, I just mention to him that there will be about 50 rigs surrounding him. As you said, they then do the U-turn. :D

BernieD said:
Bob

I hope your recuperation continues as well as it has, we really would miss you if you missed QZ.

i have no desire to supplant you as the greeter, but if you aren't around and a stray wanders in to park, I just mention to him that there will be about 50 rigs surrounding him. As you said, they then do the U-turn. :D

Have you ever mentioned what a noisy group we are? ;D ;D

But now I am able to get around at last 50% of the time w/o even a cane -- and that is with no pain in that hip whatsoever. So again, it's a tough row to hoe for awhile, but the payoff is worth it. AND, I can sit in my new Euro Chair any time I feel like it . . .

That's quite a story you tell Bob, I do find it all very interesting....

And not having any pain in that hip must make it all worthwhile now, I'm sure.  It sounds like at least part of your success is due to your diligence in doing what the PTs and OTs recommend.  Keep it up and keep us informed on how you're doing.

Back
Top Bottom