Gas or diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So far I learned that as far as MH goes, one have a choice of gas or diesel.  Gas have their engine upfront or under the driver, and diesel mostly at your tail, thus called the pusher. I also learned that diesel outlast gas many times over. So if you plan on driving a lot, you should pick a diesel? I also heard that as far as pick up is concern, diesel is slow and gas is faster.  Diesel also cost a lot more than gas engine. What do you guys think about each?  What is the critiria for choosing diesel over gas? or vice versa?

"I also heard that as far as pick up is concern, diesel is slow and gas is faster"

Huh.... ??? ;D ;D ;D

Future RVretiree said:
I also heard that as far as pick up is concern, diesel is slow and gas is faster.

Torque is what gets you going .... HP is what keeps you going. I have serious doubts that an engine the produces 500+ Ft Lbs of torque being slower on the get go than a gasser that only produces 250 or so Ft Lbs. The only gasser that even approaches the torque of a diesel is Fords V10.

Larry

The difference in pick up is probably because the gasser weighs 10-15,000 pounds less than the diesel.

Forget the "gas is faster" theory - that's old news from the pre-turbo days. Nowadays the kids buy diesel trucks because they outperform gas engines. A turbo-charged diesel has so much more low end torque than a gas engine that they beat the pants of all but the largest gas engines form a standing start. And once they are rolling, they can accelerate with the best of them too. But they run out of top end speed sooner because of the lower RPM range.

If money is no object, choose the diesel, whether truck or motorhome. And if you want to tow a trailer with a truck, go diesel. ON the motorhome end, gas vs diesel is a cost/benefit tradeoff.  A diesel pusher chassis is more than just a question of diesel vs gas - you get air suspension, rear engine quietness, greater weight capacity, an industrial grade transmission, etc.  You pay more, you get more and well yu sell it you get more back. But the upfront cost differential is a biggie.

A modern gas chassis motorhome performs well and is very satisfying to own and drive, but the diesel pushers are better. Enough better to justify the price? Only you can answer that.

By the way, there are front engine diesels (called FREDs - FRont Engine Diesels) and a rear engine gas chassis has just come out (Workhorse UFO) but I haven't seen a motorhome built on it yet.

I don't think that a diesel is going to weight 15000 pounds more than a gasser.  I would highly recommend the diesel if you're going to be out west, nothing climbs or pulls like a diesel. Sure diesel is a bit more, but you'll get better mileage with a diesel than a gasser.  Best friends own a diesel pusher now after trading their gasser in on it. I would say that the diesel is much better.

for a new MH, just how much different on purchasing cost between a gas and diesel pusher?  If its $10,000 or more I probably go with gas by the look of things. I estimate my annual miles driven should be between 8,000 - 15,000 miles. Very active the 1st 5 yrs,do all the sight seeing 1st,  probably will do more stayiing put than driving after that.

The price difference between gas and diesel pusher is typically in the $25k-$50k range because the differences run much deeper than engine alone.  A more apples-to-apples comparison would be a FRED chassis diesel vs a big gas chassis (e.g. Workhorse W24 or UFO) - they have similar transmissions, suspension, carrying capacity, etc. I believe the price difference there is around $10k for comparably equipped models. Couldn't find any current pricing to illustrate that, though.

Tiffin makes the Allegro Bay in similar gas and FRED models, so if you can find pricing on them you can get a good comparison. I think the Gulfstream Crescendo also has comparable gas and FRED offerings.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom