Motorhomes and Pets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MollysMom

Hi - I'd like to hear from others that travel with pets in motorhomes. 
Do you kennel your pets when you're on the road ?  I'm thinking I need to either kennel my dog or get one of those doggy seatbelts when we're on the road -
I figure I can shut the cat in the bathroom.
I just don't feel it would be safe for me or my pets to let them "run free" while I'm on the road. 
I would like to hear what other folks with pets do.
Thank you.

Our little ShihTzu Does her usual thing sleeps on blanket about 22 hrs a day, and working of 22 and 1/2.  Rest of the time she active as all get out.  Yawning, eating and going pottie. Her blanket goes on the blanket covering the couch and her food on a carpet pad under the small table behind the passenger seat.  Occasionally she'll get on her pad on the dash if the Sun isn't glaring in the windshield.  That doesn't happen too often,  it's too much exercise for her.

MollysMom said:
I just don't feel it would be safe for me or my pets to let them "run free" while I'm on the road. 

We travel in a Class A with a fifty pound dog who just lies on her blanket spread on one end of the couch while we are moving. I don't think she would stand to be tightly tethered for hours at a time.

That said we did have a terrifying drive the very first time out in RV during a typical November downpour in Seattle. As we passed through center city on the interstate (I-5) a good friend of mine, Hugo (a sixty-five pound All American Mix), panicked as an avalanche of water hit the roof from an overpass above. Hugo dove for the safest place he could find which was under my legs. So there I was, hurtling 24,000 pounds of unresponsive metal sixty miles an hour in the heavy rain with a stout dog wedged between my legs and the brake pedal. I tried to pull him out by his collar while keeping the rig from lurching into the lane on the right or careening into the barrier that separated us from the oncoming traffic on the left. And all the while my wife kept saying, rather stridently and very accusingly, "You?re going to strangle him!? We made it through without incident but it was pretty iffy for a short while.

Dexter

Pets in RVs are so common I'm beginning to think it is a requirement for RVing!  We have traveled with our Persian cat for many years. He sleeps under the recliner while we are in motion.

Many people cage their pets while traveling, usually in a standard pet carrier.

Our now one year old shitz tzu has never ridden in car or motor home with out being in a carrier. We call it her car seat and if we move it or touch it in any way she jumps in and is ready to go. It has a zipped door in front and a zippered opening on top. Her training started the day we picked her up at 7 weeks. As much as I wanted to hold and cuddle her on our 40 mile ride home I put her in the carrier and every time she tried to get out I put her back. She soon gave up and slept the rest of the way home. The rule is if the door is zipped shut she must stay in the carrier. If it is open she is free to come and go. We leave the top open so she can stick her head out and enjoy the ride but mostly she naps so she will have enough energy to run like mad when we stop for a break. So many new things to see and sniff.

It is all a matter of training that make the difference in how pets behave during travel, or anywhere else.  Sounds like Helaine has trained there dog very well as has Remys parents.

I on the other hand have a crazed pup !  She tries to be good but I don't want to litterally bet my live that she'll behave. 
I just can't really decide if I should kennel her, get her one of those seat belt things or just gate off the bedroom area.

Howdy Mollysmom.
We travel with Oreo, our 8 yr. old cat. Jack  bought her a cat crate which is collapsible. When we are driving, she stays in that crate. We feel that she is safe is there. She is very afraid of the engine noise and tried to hide under the brake pedal one time. No more of that!!!

regards,
Liz

You might check with your veterinarian. The last time I asked one, he said to put them in a crate (hard-sided dog carrier is the same I guess) and strap down the crate -- much safer than being loose, for them and for you. A breeder I know had several crated dogs in a van when it was rear-ended on the highway. She said that the dogs were fine, if shaken up, except two that unfortunately were directly impacted and did not make it. I agree that good basic training is the main thing for dogs and their people, travelling or not. Have fun!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom