Winterizing- leaving water in "Fresh Water Tank".

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr Bojangles

Hi All:
I have winterized my Small RV Trailer (R-Vision TS19RDB) and unable to COMPLETELY empty Water storage tank using drain valve.

Can one get away with leaving 1 ?? (inches) of water in plastic holding tank? There is a 1 1/4" plug on top of container, but, will not budge and appears to be sealed. (thought I had opened last year. AND, so old I can not remember what I did last year.

Can you get a small plastic hose in through the fill port and pump the water out using a hand type pump or a dirll motor pump?

Pull the fill hose off the top of the tank and run a hose from the anti freeze hookup to the bottom of the tank thru the fill hose connector. Also if it has the drain in the front of the trailer lower the jack as much as you can. I had an R-Vision trailer and the drain hose got plugged with plastic shavings. I blew it backwards and cleared them out. Also a little bit of water in the bottom won't hurt anything, at least thats what they told me. I looked at my tank and the drain hose was on the side and not in the bottom.

Thanks all.....
Yes..... drain hole on side here also......
And Ron, the fill plug on TOP of Container is stuck for now..... turning distorts the plugs (wrench/plier wedge) to point of breaking. I stopped before I broke it.

Most answers provided (another forum) say freezing of water will distort in upward direction, avoiding sideways expansion on walls of container. Thought/hoped as much but not trusting my judgement these days....

Thanks all

Here's the Florida method of winterizing: Leave lots of water in the fresh water and holding tanks 'cause when get a freeze, it won't be long enough or cold enough to freeze the tanks. A little heat or a bulb or two in the interior is enough to keep the water lines from freezing. So far, so good.  ;)

Bruce......
Why you no good...... dirty rat. Who do ya think your are?
Why I'll come..... Opps!  That was the old me..... and I can get there in a minute.
I know you are just kidding. So am I.
I'm afraid of allegators, like changes in weather. Arizona's climate, near Grand Canyon is what I like.
Have a nice day Bruce. You kidder you.....
Oh...., I spent two and a half years in Panhandle of Florida (Lower Alabama really, in Ft. Walton Beach, 56, 57 & 58). That was nice..... the weather changed enough that one noticed. Seen snow flurriers land and coat ground.

Bye

If you use my winterization method you can leave up to 80 gallons in just fine (Winter where it don't freeze)

5 gallons of water in an 80 gallon (or even a 10 gallon) tank should not be a problem IF, and I stress IF, you don't use the wet method of winterization (Pour anti-freeze into the tank) if you use wet-method #2 (Pump antifreeze in via the city water inlet) it will work fine 

I have the same design you do (leaves five gallons in tank) so I took a petcock valve (quarter turn) that fit the drain hole, I put a length of hose on the tank end (press-fit hose) and it lays on the bottom of the tank, I also added a 2nd lengfth of the same hose on the outside that, when draining hangs down below the bottom of the tank.

This siphons it out fairly well

You could do much the same (you will get wet, I don't) by simply removing the drain plug and any strainer behind it (Yes I had a strainer behind my drain plug) and inserting a hose while it's draining, let the water pressure "Prime" the siphon

I have had two small trailers, still have most of one of them.  (The other I traded in on the class A)

The one I traded in was a 13' Scamp.. The class A, I estimate, is 14' WIDE when fully set up (not counting awning)

The 80 gallon tank with the side drain is the Motor homes, the small trailers had bottom drains and those are much better, I did complain to Damon about the side drain.

I like the Class A a lot more :)

The drain valve on my tank has a pipe thread that fits into threads in the tank.  I remove the valve and it leaves a hole big enough to put in a piece of copper tubing curved to reach to the bottom.  With a little duct tape, I connect the tubing to a wet or dry vacuum.  After filling the vacuum 2 or 3 times, the water left in the tank is minimal.
Art

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cakes09
Back
Top Bottom