Sway control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zukIzzy

Hey all, I am new here but looks like a nice site.

I own an 03 Four Winds Infinity on a ford chassis Which has served us well and we have put 50,000 hard miles on it. It is time for new shocks brakes and such so my question is. For a better than average Mechanic who knows little about motorhomes, What specific products do you all recommend for sway controll? Shocks are easy but I have heard of panhard style bars and larger sway bars that seem to get rave reviews. where do I look for such products?

Thanks for the help

Wayne

zukIzzy said:
Hey all, I am new here but looks like a nice site.

I own an 03 Four Winds Infinity on a ford chassis Which has served us well and we have put 50,000 hard miles on it. It is time for new shocks brakes and such so my question is. For a better than average Mechanic who knows little about motorhomes, What specific products do you all recommend for sway controll? Shocks are easy but I have heard of panhard style bars and larger sway bars that seem to get rave reviews. where do I look for such products?

Thanks for the help

Wayne

When installing new shocks use Bilstiens or Koni, then inflate the tires PROPERLY by getting the coach weighed, preferrably at the end of each axle, and determining proper inflation pressure from you tire manufactuers inflation charts and lastly get a all wheel alignment.  Doing this you may find you do not need sway bars and such.

There are two brands of panhard rods for RVs - the Davis Tru-Track and the Henderson Super Steer Track Bar. Either is excellent and you can find multiple sources if you Google the names. The Davis is a front mounted bar and the Henderson is rear mounted. Any handman can install either one in a few hours.

But panhard rods are intended to stop steering wander rather than sway, which is a different thing (though sway also causes steering problems). To stop actual chassis sway, you probably need improved and/or additional anti-sway bars. Chances are your Four Winds has no rear sway bar at all and the front may be marginally sized. Roadmaster is one source.

Roadmaster is also a source for the Davis Tru Track bar - see HERE

RV roamer

The track bar looks like an easy one to build, no problem there. I think I will do shocks and the sway bar and give it a try. You are right there is no sway bar in the rear. I can do Panhards easy if I have to later. thanks for the links

Ron
I have had the coach weighed a couple times both loaded and unloaded, both axles and with both possible trailers. All Rv owners should do that just like changing the oil or checking tires it is necessary. Too bad the Manufacturs don't do so well at it, If they were more acurate we could use their #s but we all know how accurate they are ::)

I know it needs brakes again and the wheel bearings serviced. If I am going to have it down to do those things it only makes sence to try to fix the sway and wandering that has been there since new. Never bad enough to be undrivable but in a wind or bad hywy it keeps me on my toes.

thanks again

wayne

Roamer, Ultra Power also has a pan-hard bar for Ford and Workhorse chassis rigs (It's a rear unit) just so you know.  I've seen it, looks like it's well bult, can't say more than that.  I believe Roadmaster makes both Front and Rear bars under the "Davis" name but please double check before quoting me on that.  I only have the front one.

I can tell you this, The "Sway" to mean side to side rocking, as opposed to something closer to fish-tailing, confused me for the longest time.. In finally figured it out, but I suspect when someone says "Sway" they think exactly the same as a "Sway control" on a trailer ("Wagging or fish-tail like swinging) not rocking.

Why they use the same term to mean one thing for trailers, and another for motor homes... I have no clue but how it causes confusion... That, I fully understand.

It is good that you pointed it out to the OP.

John,
When you say "Ultra Power", are you talking about Brazel's RV Center?  I think they use the Ultra Power & UltraTrac names for their RV products. If so, it is the Davis Tru-Track Bar they sell for the front but they have their own UltraTrac rear bar. They also handle IPD sway bars.

Wayne,
Yes, you can build a panhard rod - I've heard from at least two people who have done so.

I was at SEMA yseterday and ran into the Roadmaster booth. I spent a bit chatting and they recomended the following.

Bilstein shocks,
Came stock on the 2003 done ;D

Rear sway bar.
Ordered from them yesterday.

Front track bar.
Easy build I will do next week when I do the rest of the maint.

they said that should do it but if not they then said bigger front sway bar, test again  and lastly rear track bar mounted right to left or opposite the front.

Looks like I have a plan.

Thanks for the help.

wayne

Back
Top Bottom