Rocking 'n rolling in the Bay area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ron said:
Best thing is living in an area that either Tornadoes or earthquakes are very infrequent or nonexistent.

Now let's see; Arizona has neither, no snow to shovel, no freezing weather (outside the mountains) to worry about for winterizing your RV, minimal insects, sunny skies and beautiful sunsets. Yeah we have our dry heat in the summer, but you can't have everything ;D ;D ;D

Amen Bernie  That's what I keep telling the wife's deaf ears

Dry or not, AZ is way too hot in the summer months for us. We prefer not to live somewhere where you have to get out of Dodge for several months a year, and prefer to have a year-round home base. We travel by land or water if and when we wish, with no concern about coming home "too soon".

Tom,

Glad to hear you and Chris and the Pennings are OK. Can't imagine what you felt as I felt a small shaking in Washington, DC and the quake was several hundred miles north! Can't remember exactly where but it was back in the '80's.

Jim,

I'd be more concerned about experiencing an earthquake in Washington DC than in California. At least most buildings here are designed to survive earthquakes. When we first came to CA and started house hunting I recall telling a colleague we were used to brick houses; He replied "if houses here were built out of bricks they'd fall down in an earthquake".

An observation of building designers here immediately after 9/11 was that those buildings would not have collapsed in the way they did had they been built to CA earthquake standards.

BernieD said:
Yeah we have our dry heat in the summer, but you can't have everything ;D ;D ;D

Hi Bernie:

Yes, you "do" have some dry heat in the summer. 8) :D

I've survived probably 10 or more earthquakes since moving to CA in the early 60's -- w/at least half of that time in the SF Bay Area. And for the past 8 or 9 years have spent time in AZ during the Winter -- and unfortunately, found myself in AZ during August and September a few times.

So my opinion differs a bit from yours. :)  I can't imagine living in Phoeniz or QZ during the 5 months of summer vs. not living in NCal for fear of an occassional 20 second earthquake. You may want to edit your post to read, "Yeah, we have our 115 to 120 degree dry heat in the summer. . ."  :eek:

However, I "will' say that Sacramento is "not" the most idea place to hang out in summer "or" winter. We get 115 degree days here off and on during the summer -- and the extended rain in the Winter sometimes is extremely depressing. Fortunately, Lake Tahoe and/or Reno or the Bay Area are only an hour so away. And If it weren't for my new bionic hip, I would be in AZ right now. :(

Actually, San Jose has one of the highest ranked "ideal" year round weather patternss in the US -- in terms of year round highs and lows and other weather stuff. My brother and his family have lived there since around '65 - and have never had more than a dish in a closet tip over during an earthquake. They finally installed an air conditioner a few years ago - and rarely ever use it.

Looking forward to seeing you in QZ, Bernie . . . :)

Bob Buchanan said:
San Jose has one of the highest ranked "ideal" year round weather patternss in the US -- in terms of year round highs and lows and other weather stuff.

A well deserved ranking IMO too Bob. We enjoyed the Santa Clara Valley; Lived in San Jose, worked in Santa Clara for 10 years before moving to Livermore, and I continued working in the SC valley for another 10+ years after that. But, one reason we moved from SJO was to get away from the awful traffic; As I used to say "too many people and too many cars in the south Bay", but the weather is tough to beat.

He replied "if houses here were built out of bricks they'd fall down in an earthquake".

So true!  Jerry's grandmother lived in Palo Alto during the 1906 earthquake.  She told us their brick fireplace chimney fell down and went right through the first floor.  The wood frame house survived just fine.  She showed it to us sometime in the 1970s but it has since been torn down to make way for "bigger 'n better."  She also told us about the original entrance to the Stanford University campus where she and "Pappy" attended school.  It had an arch across the road with statues.  Both the arch and statues came down during the earthquake.  Back in those days all students were required to attend chapel which in this case was the place known today as Stanford Chapel.  Before the earthquake statues of the 12 Apostles lined the front of the chapel and they were irreverantly referred to as "The Football Team" (Stanford was big in football back then).  All the Apostle statues fell over during the earthquake and were destroyed.  I attended a service in that same chapel just one week before the Loma Prieta earthquake in which the chapel dome - that I had been sitting under - collapsed.  I think Loma Prieta did more damage to the chapel than the one in '06.

San Jose has one of the highest ranked "ideal" year round weather patternss in the US

Bob, glad you said "one of the best" because Redwood City (our home for 29 years) owns the slogan "Government best by government test."  Sometime back in the 1940s our government did some kind of test in which they evaluated weather throughout the U.S.  They determined that Redwood City, California had the best weather in the country.  Redwood City promptly put signs up over the main streets entering town touting their place in weather history.  In the 1990s someone decided they should track down that old study.  Unfortunately it could not be found.  I will say that we were always amazed to be in bright sunshine at our home in Redwood Shores and look all around the bay and see fog everywhere else.  We really did have excellent weather and that was one thing that made us stay there all those years.

Just a little history and nostalgia today!

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I attended a service in that same chapel just one week before the Loma Prieta earthquake in which the chapel dome - that I had been sitting under - collapsed.

That's a scary thought Ardra!

Yes it was!  When I saw the photos in the newspaper - taken inside - I just about died.  I could have been under all that pile of rocks!

ArdraF

Ardra,

When the Cypress structure (elevated section of freeway) collapsed in Oakland, we were due to be on that structure at the same time the following day headed to Berkley YC. Phew, dodged a bullet there.

BernieD said:
Now that's in Arizona, RIGHT ;D ;D

Yep, as mentioned in my note -- I prefer the weather in AZ over Sacto in NCal in a Winter month such as January. However, along about May, those in AZ begin heading North out of areas such Phoenix and QZ because the weather has already started becoming too miserable for most humans. Some even head to NCal dispite the Earthquake situation.

BTW, Bernie -- where were you in late May, early June?  ??? ??? ;)

Tom said:
When the Cypress structure (elevated section of freeway) collapsed in Oakland, we were due to be on that structure at the same time the following day headed to Berkley YC. Phew, dodged a bullet there.

When I first moved to the Bay Area I took an apartment in Alameda. My commute each day for about a year to an from Alameda and SF was the entire length of the section that collapsed. I sure thought about that a lot as I looked at those pics afterward -- and the vehicles that were crushed between the two levels of pavement. Let's see, I believe the bottom lanes were North bound and the top South bound so my AM commute was was via the lower lanes. And then the city streets were below that. Of course, once off the island for any reason I could have been on that stretch at most any hour.

The '89 quake was years after that -- but in earthquake years, it could have happened any time. I believe the magic prediction number now is about 32 years. That means at the rate the Farallon Islands are moving North (hence all land mass West of the San Andreas fault) and the correspnding stress that is building -- the next "big one" is likely to occur. :eek: :( :eek:

Bob Buchanan said:
I sure thought about that a lot as I looked at those pics afterward -- and the vehicles that were crushed between the two levels of pavement.

Must have an eerie feeling to see those pics, knowing you'd commuted on that road Bob.

Bob Buchanan said:
BTW, Bernie -- where were you in late May, early June?  ??? ??? ;)

Bob

Actually we were in Sacto for the Jazz Festival and Marin County to see a new baby grand nephew. Moab gives us an early start, otherwise we would have still been home in AZ.

Tom,

I still wonder about the total collapse of the twin towers. I know some feel there were explosives placed before the planes hit but I would more likely believe the construction standards were not followed and some contractors had taken shortcuts. I agree buildings in DC sure wouldn't stand up like those in CA!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom