Rotten wood or rotten luck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afdds

Question for you experts.......We had a Wilderness TT that was totaled by the insurance company with wood rot that couldn't be fixed.   I had breast cancer for about a year and sad to say the TT went through a couple of hurricanes without being checked for leaks.

Here is my question.....If we upgrade to a Class C, is there a difference in the way the sides walls are made?  We had a leak coming through the side panels of the TT, which made the wood around the window and floor turn too mush.   We knew there was a problem with the side panels within the first month or so.  However, we took the TT in for repairs and thought everything was good to go. This is a brand new TT that we are talking about.  Within three years the wood was gone.  I don't want to make the same mistake twice.   If we purchase a TT again it would be full side not panels,(sorry, I don't know the name for type of siding. ???)  But wishing for a MH!

Thanks for the help!

Mostly RVs are made with either metal or fiberglass laminated walls. A few high end models have sheet metal siding rather than the more usual corrugated type that is found on entry level models. Everything in between in a fiberglass skin over laminate construction.

But the outer siding is irrelevant if you get any water intrusion. Inspecting and maintaining seams around windows, front & rear caps, roof line and roof openings (skylights and such) is a requirement and should be done at least annually.

Thanks guys,
  I've just learned a few more must have "words" for RVing.  No corrugated walls this time,if purchasing a TT.  Aluminum frame is something to look into. 
  Let me see if I can rephrase my question.  Is there a difference if you purchase a fiberglass skin TT vs a Class C?  Is there the same risk factor with water intrusion? 
  How do you find out which models have a aluminum frame?  Is there a list or do I need to check each manufactures web site?  I'm guessing aluminum would throw me out of the ball park with my purchase price.

Ok, one more question.....We didn't notice anything going on with the trailer until I fell threw the floor (queen walk around... and it was by the window)  We didn't see anything from the outside.  Won't blame it all on cancer, but I just missed one annual check up.  Ouch!  Yep, hubby should have taken it in for the check up, but I'm the driver.  I'm still kicking myself.    How do you notice these things from the outside of the wall?

Back
Top Bottom