2001, 35 RP, Allegro Bay Pusher

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

Just curious but would towing a 24' trailer be a problem for this bus with a 330 Cat.  Weight pulled would be the trailer, a small Colorado Pickup and one 430lb BMW motorcycle.  I figure it would be between 4000 to 6000lbs.  Sure appreciate any keen insights...Thanks, Phil

Phil

The Allegro bus is probably on a Freightliner chassis with only a 5k# towing capacity. The hitch might be either 3,500 or 5,000# capacity. So you'll have to get more exact weights. I had a '98 FL chassis with the 275hp CAT and towed a 4,500# loaded trailer across the country without issue. The factory did replace the 3,500# hitch with a 5k one first.

Only way to tell is to get the DOT weight ratings and the hitch rating for the Allegro.  Like Bernie said the hitch rating not be enouph.

Don't forget to run the calculations throough our example here.

We have a 36' Allegro Bus.  It's on a freightliner chassis and has a hitch rating of #10,000.  That's one reason we like it.  We could pull our 7500# horse trailer full of horses and equipment.  Most Allegro Buses have the 10,000# hitch.  I would bet that your Allegro Bus does also.

I would still have your coach weighted.  If you look on the silver plate near the floor by the driver's seat, it will give you the GVR (gross vehicle rating...coach by itself) and the CGVR (Combined gross vehicle rating...coach and anything you are pulling). 

This may not apply to your coach; but our GVR is 27,100 # and our CGVR is 37,100#

Marsha~

Its 64 ft,  Don't forget about the tongue of the trailer,  Might even be 65"  Hell getting in and out of even FJ fuel stops.   Been there done that.  JMO

Sold the MH and still have the 24ft enclosed car hauler for sale,

Like all things you hear you need to verify.  Turns out this little Allegro Bay has one slide, is a 2001, has the Cat 330 and is 35'.  I guess I could squeeze in a 24' trailer.  Shayne, what do you want for that 24' car hauler?

Phil

Phil,

There is one thing you need to get figured out:  whether it's a Bay or a Bus?  There is a big difference between the two.  Which is it? 

The silver plate on the side of the driver's seat inside the coach will tell you what you need to know.

Marsha~

$6500  Has 4 Auto Ty=down straps, Spare, and Racks.  Grey in Color.  Ramp door in Rear and doors on both sides.

Marsha, I think it is the Bay series.  It hsa many options and is a nice little Bus.  I know there is a difference but what things would be of concern to you?  Appreciate the input.  Thanks, Phil

motojavaphil said:
Marsha, I think it is the Bay series.  It hsa many options and is a nice little Bus.  I know there is a difference but what things would be of concern to you?  Appreciate the input.  Thanks, Phil

I was under the impression the Allegro Bay series are gas powered Workhorse or Ford chassis and the Allegro Bus series are Diesel powered.

Hi Phil,

Ron is right, the Allegro Bays are gas on the Ford or Workhorse chassis; the Allegro Bus is diesel on Frieghtliner and now Spartan chassis.  That's why I wondered if you knew what you had... ;D  You have a Bus on a freightliner chassis if it is a diesel.    We have a 03, one slide, 330 Cat on a Freightliner with IFS.

You asked about the difference between a BAy and a Bus.  Since we just went on the Tiffin manufacturing tour, I'll give you the "speel" we heard from the tour guide.  "the Allegro Bus has more quality...ie. solid wood cabinets, more appointments...ie lighting, more extras....and a better built coach".  The rankings and the costs of their coachs are as follows from their highest costing coach to the lowest:

Zepher
Bus
Phaeton
Bay (now comes in with the Fred diesel engine as well)
Open Road

However, having said that, the Phaeton is the best selling Tiffin Unit at the moment.

Not sure I've answered your question...so keep asking away, if I haven't.
Marsha~

Allegro. is lowest on Tiffin official web site. It doesn't list 'Open Road'  Tiffin has improved their site lately.  To my knowledge, they are the only MFG still increasing production during this resent down turn in the RV industry.  Loyal customers are driving sales but with fuel at $3.00+ they might even have to slow down.

Sorry for all the confusion.  I have put in the model and year if you want to look it up.  It indeed has a 330 Cat. It has the Freightliner chasis, 6 speed Allison, tile floor.  I am not certain about IFS although I think it has that as it drove extremely well and there is discussion of alignment in the owners manual.  It does have airbag suspension.  No driver side door.  It was just serviced and has new tires.  I drove it and it handled extremely well, I suspect we will have no trouble with a toad from the power standpoint.  The previous owner, who was the original owner, kept it very well.  It has many appointments such as an ice maker, two a/c's, exhaust brake, al wheels, aux battery, rear heater,  a 16' slide, power mirrors and defrost and comes with a blue ox hitch and brake.  We decided to buy it, seems like a great way to get into MH's.  We have decided to get an extended warranty.  We plan to replace the couch with some Euros and put a flat screen TV/Computer desk across from them.
We will miss our Excel 5r as it is a good rig.  We figure the MH will serve our needs much better at this time.  We will be selling our 08 F450 that is almost new, less than 2000 miles.  Thart is the heartbreaker for me.

Thanks for all the advice, will keep you posted.
Phil   

motojavaphil said:
.....We have decided to get an extended warranty.....

Phil,

You didn't say but I would advise you to get the extended warranty on your own and NOT buy it from the dealer. Dealers make a lot of money selling extended warranties. You can get the same coverage for a lot less money buying one on your own. IMO

Alaskansnowbirds said:
Phil,

You didn't say but I would advise you to get the extended warranty on your own and NOT buy it from the dealer. Dealers make a lot of money selling extended warranties. You can get the same coverage for a lot less money buying one on your own. IMO

Just beware of Warranty Experts.  I read where they have been delisted by the BBB.

We are looking at the one offered by Good Sam and another offered by the Excel Dealer where we are purchasing the bus.  The folks at the Excel dealer are a small dealership in Moriarty NM, near my work.  I know the family and have found them to be honest and good people.  Before I sign on the dotted line I will look at the contract and make sure it is good.  We are being offered a three year warranty called the Supreme, one of three levels of which this is the highest, for about $1900.  We will have a $100 deductible.  The dealer told me the name and I forgot it and did not write it down.  I will give them a call Tuesday and get the name.  If it were a 5r I'd feel much more comfortable without a warranty but with the MH there are so many systems contained in the rig that it makes sense to pay someone to assume some of the risk.  It is transferrable and has provisions if we break down.  Seems reasonable, your thoughts?

Shayne, We decided to tow 4 down but your trailer would have been great.  Since the Blue Ox comes with this rig it would make sense to go 4 down.  I need to find a small 4X4 pickup that fits the weight constraints and and is a user friendly toad.

Phil                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

Be sure the extended warranty policy is an exclusionary one where they list only the items NOT covered.  They will exclude items like belts, batteries, etc., i.e.normal maintenance items.

Back
Top Bottom