2008 Tiffin Allegro FRED 32LA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
Thanks for the update, Bruce. I recently talked with another Allegro Open Road (FRED) owner, Don Watson, who reports nearly identical figures on his 32 footer.
It's always nice to have something to look forward to. I know diesel engines are broken-in till about 25/30,000 miles. With both of my previous diesel engines, the fuel mileage increased about 10 percent after the break-in period was over.

we also just upgraded from a 5 th wheel to an 2008 Allegro 32BA ford chassis, Id post a pic of mine but can't figure out how to yet. Maybe I need to try your mod of the registers.

wb6anp said:
we also just upgraded from a 5 th wheel to an 2008 Allegro 32BA ford chassis, Id post a pic of mine but can't figure out how to yet. Maybe I need to try your mod of the registers.

After you open the "Post Reply" window, click "Additional Options" located below the window. When that link opens, click "Browse" and you can search your computer for photos to post; if you want to post more than one photo, click on "(more attachments)".

TECHNOLOGY TRUMPS OLD 10A BATTERY CHARGER

In this thread I have talked about the benefits of carrying a 12 volt battery charger on the motorhome. I have carried my reliable Sears 10A battery charger on all of our RVs for a long time.
When we returned home with the Tiffin from our summer journey, I found my 2006 GMC diesel would not start.( http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail.php?id=704491 ) I knew with all the electronics on these newer vehicles, that there was always a slight current draw on the batteries when the engine was off.  At first, I tried to charge both MASSIVE 770 CCA batteries together. It was too much to ask of 10A, so I charged the drivers side first; it took about 24 hours to reach a full charge. The problem surfaced when the passenger battery would not come up to charge after 36 hours. I didn't know wither the old charger had pooped out, or the Delco battery was bad. I went to Walmart and found a new 15A battery charger for $49.00. I figured with 4 very LARGE batteries on the motorhome, the extra 50 percent power would be welcomed; especially when charging the two BIG  6 volt golf cart batteries, that make up the Tiffin "house" supply.
I applied the new 15A charger to the trucks second battery, the one the 10A couldn't charge. After a couple of minutes, the charger's LED voltage display, change from reading the charge level, to the word "BAD."  When I researched this in the charger's owner manual, it simply stated: "bad battery."
The next day I took the battery in question to my local GMC dealer, where it was tested and found to have a bad cell. He gave me a new free BIGGER 800 CCA battery for the truck.
I have attached a photo of my new battery charger to this reply. Anyone interested in a battery charger, I highly recommend this Schumacher brand, available at all Walmart stores.
After unloading the Tiffin, I always charge the house batteries before returning it to storage. This new charger charged both depleted house batteries in less than half the time it used to take the older 10A Sears.

Attachments

• a NICE battery charger (Small).jpg
    a NICE battery charger (Small).jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 46
Thanks, Here is the pic of our new one. We just had all the pleated dya night shades changed out to the mcd day nigh shades, they are so much better we love them.

Attachments

• IMG_05811.jpg
    IMG_05811.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 49
wb6anp said:
Thanks, Here is the pic of our new one. We just had all the pleated dya night shades changed out to the mcd day nigh shades, they are so much better we love them.
What is a "mcd" shade? How about some pictures of the new "mcd" shades and a little more info on them. Was this a warranty issue, or did you just pay for them?

Tom said:
BT,

MCD is an aftermarket manufacturer of screens and shades. Here's their web site.
Thanks for the info, I had problems with our original day/night shades. In June 2008 we visited Tiffin's service facility in Red Bay, Alabama, all were replaced; the new shades aren't much better. Tiffin Service Department noted this in our coach's file and has agreed to fix the problem in June 2009, when we plan a return visit. I'm hoping by then, they will have a another manufacturer's product to install; if not, MCD may be an option.

Attachments

• RV2008 Tiffin - Red Bay, AL 016 (Small).jpg
    RV2008 Tiffin - Red Bay, AL 016 (Small).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 44
We payed for them they are so much better than the regular day night and when the night shade are pulled it is a complete blackout, except for the vents and sky light, will post pictures as soon as I get out to my unit to take some. The day shades are like a screen but block the uv and makes it hard to see in from the outside, but you can still see out , the night sheds are available in different materials, we got an upgrade fabric that matches the interior nicely, If you get a chance to see a new , 2009, tiffin they are putting the mcd shades in some of them.

Our motorhome is now just about a year old and I'm getting ready to start servicing it. Freightliner wants the rear axle differental oil changed at 6,000 miles and annually after that. I agree with the inital change, but annually? How often does everyone change this oil?
Most differential wear occurs during the break-in period. Because differentials are not equipped with filters, break-in metals are suspended in the oil, causing increased wear as the particles mesh between the gears. Hauling heavy loads and towing heavy trailers cause additional stress to the differential during the break-in period and can cause premature differential damage or failure.
This is the main reason I agree with the FIRST 6,000 mile change. Ford's heavy duty pick-ups call for every 30,000 miles or two years; this sound about right to me. I would not be surprised to find that Freightliner annual recommendation is ONLY to get business into their shops. I have heard they charge motorhome's MUCH more for service than an equivalent truck.
I'm going to purchase six quarts, it takes 5.8 quarts for a refill, of Pennzoil's GL-5, SAE 80/90 Hypoid gear oil today at Walmart. I have a 15 quart drain pan that will handle this chore. When I do the engine oil in November, I plan to purchase one of these:58 Quart Oil Drain Pan

Attachments

• Motorhome Service 001 (Small).jpg
    Motorhome Service 001 (Small).jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Motorhome Service 002 (Small).jpg
    Motorhome Service 002 (Small).jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 36
When I changed our differential fluid, they put synthetic oil in and it's good for 100,000 miles.  Changed it again last January at 104,000 miles with our M3 service.

The way most motorhomes are used, it's considered severe service and you use the appropriate maintenance schedule.

Freightliner put in the synthetic oil that they use for all their vehicles.  I don't have the exact brand name but I doubt there's much difference between brands.

Bruce,

We have a 2003 Allegro Bus DP on a freightliner chassis and at the first oil change at 5,000 miles had frieghtliner put in "Transynd" transmission fluid.  

If you decide not to go with a synthetic fluid, I would most definitely follow the manufacturer's suggested schedule.  That way you have done everything on your end in case something serious goes wrong.  The last thing I want is for a manufacturer to say I didn't follow the recommended maintenance schedule which gets them off the hook.

Like Ned, we follow the "sever use" maintenance schedule.  

Marsha~

I was specifically referring to the differential oil as that was the original question.  We do have Transynd in the transmission.

Here are some pics of mcd American Duo shades. 1st pic is all shades up, 2nd is day shade down, 3rd night shades down, 4th no shade, 5th day shade, 6 no shade, 7 day shade (no Flash), night shade (no flash)

Attachments

• IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0588.jpg
    IMG_0588.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0585.jpg
    IMG_0585.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0587.jpg
    IMG_0587.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0591.jpg
    IMG_0591.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 50
wb6anp said:
Here are some pics of mcd American Duo shades. 1st pic is all shades up, 2nd is day shade down, 3rd night shades down, 4th no shade, 5th day shade, 6 no shade, 7 day shade (no Flash), night shade (no flash)
Thanks for the photos, looks like you got the hang of adding them to your reply! Are you happy with the quality of the workmanship?

Back
Top Bottom