Unhitch, level and stabilize faster!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afdds

Ok, so we decided to buy another TT instead of a motor home.  I do the driving and hubby does the set-up. What can we purchase to make his job easier.  I'm not to fond of the four letter words when it's hot outside and DH is cranking everything up and down.
  Starting my research...What is the difference between an electric tongue and a hydraulic Tongue.  Looking at the Bigfoot hydraulic tongue jack.
  Also DH (dear husband) would like automatic level and/or stabilizing jacks. 

These features were one reason we were looking at motor homes.  I know if seems over kill for a TT but it's just the two of us now and getting too old to crank everything.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..... :)

To make set up quicker, I made up some lightweight blocks I place under the stabilizers, then use a cordless 18 volt electric drill to run the stabilizers down.  It makes quick work of putting down the stabilizers and seems to provide a more steady setup than if I run the stabilizers down all the way to the ground surface.

A lot of folks do what Lowell does.  I have the blocks, but I haven't gotten around to making my drill bit thingy yet.  I actually thought of it long before I ever saw mention of it, but it makes me feel good I'm not the only one thinking likt that.

I don't know what the difference is between a "an electric tongue and a hydraulic Tongue", but I have an electric jack I put on mine (got it from my Dad after he sold his TrailManor and got a 5er).  Man is that the greatest thing since sliced bread!  Very easy to install if the TT doesn't come with one...took me about 30 minutes, including running wiring to the battery.  It sure makes jacking the TT up and down sooooooo much easier.

Get some of the little levels to stick to the outside of the TT.  One on the front for side to side leveling, and one on the side for front to back leveling. 

I also recommend the Lynx Blocks for leveling under the tires.  They store super easy, and are easy to deal with as far as stacking.  Much easier to handle than 2X8's.

Get yourself a good checklist for setup and teardown.  I believe there are some here in the Library.  Customize them for your particular situation (you'll be able to customize a standard list after the first trip or two).  And use it!  If you don't, you'll end up forgetting something like the antenna, or the door step, or the vent cover.  Hopefully you won't forget to put the slides in, but I've heard thost horror stories also.

Uh, I'm sure there's more, but this is a good start.

edjunior said:
Get yourself a good checklist for setup and teardown.  I believe there are some here in the Library.

There sure ar Ed. Folks can see them by click the Library button above and selecting Checklists.

Thanks guys!  We've got the plastic blocks.  Never thought about the drill.  I was just reading the HWH web site and they said it helps prevent twisted frame.  I was just hoping to push a button and it do all the stuff for us.  Just thought someone with a TT might have this installed and was willing to share some information.

Back
Top Bottom