Where are the best places to go RVing in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvfan001

Hey Guys,

I am planning a Canadian trip for next summer...

What are some of the best places to go rv-ing in the Great White North?

Thanks  ;D

Check the trip reports in our forum library - click the Library button in the toolbar above and select Trip reports.

The Banff/Lake Louise area is high on our list of Canadian stops, also Vancouver Island and Victoria.

The Maritimes are great too, including Newfoundland.  The Bay of Fundy is amazing, especially at the "Flower Pots" but be sure to stay there long enough to see them at both high and low tides.

The Gaspe Peninsula is nice IF the weather is good which we got on our third try.

ArdraF

We're over 3,000 miles Coast to coast to coast.  Where are you at, and where are you thinking of going.  I'm from the Maritimes, so know it well, but I've travelled a fair bit, and there's lots to see.  What are your interests, ie do you like to fish, if so, lots of fresh or salt water fishing.  Sight seeing, there's plenty of rugged coast lines either east or west, or even along the Great Lakes.  Lots of open area, or even a few cities that you likely couldn't tell much difference from thos in the States.  Give us a hint, and we'll help out, we all love to spout off with our opinions

We enjoyed all of the spots in the Yukon on our way into Alaska.  We took a side trip  all the way up to Inuvik.  450 miles of gravel road.  Took this ride in the car, NOT the motorhome.  From what I have seen of Canada, all of the spots are wonderful.  We enjoyed the ice fields in Jasper too.

Betty

When you say "Canada", we are talking half a continent of glorious places. Would you say "we are going to America - where should we go?".  Can you narrow it down a bit?

Personally we love western Canada, BC, Yukon and western Alberta (Jasper & Banff, Calgary, etc) but that is still only a small portion of the country.

One thing that caught me off guard traveling within Quebec (including Gaspe area) is that pretty much all RV parks I've been to close by 11PM so you HAVE to plan to arrive / check-in before that otherwise you can't get in.  Not sure if this is common in any other areas but I've never seen it elsewhere in my (limited) travels in the US and Canada.

Michelb,

I think you'll find quite a few campgrounds here in the U.S. close the office after most people have arrived.  They usually have a self-checkin arrangement for those arriving later.  For example, if you have a reservation, there may be a sign telling late arrivals what site they have been assigned.  Without a reservation, they generally tell you to select an empty site and they'll get to you in the morning or they ask you to leave your money in an envelope that is put into a slot.  How they handle late arrivals varies by location.  They'll often also tell you where to find the campground manager.  If you go to one of the very large parks, they may have someone on duty all night as a security measure.

ArdraF

michelb said:
One thing that caught me off guard traveling within Quebec (including Gaspe area) is that pretty much all RV parks I've been to close by 11PM so you HAVE to plan to arrive / check-in before that otherwise you can't get in.  Not sure if this is common in any other areas but I've never seen it elsewhere in my (limited) travels in the US and Canada.

By 11PM we will have been off the road already for about 8 hours enjoying ourselves.  We have no problem with RV parks closing the office even at 6PM.

Michel,

Do you mean they close the gate to the campground? I've seen a few campgrounds in the U.S. that do that. I don't know whether to feel safe or be worried I can't get out in the event of a CG fire. It's more common at state or regional parks, but I've seen it at private campgrounds too.

I don't think we would stay in a campground that felt it was ok to lock us in at night.  I am afraid if we did and I felt the need to get out in case of an emergency their gate or lock would be history.

Every campground we've stayed at that closed a gate a night, didn't really lock it.  It was always able to be opened.  There may have even been a chain and lock but the lock wasn't locked and the chain was easily removed.  To do otherwise would probably be in violation of local and state laws regarding emergency access.

Update on 11pm gate in Quebec

We visited about 10 different parks (some public, mostly private) and all but 1 was gated/closed after 11pm.  I believe all of them allowed you do leave (had an exit only gate with sensor or some other way to open the gate) but I think only one of them (public) provided access cards so that you can re-enter in a vehicle after hours.  Most did have a large parking area that wasn't fenced in so that if you did leave with your toad or something and you can come back late you could leave your car in the parking area and walk back to where your RV is setup.  It's really more an issue if you like to check-in late (i.e. no 'self check-in' drop box) and / or don't have a toad so actually travel around in the RV.  (we travel with a young child and it's often easier / better to drive while he sleeps in his car seat (so that he can be out and about during the day) so we often drive from 7PM-1AM).

As mentioned, it probably wouldn't affect many but it's good to know beforehand (first night we boondocked in the parking lot and another night I think we got caught in traffic and barely made it in.  We also had to adjust our destination on a few occasions).

Like I said, I'm not sure if it's common enough but up until then, I think every other campground we had been to had always had a 'self check-in' and allowed later arrivals (which I guess can be disruptive but probably no more than other campers who are just making noise (i.e. even in small / tight / close campgrounds, I don't think it's all that hard to setup quickly and quietly as to not disturb your neighbors if you arrive late)).

You got to consider you are in Quebec and having lived there for over 3 years nothing would surprise me when it comes to inconvenience and rudeness, unlike the rest of Canada which is a great friendly country

Ron,

I'll put my fifty years up against your three years in Quebec, to say although there have been issues in past years that unfortunately affected visitors to Canada, as one who has traveled extensively, as I know you have, you would probably be the first to admit you cannot indict an entire group of people because of the behaviour of a few.

Eastern Canada, including the Province of Quebec offers historic areas preserved for over 300 years, along with hospitality and friendliness equal to and often surpassing that which I have encountered in other parts of North America.

Like you, I have encountered occasional unfriendly, and even hostile behaviour by people in both my Country as well as yours.

I have not allowed this bad behaviour by a few to deter me from visiting and/or living in some of those places and would not discourage others from doing so.

Steve said:
Like you, I have encountered occasional unfriendly, and even hostile behaviour by people in both my Country as well as yours.

As an American who lived and worked in a number of different of countries for most of my life I figured out how the bad image Americans have in some places could be easily corrected - all that is needed is for all American tourists, laborers and military personel to tell everyone they meet that they are Canadian. Of course that won't help Canada's image but that is their problem.

Dexter

See the problem with that Dexter is that Americans are  proud of where they are from so by saying they are Canadian would never happen . And that is why us Canadians love you guys !! Even though there are some that would try it and not care about our reputation for being helpful and friendly we just tie those ones up and  beat them with stupid sticks !!   

Unless you want to be driving all the time, you have to break Canada into big sections, and just try to do one.
Starting at the west, there is 1.Vancouver and British Colombia
2. The Rockies, Jasper to Banff Highway, with a long side trip up the Dempster to the Arctic Circle and Inuvik on the Arctic Ocean, or a shorter sidetrip into the Prairies.
3. The prairies, quite a bit of driving but includes one of the greatest dinosaur centres in the world. The prairies are a more cultivated taste, but there are ample interesting venues.
4. Ontario is very much like the US and is a three day drive across. Best ignored. Lots of nice cottage country, though.
5. Quebec City and Montreal. This the 400th anniversary of Quebec City and it is one huge party, but space may be at a premium.
6. The Maritimes and the Gaspe. Slower pace and lots of ocean scenery in a small package. PEI and Cape Breton. Whales. Fishing. Lobsters. King's Landing Historical Settlement.
7. Newfoundland  priceless.  But book the ferry early.

(I may be a bit biased against Ontario, but it's vast bulk prevents me from getting from my home in the Maritimes to the Prairies and BC)

Offered as a quick thumbnail sketch
Rankjo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom