Towing GMC Acadia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
A friend has been looking at the Acadia, but a dealer told him it can't be towed all 4 down. However, I know that Gary recently towed his Acadia across country and back, so I said I'd ask here. Are any modifications such as a lube pump needed to be able to tow the Acadia? Would this be 2WD or AWD? (The GMC web site shows AWD is optional.)

I also recall Gary saying that he was able to use a baseplate for another model, with only a slight modification of the brackets for tow cable hooks; Which one was that?

TIA.

Why not just have him call Remco and ask?

Both the 2WD and AWD models of the Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave are towable without any mods. Put the tranny in neutral, the key in Accessory and remove the 50A Batt #1 fuse to tow. Both Roadmaster and Blue OX now have base plates for all three cars.

The GM Service Bulletin describing the  procedure in detail is titled:
Supplemental Information on Recreational Vehicle and Trailer Towing and Trailer Wiring Accommodation for Non-V92 Equipped Vehicles #07-00-89-021A - (06/27/2007)

(The "non V92" wording refers to the trailer towing package and is relevant only to trailer towing instructions and not 4-down dinghy towing)

Thanks Gary. That's exactly what the guy needs. Too bad the dealers are so ill informed.

Ned,

That was my first response, but then remembered we know a source of first hand knowledge for this one.

If it's the same model and year as Gary's.  Towability can change from one year to the next, as we know.

I'd think that GM's supplemental information would be at least as reliable as Remco's  ???

Without asking the question, we (I) would never have known that document existed and nobody here has ever said "Remco told me to look in ABC manufacturer's Supplemental RV .... "

Well, you never mentioned the year or model, just Acadia.

Tom said:
I'd think that GM's supplemental information would be at least as reliable as Remco's  ???
Some how it doesn't suprise me that Remco towing information is more reliable than the manufacturer.

I've heard some rumblings lately that Remco isn't as generous with the  free advice as they once were. One caller reported he was told "we don't have a product for that model, so how would we now about towing it?"  Another was told the same info as on the website and the rep said that was all the info he had.  I don't know if this is a new policy or just a grumpy sales rep on an off day. I could see, however, how they might have gotten tired of providing free advice now that there are thousands of new RVers every year wanting to learn about toads.

RV Roamer said:
I've heard some rumblings lately that Remco isn't as generous with the  free advice as they once were. One caller reported he was told "we don't have a product for that model, so how would we now about towing it?"   Another was told the same info as on the website and the rep said that was all the info he had.   I don't know if this is a new policy or just a grumpy sales rep on an off day. I could see, however, how they might have gotten tired of providing free advice now that there are thousands of new RVers every year wanting to learn about toads.

I sure hope the rumors are in error.  Remco has been a good source of information as well as a good source for what ever is needed to make many vehicles towable.

Ron said:
Some how it doesn't suprise me that Remco towing information is more reliable than the manufacturer.

Who said they were? More reliable than their dealers, yes. But, after reading Gary's comments, I might need to rethink sending folks there.

I'm just repeating comments heard elsewhere and don't know how accurate they are or if the caller may have done/said something to trigger the alleged replies. I haven't called Remco myself in ages.

I am the friend that asked Tom to post the message about the Acadia. It all started when a local dealer told me it was not towable. I also called Remco and they told me the same thing, but they would probably have a pump to fit it.
I am looking for a new 2008 mid-size SUV to tow 4 wheels down with no pump, dolly or trailer. It also has to be able to tow our jet boat (2200lbs). We currently have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I love it. However my wife wants something different. We have looked at the Jeep, Saturn Vue XR, and the Acadia.
I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me on any other SUV's that are towable without any mod's.

Thanks

Dave

You've got the best reliable unit on the market in the GC Jeep  Shame she doesn't appreciate it.  We have a 2001, same unit and love it. My wife is satisfied with it ,  she even selected it and made the final buy. JMO

Besides the Acadia there is the Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave, badge brothers of the Acadia.  The Outlook is nearly indentical but the Enclave has some different front and rear styling and a more elegant interior. For a few more bucks, of course. The GMC Envoy and Chevy Trailblazer 4WD SUVS are also good candidates, as is the big Yukon 4WD.

In the Ford line I suggest the Edge or the Lincoln MKX. Both of those models use the same 6 speed transmission as the Acadia and do not require any messing around with the fuse to keep the battery alive. They are, however, smaller than an Acadia (closer to a Vue in size).

Just about all the Jeep SUVs are towable, but maybe a Commander isnt enough change from a Grand Cherokee?

Dave,

You could follow Al & Judy and buy a Hummer. But I doubt Lisa would go for that  ;D

Gary

Thanks for the new info. I'll start to look at the Ford, Lincoln & Enclave. I guess if I buy the Enclave I'll get to paly golf with Tiger Woods.

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom