Towing GMC Acadia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL Dave, how did I know she'd say that. She's one classy lady who knows what she wants and says what she thinks.

sparetime said:
I am the friend that asked Tom to post the message about the Acadia. It all started when a local dealer told me it was not towable. I also called Remco and they told me the same thing, but they would probably have a pump to fit it.
I am looking for a new 2008 mid-size SUV to tow 4 wheels down with no pump, dolly or trailer. It also has to be able to tow our jet boat (2200lbs). We currently have a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I love it. However my wife wants something different. We have looked at the Jeep, Saturn Vue XR, and the Acadia.
I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me on any other SUV's that are towable without any mod's.

Thanks

Dave

Sell me your GC.

RV Roamer said:
Besides the Acadia there is the Saturn Outlook and the Buick Enclave, badge brothers of the Acadia.  The Outlook is nearly indentical but the Enclave has some different front and rear styling and a more elegant interior. For a few more bucks, of course.

Gary

We looked at the Enclave today and fell in love with it. As usual the dealer said it does not tow 4 down. We then insisted on seeing the owners manual and guess what it sure does tow. All you have to do is disconnect the battery cable and away you go.
For any one thats interested Roadmaster makes all the brackets you need.
You were right on with the review you gave me. It sure is elegant.
Thanks for your help

Dave

The owner manual you saw is out of date - it does not reflect the new procedure. No need to disconnect battery - that was an interim procedure when the original one failed to work properly. Have the dealer look up the service bulletin I mentioned previously and verify it still applies to the Enclave.

I would upload a copy but it is on my other computer and is temporarily inaccessible.

RV Roamer said:
Both the 2WD and AWD models of the Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave are towable without any mods. Put the tranny in neutral, the key in Accessory and remove the 50A Batt #1 fuse to tow. Both Roadmaster and Blue OX now have base plates for all three cars.

The GM Service Bulletin describing the  procedure in detail is titled:
Supplemental Information on Recreational Vehicle and Trailer Towing and Trailer Wiring Accommodation for Non-V92 Equipped Vehicles #07-00-89-021A - (06/27/2007)

(The "non V92" wording refers to the trailer towing package and is relevant only to trailer towing instructions and not 4-down dinghy towing)

Gary

Thanks for your input on towing. As I said earlier it looks like we're going with the Enclave.
I read the GM service bulletin and am wondering if removing the 50A fuse would disable the cigarette lighters that I use to power my Brake Buddy.

Dave

Yes it will. You need to run a power line direct to the battery or from the coach 12v system. Either is easy enough to do.

You would have been better off with a air system such as the Brakemaster - needs no 12v power.

Gary

Thanks for the info. I've used the Brake Buddy with my Jeep for a few years now and never had a problem.
I guess I'll look into the Brakemaster or run a dedicated line to the battery.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Dave

Having used the Brake Buddy for towing well over 100K miles and seeing pronblems others have experienced with the Brakemaster I think the Brake buddy is far superior to the Brakemaster.

Ron,

I believe you're confusing the Brakemaster with the BrakePro. Check out the Brakemaster here. No box on the floor. Just hook up either an air or hydraulic line.

Tom said:
Ron,

I believe you're confusing the Brakemaster with the BrakePro. Check out the Brakemaster here. No box on the floor. Just hook up either an air or hydraulic line.

Hmmm, By golly I think maybe your right.  However if I was to spend money on an air system I think I would rather get an M&G at about the same cost.

I like the M&G, but I'm biased. The Brakemaster offers a good alternative, especially for folks who don't have air on their coach.

Tom said:
I like the M&G, but I'm biased. The Brakemaster offers a good alternative, especially for folks who don't have air on their coach.

I believe M&G also has a system that provides the necessary air etc for coaches without air.

Unfortunately the M&G system won't fit on the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave brake master cylinder. Another Acadia owner has already contacted M&G and reported that on another board. 

RV Roamer said:
Unfortunately the M&G system won't fit on the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave brake master cylinder. Another Acadia owner has already contacted M&G and reported that on another board. 
Hi Gary, I'm new to this and I'm hoping that you and some of the other folks here can help me.  I've got a Acadia (FWD) but since I lease vehicles, I don't think towing 4 down will be a good option because of the required modifications and cost to equip a new vehicle every couple of years.  I've been thinking of towing with a Kar Kaddy.  I'd really like to hear some experience on this as well as what electrical mods are necessary for lights/break lights on the Acadia.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
Sean :)

We had a tow dolly once before we knew better.  Didn't have it very long.  Just too much hassle.  Take my word you if you get one you will be looking at something you can tow 4 down soon.

Back
Top Bottom