Towing GMC Acadia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom

Thanks for the info. I have a call in to Roadmaster tech support about the braking system but have not heard back from them yet.
I will check with the dealership as well but I would tend not to trust what they say.
This whole thing started with me being told that the Acadia does NOT tow 4 down.

Dave

Gary

I just heard back from GM tech support and the Acadia does not have the active power assist braking system.
As of now it only appears to be in the Hummer H3.
Again thanks for all your help.

Dave

Dave,

What auxiliary braking system does Al use in his H3?

RV Roamer said:
Yes, I use a Brakemaster. Seems to work fine for the last 11k towing miles and I haven't heard of any "too sensitive" problems. I chose Brakemaster mostly because the coach was already equipped for it, so I only had to install the car side.  But its a solid, decent performing system and I am quite satisfied. Getting any wire or air line into the passenger cabin of an Acadia is a bit of a challenge cause I could not find any convenient opening in the firewall, but once I figured out  a place to make a hole (actually in the floor) it went easily enough.

M&G did not have a unit that would fit on the Acadia as of 4-5 months ago, but give them a call to see if anything has changed.

Gary

I ended up buying the Brakemaster for my Enclave. I am in the middle of installing it now and I have one more question for you.
Every thing is going fine but I can't figure out how the brake monitor light is going to work. As you know on your Acadia you have to pull the 50amp Batt 1 fuse to tow and the brake monitor light has to be connected to the brake light switch by the pedal. With the fuse pulled there is no power to that switch.
How did you overcome that problem.

Thanks

Dave

Actually, I haven't solved it. Originally I was using the Toad Charge and leaving the fuse in, but the Toad Charge proved to be insufficient for the power draw (!) and I recently installed the switch to shut off the fuse. Since then my brake indicator light works once or twice when I first start out and then quits until I shut off the engine and restart.  The coach engine, that is.  Don't know why that would have an effect. The behavior is strange - I would think it would not work at all. Rest assured we are only talking about an indicator light - the brake only needs air pressure and works fine.

There is still 12v power available in various places with the switch off - I think the console 12v outlet is still powered in mine, for example. I haven't determined if it is safe to route and extra power source to the brake wiring, though. Should be, but I'm still thinking about it and maybe some alternative.  Frankly, though, it hasn't been a priority for me.

Gary

I called roadmaster tech support today and they have a brake light switch to solve the problem (part #751221)
They told me not to run a lead from the battery to the existing switch but said you can to the new one.
I know its only a monitor light but we had a problem once with a previous braking system getting stuck down.
I figure $35.00 for the new switch is cheap insurance.

Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the tip on the aux brake switch - I hadn't got around to thinking of adding a secondary switch just for the purpose.  Nor would I have ever found it on the Roadmaster site without knowing it exists!  I see that there is now some info in the "Vehicle Specific" area for Acadia/Enclave/outlook. Just a couple months ago they didn't have those models in the index. Progress is being made.

Did they tell you where/how to order it? Usually have to go through a Roadmaster dealer and some of them don't know much about the odd parts like this.

Gary

I found a great website for roadmaster accessories (www.rvexit.com) I bought my brackets & brakemaster there and saved a ton over the local retail stores. They don't have the brake light switch listed so I gave them a call and they had it drop shipped to me.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom