On the way to Big Bend Nat'l PK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the info Marsha. I'm still not sure about Mr Sam and the javalinas but we've never been to Big Bend and think it may be worth a try. Organ Pipe was another on our list of possible camphost sites for next winter. Or we could always come back to Death Valley. And there are lots of really nice parks in the California desert that use volunteers. I'm sure we'll find something.

Wendy
Death Valley NP

Ardra,

I think some of the issue with Big Bend is that it's very dry and not much is green, so it looks rather dull.  I bet my mind would change if we saw it in the Spring.  One of the rangers said the variety of flowers in the park is pretty impressive.  They did have very good ranger presentations at various times of the day.  That part was great!

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Whiskyecho,.. Did you know that there was a review of the files and facts sometime later, and that Lt. Flipper was discharged with honors after the review.  The Review board stated they felt Lt. Flipper was discriminated against and unfairly treated..They are doing a very good job of refurbishing that fort.  It was really interesting.

Marsha~

(Posting a reply only as a student of Military History..):

Lt Flipper was brought up on charges of embezzling funds and of conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman.  The embezzlement charge was later dropped when the funds were replaced.

He was found guilty of the "conduct unbecoming" charge and was subsequently "dismissed" from the Service.

Almost 100 years later (?) his descendants appealed to the Army Board for the Correction of Military Records - the Board concluded that his punishment was too severe and unjust so it recommended that the Dismissal be changed to a good conduct discharge. 

The Army Secretary agreed with the Board's recommendation and directed that the Dismissal be changed to an Honorable Discharge.

(There were no "honors" bestowed upon the Lt and I've found nothing that says the Conduct Unbecoming charge was ever dropped).

Yes, whomever is involved in the Fort restoration is doing a fine job of it.....bill

Marsha and Barb:

We were also disappointed with Big Bend, but then to each his own.  I've got an interesting story to tell you about Stillwell's Ranch.  As said, it's about 3-4 miles from the Ranger Station, and the sites are nothing more than a gravel parking lot, but good enough for touring about.  The ranger station is about 25 miles from Rte. 90 and the campgrounds from there was another 25.  They told us at the gate that both campgrounds were FULL.  So we decided to check in at Stillwell's and then drove down to the campgrounds, just to see what was there.  There were lots of empty sites, so the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  Don't take the rangers word for it.  When we complained down at the campsites, we found out that the rangers just don't communicate with the consessionaires.  Or maybe they just didn't feel like checking anyone in that day.  It was late in the morning though, and they should have had their coffee break by then, so I don't know what their problem was.

However, back to Stillwells.  They have an interesting little museum there.  All about the homesteading of that place.  The matron of the ranch was then still alive, in her 80, 90s, I think.  She had come there with her parents in a covered wagon, near the end of the 1800s or early 1900s.  Lots of pictures and artifacts of settling that area and building a ranch.  Also learned a little about what it takes to run a ranch with 1000s of acres.  In order to help pay for the building that houses all these artifacts, they sold tiles and people could have their names and home towns put on them.  They were painted in a nice desert scene.  It is embedded in the wall by the door.  We started reading the names and almost all of them were given by local people in the near area, but near the bottom I spied one that said "Sebago Lake, Maine".  Since that was a village in our previous home town, we immediately went bug-eyed.  Read the names, and low and behold, we knew them.  Now who'd a thunk!  In the middle of no-where Texas to find someone we knew from the middle of no-where Maine.  We were astounded.  And still are.  Next time we got back there we looked them up and asked them about it.  They were there at the time of the building of the museum and were happy to contrbute to it.  They were just as astounded as we were to find out some one from home had found them out there.

Anyway, we thought it an interesting artifact that is a part of our traveling lifestyle....  :eek:  :D

Daisy

Daisy said:
.. they sold tiles and people could have their names and home towns put on them.  They were painted in a nice desert scene.  It is embedded in the wall by the door. 
Anyway, we thought it an interesting artifact that is a part of our traveling lifestyle....

Ever been to Luckenbach, Tx?  They do somewhat the same thing:

http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/shop25/item-detail.cfm?ID=CUbrick&storeid=27

Would suggest doing a Google Search for Luckenback, reading the history and then paying a visit for those who will be visiting the Hill Country.....bill

Barb,

Try to eat at The Cave Restaurant.  It's underground in a cave.  Ask locally where it is.  Also consider the campground at LAJITAS.  We loved both of these places.

http://www.lajitas.com

You may have to call ahead to find out about the campground.

On the way to or from Big Bend stop at Marfa, Texas for lunch or overnight (there is an honor system campground at the edge of town).  Marfa is where they filmed the famous movie "Giant" with Jimmy Dean.

JerryF

My comments on Big Bend is that it is OK but doesn't have a lot over many other similar parks and just wasn't exactly what we expected.  Like MArsha said timing is everything and I think we hit the wrong time.

The ranger talk one evening did mention that June is not the time to go and August is a good time to go...Hmmmm?

Windy when you and Mike are at the Park Campground watch out for the mad Javelina.  I callled him "CHUCKY" and he definitely does not like dogs and sneaks up on you very quietly.

Ardra we also visited Marfa briefly as I was interested in the mysterious Marfa lights so we stopped at the visitor/rest areas that was mentioned for viewing the lights and even called something like "Marfa Light Rest Area".  They had information everywhere about old air base and desert Biota but Nada info regards the lights.  Hmmmm?

Wendy when you and Mike arrive as camp hosts at Organ Pipe lets us know and we will be your first guests.  That is one of our favorite parks when everything is in bloom.

tim

Barb,

BTW, at the hotel (only one) in Marfa there are many photos and other movie stuff re the movie, GIANT.  We ate at the hotel.  It's easy to drive your MH with tow car attached through and around town (wide streets).  If you were coming in from the north to south the honor system campground is on the right just before town.  Great overnight no frills place to stay.  30 amp power as I remember.

JerryF

We went that way in June, only Amistad Rec Area was our destination.  We went to Seminole Canyon too.  We took the boat up the Rio Grande where it meets the Pecos River to see the prehistoric Indian drawings.  Beautiful scenery, just be sure and stay on your side of the river.  We also visited Judge Roy Bean's place.  It was much smaller than it looks in the movies.  We stayed in a funky campground in Del Rio too, Buzzard's Roost.  We stayed 3 nights because it was raining so hard.  They accepted Passport America for all 3 nights and gave a discount to our friends who were staying with us and only parking their truck and boat in a campsite.  We want to go to Big Bend next summer.  I've lived in Texas all my life and it amazes me that there is so much in the state I haven't seen (yet!)

cuts_up said:
I've lived in Texas all my life and it amazes me that there is so much in the state I haven't seen (yet!)

Texas is a very big State and has a lot of area to cover to see it all.  Just think of the challange Alaskans face trying to see all there is to see in the much larger state of Alaska.

JerArdra said:
Barb,

BTW, at the hotel (only one) in Marfa there are many photos and other movie stuff re the movie, GIANT.  We ate at the hotel.  It's easy to drive your MH with tow car attached through and around town (wide streets).  If you were coming in from the north to south the honor system campground is on the right just before town.  Great overnight no frills place to stay.  30 amp power as I remember.

JerryF

While in Marfa, did you see the lights?

Barb, as I recall there's a specific place people go to see the Marfa Lights so you'll have to ask a local where to go.  Hope you get to see something!

ArdraF

Our next door neighbors are the only people I've met who claim to have seen the Marfa lights.  They went to college and dated in that area so they probably spent a lot of time watching for the lights. We've been by the roadside rest stop where they told me to go to see them but no luck.  I'm not convinced that they are out there, but it makes a good story.

Back
Top Bottom