Sacramento Jazz Jubilee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cricketdaddy

As a native Sacramentan and longtime member of the Sacramento Traditional Jazz Society and Jazz Jubilee volunteer, I now live in L.A. and find myself in the odd position of returning home to my favorite event as a visitor. It's just, flat weird.

Here's the question: I know that the RV park at Cal Expo has been largely abandoned because the Jubilee was forced to leave Cal Expo as one if its main music venues. So, where do RVers live now when visiting the world's largest traditional jazz festival? I heard some boondocking was set up at Raley Field across the river. Anybody try that last year? How was it?

For the curious -- here's the website for the Jubilee: http://sacjazz.com/?page=home

IIRC Bernie attended the jazz festival this year, so maybe he'll see this topic and respond.

Dave

We parked at Raley Field last summer for the Jazz Festival. What a hoot, we heard 27 groups at 21 venues in 4 days. Great music.

Anyways, there was a large boondock area in the Raley Field parking lot across the street from the ballpark (there was 1 venue at the parking area and 2 at the ballpark), with good shuttle service between all the venue locations. It looked pretty full to me with maybe a couple of hundred RVs. Information for that should be available thru the event organizers. We belong to an FMCA chapter that has run rallies to and at the Jazz Festival for a number of years. With the move to Raley Field, our leader made arrangements with the "authorities" and an electrical service company (he uses them to supply power for his Rose Bowl Parade rally) to provide electric (good 30A). There were about 50 coaches parked in the powered area just beyond the boondock area. It worked well and we were quite happy with it. Haven't heard yet if there are plans to do it (electric) again next year. You could try contacting him to find out the status; Ed Waldheim at [email protected]. I would strongly recommend it if repeated, tho we have to miss it next year since we are heading east for the summer.

Bernie,

Thanks for the report on Raley Field. I'll be mulling over next year's vacation schedule within the next couple of months and may work that into my plans. I was a longtime volunteer at the Sacramento Jazz Jubilee. Worked at Freeway Gardens for twenty years or more. I still know some of the players but not as many. Great times.

Thanks again.

Dave

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom