Buying the Coachmen this week ! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AgileDobe

I'm driving a 2005 Chrysler Town & Country  3.8L V6 and am purchasing a new Coachmen 12 foot popup in St Pete Florida this week: it has dealer installed roof a/c , 3 way frig, furnace and roof ventilator fan, and weights about 2000# which should be compatible with the T&C extended van.
I have to add a porta potty to get by with and a batty and also would like to buy a quiet backup generator. I am getting heavy duty hitch done this week.
I am open to suggestions on:  the right size, brand generator to buy and best source to find it, and the same for the battery.
Also would like to know if the anti sway bar can be added later or if it is best done when the hitch is installed now?
Also, If I don't get a generator now, which of the items above will run entirely off Propane?
Thanks, Anne

The size of generator will depend on what you want to power with it. If you expect to run the a/c and a few other things, you will probably need a fairly large one.  What is the power consumption in amps of the a/c that was installed? They range from around 8 amps to as much as 13.5, depending on btu and model. That's 1000-1500 watts right there.  And an a/c demands a lot more power than that when initially starting up.  What else will be running off 120 VAC power?

When looking at generators, make sure the power rating you are looking at is for continuous duty, not just peak (short terms). It is common to advertise peak power but that is not what you need to go by.

Personally I like the Honda EU series of generators, e.g. the EU2000i which is a 2000 wat (peak) genset that is extremely smooth and quiet. Not cheap, though.

You can add a sway control later, but why wait? If you need one, you need it every time you tow.  They usually aren't real expensive.

Certainly not the choose of many here but enjoy just the same.

Thanks, Gary: about the generator, so far my most important use outsiide of using lights which the battery could cover, would be a/c since I am in Florida but not a
big worry with the current weather. I did see the Honda unit you mentioned, very nice.
I will pickup my unit on Saturday after my hitch is installed so for right now I will concentrate on getting an extension cord, and water hoses, and all the
little miscellaneous things. I plan to do a trial run over Thanksgiving about 20 miles from home for break-in experience, and then a larger
200 mile trip later in January.
It's a 12 foot, opens to 17 ft with 2 king beds, sofa, a/c, hot/cold water,  3 way, 3 burner  range, shower, roof exhaust fan, potti, electric brakes and extra cargo carrier on the front end
I am very excited of course, and can't wait to get it home to play with it!!
Anne

I forgot to congratulate you on the new rig - hope you have many happy miles/nights in it!

How often will you camp without power available? I realize it is a pop-up and will fit in a lot of primitive sites, but some folks always like to have some power available anyway and choose electric sites regardless.  If you decide to get a genset, you really want a quiet one because your neighbors will hate you otherwise. And if you run it all night (even an ultra quiet model) you better plan on standing guard by your tires and gas tank cause somebody may decide to get even.

Those $400 contractor model generators you see in the stores are pretty loud. It's not just exhaust noise that might be fixed with a better muffler - they vibrate all ver the place and produce all kinds of sounds from mechanical vibration sources.

I will opt for electric everytime, but must also play with it this weekend in the driveway
to get more familiar with everything as I hope to use it fairly locally next wkend. I need to
know :  closing the deal on Friday.
1  what gauge do I get for another 25 ft of extension cord, or should I get 50Ft, (included is a 25 ft ).
2- Y connector for water, is that a standard water hose Y male connector?
3- what type of hose is acceptable for fresh water filling and what about type for waste water, and how long?
4- do I need to buy some fuses for just in case situations? or is it a breaker type setup? (30 amp service )
5- dealer is including a deep cycle battery, don;t know brand yet- should I upgrade to a better battery now?
6- if it fits, should I upgrade fm 20 to 30 cu ft propane tank now?
7- what kind of electrical adaptors should I keep on hand?

Most of my camping will be a fairgrounds, arenas for canine competition events, ie the Tropical Park Equestrian center in Miami in January.
The model I chose is 24 ft when open, Travel length is 18 ft. I am installing a level 3 Reese hitch with load equalizer,automatic brake controller and trani cooler
Saturday, then I will bring the baby home to play with. It has overhead a/c  13.5 btu, 20 btu furnace, frig, shower, built in potti, 25 amp service inverter, and
electric brakes.
Thanks for all the input.
Anne

1  what gauge do I get for another 25 ft of extension cord, or should I get 50Ft, (included is a 25 ft ).

Depends on what the power draw is. If your trailer has a 15 amp  or 20 Amp power cord, I recommend a 12 gauge cord for 25 ft. 14 gauge is adequate, but 12 ga is better (less power loss).  If it has a 30A power plug, get a 10 gauge RV 30A power cord at Walmart or an Rv dealer.

2- Y connector for water, is that a standard water hose Y male connector?

Yes, any hose Y will work. Brass is best, though.

3- what type of hose is acceptable for fresh water filling and what about type for waste water, and how long?

Get a "potable water" hose at the RV dealer or Walmart. They are usually white.

4- do I need to buy some fuses for just in case situations? or is it a breaker type setup? (30 amp service )

The 12v system will have fuses - check to see what type and sizes. The 120V system will have brealers.

5- dealer is including a deep cycle battery, don;t know brand yet- should I upgrade to a better battery now?

Probably, if you intend to use it without 120V electrical hook-ups very often.  But you may as well wait for the pone he gives you to die - probably in 18-24 months.

6- if it fits, should I upgrade fm 20 to 30 cu ft propane tank now?

I assume you mean a 20 lb propane tank.  You probably don't need more propane unless you will use the furnace a lot. A 20 lb tank lasts a suprprising long time. A 30 lb tank is taller and may not fit well with a pop-up - might be better to carry a second 20 lb. There may be room to mount it and there are automatic changeover regulators available for an uninterrupted supply.

7- what kind of electrical adaptors should I keep on hand?

Assuming the trailer has a 15 or 20 amp plug, you probably don't need any adapters.  If it has a 30A plug, you might want a 30/15 adapter in case you need to plug it into a 15 amp (standard household) outlet.

Gary, the system states it has 25 amp service, and 30 amp hookup. I do want to connect it at home, and be
able to hook to 50 amp service at shows, and I will use the furnace rarely, so will stay with the 20 propane tank
for now. Is 25 ft fresh water hose long enough? And what gauge/amp extension do I need to add a 25 ft extension cord
if it comes with 30 amp service? Is walmart a safe place to buy this stuff?
thanks, Anne

The 30A RV extension cords at Wal*Mart are fine, as are the white RV fresh water hoses. Check out the article in our library on using extension cords.  *

Usually the 50A hook-up box also has a 30A and 20 A outlet in it.  However, you can buy an adapter that allows you to plug a 30a plug into a 50A outlet. Walmart doesn't usually carry those - not much demand for them.

In fact I have some used ones that I picked up from an RV park that was replacing all their loaner adapters. Contact me via email (icon under my avatar) if you are interested.

Walmart sells the same Camco brand RV accessories that most RV dealers sell, so its as good a place as any to buy routine stuff.

A 30A RV extension cord will have 10 gauge wire inside.

Back
Top Bottom