Inverter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acorn

Just a quick question for the electrical wizards.  If i only want to run my tv and dvd player for the kids could I just use a inverter from a store that plugs into my cigarette lighter.  This is only for when were driving to keep the kids content.  If this will work how big of one will i need?  They show 300w, 400w and even a 500w I believe?

Thanks for the help

Acorn

Acorn,

Look on the back of the TV, there should be a label that lists how many watts the unit uses. Same with the DVD player. Is the TV a tube type or LCD? Add up all the watts and get an inverter a little larger than the total. Watch the ratings on the inverters. What's listed on the box may be a surge rating. Make sure you get one that has a large enough continuous rating.

One caveat, it's against the law in most states to have a TV where the driver can see it while in motion.

You can get 12 volt DVD players (in fact I have one) and  you can get 12vdc portable TV's (I have one of those too) this avoids the need for an inverter.  However as others have said, read the label .

But remember CRT televisions have a sizable startup surge.. LCD's are way better at that. 

Next: As others have said. all states have laws which say no OPERATING televisions where driver can see them (NOTE: if the ride is parked, Jacks down, then you are NOT a driver even if you are sitting in the seat)

I know for a fact that the Michigan State Police have written that ticket (Thankfully not to me, I was the dispatcher who had to pass the section of law to the trooper)

John In Detroit said:
But remember CRT televisions have a sizable startup surge.. LCD's are way better at that. 

As John mentioned, although 20-25+ CRTs will probably run at under 200W (the smaller the TV, the less current it will use), they do need a lot more on startup and because of that you might not be able to use an inverter that plugs into the lighter (the lighter plugs don't allow very much amperage) and will need to wire the inverter directly to the battery.  It's not very hard to do though but you will need to put the inverter somewhere near the batteries (can't run very long 12V lines) and you will need to make sure it stays dry (if you are installing the inverter in the engine bay, you can maybe use a 'battery box').  Also if your batteries are in an enclosed compartment, I believe you don't want to but the inverter in the same compartment.  Once you found a suitable place for the inverter, you can just run an 115V extension cord back to the TV / DVD.  Not fancy but it will work and it's cheap.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom