Home winterization

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoggerdinger

Hey all!

This will be our 4th year going to Florida.  We live in Northern Maine.  Normally we leave our home heat (propane) set on 45 degrees.  Our home is 4 years old.
Our boiler has antifreeze in the lines. 
My question is how can we leave for the winter (Jan-May) and turn our heater off without damaging the home or pipes?
I would like to hear how to winterize the home.  I would also like to hear from people that made mistakes :(
Thanks

Blowing out the lines with air is probably the easiest part but then locating and protecting all the other liquids on generally has in a house would be a chore me thinks.

As Ron Stated, blowing all the lines out helps a bunch but you always has traps in lines that water settles.  We once had a boiler and the power went out on Jan 2 that year in ILL , St Luis area and everyone in the neighborhood, water line froze except ours. We kept our fireplace going and the pump for the boiler going by using a genset.  Worked great for 5 days till the power came on.  Others had a terrible mess with lines breaking throughout their homes.  If you put RV antifreeze in you lines you might be OK, Don't forget to shut off the water to the commodes and winterize them also.  Drain Too are very important/. and then pray a lot.  JMO  I do whats worked in the past.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CampMike2270
Back
Top Bottom