Alpenlite Aspen 28RL-Give me the good......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afdds

Give me the good, bad and the ugly about this TT.  We are putting this TT on our consideration list.  We saw a 2004 last night that we like, but know nothing about the company, other than its made by Western RV Inc.  I tried to find the specs and floor plan of the 2007-2008 and TT dosen't seem to be on their web site. 

Did they stop making the Alpenlite TT and if so when?

I've read a few things that popped up with the search about sway and flipping them over, but it seems to be with the Rear Kitchen models not this model.

Does anyone own or know anything about the Aspen 28RL?

Will be towing with a 2003 5.4 V8 Expedition with the tow package.

Also looking at the KZ Spree260RBS- 2008  Ya, I know this is new and I would be taking the depreciation hit but huband likes the entertainment center at eye level instead of up high over the dinette like so many others that we have looked at.

Western RV dropped the travel trailer version of the Alpenlite a while back - not sure just when.  They still make excellent fifth wheels, toy haulers and truck campers as well as motorhomes.  Western is based in Yakima, WA and their products are respected, especially in the Northwest where you see many more of them than east of the Mississippi.  Construction is generally quite good, as the interiors.

Check the weight (GVWR) on that Alpenlite - they are generally quite heavy (solid frame and construction). Your Expedition can tow a max of 8900 lbs and probably somewhat less, especially if you will have passengers in the SUV. The maximum combined weight of SUV, trailer and all passengers and gear is 14,500 lbs and we like to see you well under that for safe towing and good performance on grades (up and down).

I have an Alpenlite 5th wheel. We are very happy with the quality and workmanship plus the support. Only problem is Western RV dealers are scarce on the east coast but Western RV will authorize warranty work at non-Alpenlite dealers if you ask. Out of warranty, any good  RV service can work on the unit and seek guidance from the factory if needed.

I have a rear kitchen model (Valhalla 29RK)  and have no problems whatsoever with handling, weight distribution, etc.

Good morning, everyone is saying it's heavy.  We checked the sticker and it says 5340.  It's an Alpenlite Aspen 28RL.  Should I take it too a scale before purchase?

We checked the sticker and it says 5340.

Is that the "dry weight" or the GVWR (max weight). You can forget dry weight - it is nearly meaningless.  You need to gauge your tow vehicle's capacity against the trailer's GVWR because the actual weight in use will be much closer to that than dry weight. And the weight always grows over time, so even if you weigh it now (a good idea), you still need to plan based on GVWR.

If the dry weight is 5340, you will probably be near but still under your Expeditions max towing capacity, even with passengers in the SUV.

I dont know about others......but I would be willing to bet that I carry around 1500-2000lbs worth of "stuff".  When I moved from my 5'er to my Class A, all of this "stuff", that I cant live without, covered half of my garage.  You need to consider that if your fresh water tank is full...water weighs 7lbs per gallon, your propane tank if full, is heavy, the beer, ice chest and all that ice is heavy.....that bag of chips and those designer paper plates that you might carry if you wish to gussy up for company is heavy....canned goods, pots, pans, silver ware, glasses, clothing, towels, coats, barbque, food in the fridge, more beer, more ice, toasters, blenders,  can openers, books, Tv's, DVD's, DVD players, fold up chairs, fold up tables, blankets, a screwdriver and hammer is all heavy when added together.....then you add you, DW, the aunts, uncles, dogs, cats, goldfish (1 guy I know RV's with a chicken), kids, grandkids, mother in laws, anyone who may be in your tow vehicle while traveling......and when you get to your campsite and it takes 3 hours to set up and you cover 3 square acres with all of your "stuff".....and you are just amazed that all the "stuff" fit into that trailer !!.......he he he

Whether you select this trailer or another.....you need a really big cushion between that dry weight and your GV towing capacity.........

dave

I know a little about the 28rl.  I was told  during a  factory tour that the 28 rl was designed to capture  the half ton category tow vehicle crowd .  It is not as heavy as other TT its size.  I own an Alpenlite 5th wheel and think they are top flight.  Dave

afdds said:
Good morning, everyone is saying it's heavy.  We checked the sticker and it says 5340.  It's an Alpenlite Aspen 28RL.  Should I take it too a scale before purchase?

If that sticker was the DOT plate on the forward edge of the left side exterior, the number you want will be the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating.  That 5340 lb sounds like a dry weight which is useless for determining truck tow ratings needed.

Back
Top Bottom