Help me make the deal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afdds

Looking at a 2004 Alpenlite Aspen 28RL-
Dealer asking 20,300
NADA Low retail - 15,850
Averge Retail- 19,090

I didn't add anything to the opinions in the Nada. 

I asked local dealer to give me his best price.  He came up with 20,300

Are we too far off in price to make an offer.  Don't want to waste everyones time.  Salesman said the TT had been sitting there for awhile, he did the trade-in.

If I want to purchase at low retail, I need to make a counter offer in the low $15's.  Right?  ???

Just seems like we are a long way from low retail.......I'm not emotionally attached to the TT, so I can walk away.  Don't get me wrong though, the trailer will meet our needs for a used unit.

Ok, one more question.  With the same amount of money is it better to buy new or a better quality used?  Also looking at a K-Z Spree new.  And yes, I know that I might have to put a few thousand more, but it would be 4 years newer.

Thanks guys for all your help.  I'll get an RV soon, I promise, and then I will quit bugging you.... ;)

I'm sitting in the same type of spot, on a 2000 Camper. The NADA is high of 7630 and low of 6300  He's wanting 8640  I offered him 5500  Let him stew for a bit and if he calls back it;s mine.  If he don't I call him in a Cope of weeks if it's still there and off him 5K.  If I don't get it no big deal there are others out there. JMO

Shayne said:
He's wanting 8640  I offered him 5500  Let him stew for a bit and if he calls back it;s mine.  If he don't I call him in a Cope of weeks if it's still there and off him 5K.  If I don't get it no big deal there are others out there. JMO

A perfect attitude (as I know you already know). Buying anything big - home, motor home, business, investment - is the same as asking someone to marry you. If you fall in love with it first you will never get the best terms.

Dexter

And if you don't buy it  You weren't supposed to have it in the 1st place  At least that's my outlook on it.

Wow!

Ok, I'll offer in the high 14's and see what happens. 

Now, I have to get brave and pick up the phone.  I hate talking to these people. 

Kind of like going to the dentist! Oopps....hubby is a dentist. ;)

I'd probably offer $16 FIRM  and see what happens. He probably won't accept it right away, but...?

Some dealers simply won't go that low, so you have the choice of looking elsewhere or going a bit higher. There is nothing sacrosanct about low retail pricing, but it is something to aim for, especially in a no-trade deal. Only you can judge whether the rig is worth more to you. 

The fact that the dealer is asking $1300 over NADA retail could just mean that he is leaving room for a trade (which doesn't apply here since you don't have one) or could mean that he is just plain high priced and figures he can talk you into a deal at his price. In the latter case, he probably won't deal as low as you would like.

As for the new vs used,  I generally prefer a high end used rig over a lesser new one - I believe you get more for your money and a better built RV besides. And 4 years is not old for an RV - they often receive little use at all. If you found a 4 year old car in pristine condition and only 15,000-20,000 miles on it you would probably jump on it. That would be typical for an Rv used for weekends and vacations.

oops, RV Roamer, I didn't get your post until after I emailed with my offer.  I can try the $16 firm if he counter offers.  I offered 14,880, exactly one thousand under the low retail.  Hope he gets my hint that I looked up the price.  However, I guess they don't look at the NADA.  We were told they have their "special book". 

I guess we will wait and see what happens.  There is a huge RV show in Concord CA this weekend.  They have advertised used RV as well as new ones.  We will swing by on Saturday and take a look unless we get lucky. 

I won't hold my breath, but I'll cross my fingers!

Go and look anyway. If they accept your offer - great! But in the meantime, you may find something you like equally or even better and will have back-up options in case your deal goes sour.

Added: The dealer you're working with probably knows about that show as well and could possibly do a few things:

1. Jump on your offer to avoid your finding something else at the rv show, or

2. Delay responding to your offer until the show is over, hoping that you'll have to accept his terms.

Personally, I'd let them know in a casual;, off-handed way that you're 'thinking' about going to the show. That may force their hand in accepting or countering your offer. Hopefully you put a 'must accept/decline/counter by' date and time in your offer. If not, you may possibly be legally bound to buy it at that price even if you've already bought another unit. I'm not trying to scare you and only a lawyer can advise you in such matters, but it is a possibility.

Again I agree with Karl's method.  You'd feel bad if you bid `6 and find out he'd have taken 14 at a later date.  You can always come up but he'll never come down unless you try.

When negotiating I always make my first offer at less than I would be willing to pay.  Gives me room to come up while the dealer is coming down.  In most cases I end up pauing less that I was prepared to pay.  If they will not come down to what I want then I walk away and look further.

Ok guys, having a blonde moment.....
'must accept/decline/counter by' date and time in your offer

I didn't do anything like that.  But hey, I would be jumping up and down if they took my 14,880. ;D 

Karl, are you saying I should put "your company must accept, decline or counter by Nov. 16, 2007 , 6pm.  We have plans to attend the Concord RV show this weekend and would like the opportunity to engage in negoations if we find an RV.

Will do that with my counter.  You guys are the best!

Hopefully, I will know something by this evening.

Hey, do you think they read these posting!  :-X 

Dear Mrs. Jessup

Sorry for not responding yesterday, I was off for the day. I presented your offer to my store owner. He thanks you for your offer while noting it was very aggressive. We looked up the NADA guide on this trailer at
http://www.nadaguides.com/default.aspx?LI=1-25-38-5697-0-0-0&l=1&w=25&p=38&f=5698&m=0016&d=2300080045& and found your offer was well below even low retail, ours was already below average retail. However, including all the nice perks Village RV does for all of our customers described in my last letter,  he will sell this very nice conditioned Aspen for only $15,711 plus tax, license and doc. fee .

His only condition is that you must come in and buy before closing on this Sunday. We are going to be investing a great deal in advertising during the last week before the holiday and expect the traffic really produce a lot of sales.  I'm sure you and Mr. Jessup recognize what a great bargain this is at this price so I hope you can make it. Either way please take a moment out of your busy day and get back to me.

I'm doing a jig!  Looks like I have a TT!  Thought I'd let you guys know first, now I need to call hubby and give him the news!  I can't thank you guys enough.  You are the only reason I was sooooooooo agressive!  Am I agressive?  ;)  It's a great Friday!

Congratulations! Now that you have a firm offer, don't just go in and plunk your money down. Do a thorough inspection and make sure everything is working properly and in good condition. If you find something like the fridge that's not working, make sure you get it written into the purchase contract that they will repair or replace at no charge within 'x' number of days. Try EVERYTHING! Ask for a 90 day warranty, but chances are they won't be willing to give you that. Can't hurt to try.
Karl, are you saying I should put "your company must accept, decline or counter by Nov. 16, 2007 , 6pm.
That's pretty close. In the real estate business, we say "This offer must be accepted or countered by 6:00 p.m., November 16, 2007, at which time it will become null and void." Also, most contracts I wrote also included "The buyer(s) are free to make or accept other offers during this time, at which time this offer becomes null and void." That's commonly called a "drop-dead" clause, and allows you to continue shopping as long as they haven't accepted your offer. Counter offers by them don't matter, because they have, if effect, rejected your offer and have made one of their own, which you have no obligation to even respond to.

Good Luck! :) Hope everything works out for you.

BTW: In your first post, you said "He came up with 20,300", but you also said the average retail was $19090. How does he figure that
ours was already below average retail.
? Is this the new math?

Another thing - that documentation fee is just another way for them to make extra money. Tell them that they can pay for doing their own paperwork. That is, unless they can show you that it is a legally required type of transfer or other fee, and is not normally paid by the seller. 

Congratulations.  In addition to Karl's excellent suggestions I would recommend taking an experienced RVing friend if one is available to help check out the trailer and all systems.  Not a requirement but just might be helpful and give you an opportunity to learn too.

I would recommend taking an experienced RVing friend if one is available to help check out the trailer and all systems

Ron, are you available tomorrow morning?  The dealership said I was aggressive. ;)

Called the dealership and said we would be in tomorrow to run the TT through some test.  He didn't sound too thrilled. I asked him to pull the TT away from the other rigs so we could pull out awning and open side.  I asked for a working battery so we can check things that run on a battery.  I also asked to be hooked up to electric so I can check those things.  Is this unreasonable?  He didn't know if they could get me an electric hook up.  What?  No electric at this place or what! 

I know I should take a thermometer of some sorts to check the refrigerator.  Should hubby take his tool box?  I guess I can't check the water line.  Asking too much for a city water connection.

Do you think this salesman is going to be looking over our shoulder the whole time, or do you think he will let us do our own thing for a little while.  I sure don't want to feel rushed.

Also I can't pull it off the lot before Sunday (his deadline for payment), we've lost the brackets for the Equal-iz-er Hitch.  I have the sway bar parts and hitch, but I left the brackets on the old TT when the insurance compnay totaled the trailer. opps!

I have an old copy of the walk through check list for our old TT, I think I will take that with me too.

Anything else that I need to take with me?  Of course, the old checkbook!

Maybe you missed the part of my response where I said:
Try EVERYTHING!
Let me repeat: Try EVERYTHING!
Yes, he probably will pressure you to 'get on with it', but it's your money, your decision, and you will have to live with it. Take your time and be sure. If it has a fridge that operates from electricity and LP, makes sure you try it on BOTH. If he says there's no LP in the tank, make him write it in the contract that they will repair/replace if it doesn't work on LP. Dual fuel fridges can cost over $1000 to replace! Your requests are not out of line. If he balks, walk(s). 

Karl,
  Now I'm emotionally attached!  How could I walk away?  I guess one step in front of the other!  Ok, try everything!  If it doesn't work, get in writting that it will be repaired or replaced within x number of days.  I just have a feeling he is going to say that I'm buying it AS IS.  I realize that, but I want the opportunity to check everything. 

I found a check list in the library and will take that with me.  I might even pack the ladder and an extra propane tank in the Expedition.

I have one other slight problem.  We accidentally left our Equal-i-z-er Hitch brackets on the old TT.  Every emotional time when insurance company says TT is totaled, go remove your stuff.  My stupid 68.00 mistake times two.  Anyway, I haven't had time to order them on line with Equal-i-z-er.  Will any brackets work? Or do I need to stick to the same company.  I guess I could always pull with out the sway bars, but I've never towed without the system.

If it were me I would ask they turn on the fridge either this evening or early morning so it has time to start cooling before you get there.  RV fridges take a while to cool down.  Just keep in mind that it is OK to walk away if you feel uncomfortable about something, they won't let you check something, or if something doesn't work.  Good Luck.

In response to you question about my availability.  Are you in Dallas? :D

Back
Top Bottom