Help me make the deal!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He already thinks you're aggressive, so be aggressive. You wouldn't buy a car without checking that the brakes, heater, transmission, air conditioning, etc., worked and you certainly wouldn't buy a house without an inspection. If you buy it AS IS without knowing if everything works properly, be aware that you may have to spend additional money to make it right. How much is anybody's guess. Don't let emotions fog your sensibilities. You're buying a piece of merchandise, not adopting a baby. If you buy something at a store and it doesn't work, you take it back, right?. Maybe the rules are a little different when buying a used rv, but the principles are the same. If something doesn't work, get it in writing that it will be fixed. Period. Or be prepared to fix it at your expense.

Check it out thoroughly and congrats if the dealer comes thru and it checks out..

Shayne, if the dealer comes through.....does that mean that he really doesn't have to sell it too me at that price? :'(  I better print out the email and take that with me also.

Ron, no not in Texas right now, but I'm a Texas gal.  I'm an active duty  Air Force spouse living in Vacaville, Ca while hubby is stationed at Travis.  We plan to move back to Texas in a few years and open a dental practice.  Looking for a small town not from from the big city.  Looking into Bernie (outside San Antonio) or outside the Austin area. 

I've made up my mind that I will be very smart and walk away if I don't feel good about the deal.  I'll let you guys know tomorrow or Sunday how the deal went down.

afdds,

Since you live in Vacaville and since you mentioned Village RV in one of your quotes, I assume you're talking about the outfit in Roseville. I have to say a big caveat emptor (buyer beware). I tried dealing with them before we bought our current coach and finally told their sales manager he was insulting my intelligence with the games he was playing.

Personally, I'd avoid them altogether. I still shake my head every time we drive past them en route to our daughter's place.

AFaDDS,

These guys know what they're talking about so remember their cautions and hang tough!  I know it's hard to do sometimes, but you don't want to regret what can - and we all hope will - be a fun thing to do.  And yes, it's fine for hubby to take some tools and ladder along in case needed.

Good luck and we hope it's FUN!

ArdraF

I'll try once more.  Aren't you glad you didn't offer 16 K now.  I'm sure him wouldn't have said OH gee that's too much ,  here take some back  Much better to offer for too little and come up than too offer too much and he jumps on it.  Being me  I'd go there and counter his offer and see if he'd come down more .  He sure doesn't care how much he can get from you so why worry about how much you give him.  You can tell if he's lieing when he opens his mouth or you hear his voice if he's a ventriliquist.  Remember what Tom said and leave you checkbook in the car until all the dots and periods are placed on the contract and every thing listed.  NO PROMISES  they don't count.  Get them on paper.  Good Luck  JMO

Congratulations - and thanks for proving once again that Low Retail is a reasonable price point for a cash deal. 

I pretty much agree with everything said so far, but will add a few things:

That "documentation fee" is often a license to steal. They try to add an extra $500 or so onto the bottom line and it is pure hogwash. If they insist, tell them to give you the Bill of Sale and the old title and YOU will take it to the DMV to do the "paperwork".  They can't charge you for issuing a bill of sale, can they? How else can they say they "sold" it?

You won't have to pay in full by by Sunday or tow it off the lot - just sign the contract and give them a binder (even if it has to become non-refundable at that point, to make the sale final). It probably won't be ready for delivery by then anyway, if Village is a typical RV dealer (and so far they act like one).

Water: Have them put some water in the fresh water tank, if it doesn't have some already. Tat will let you test the pump system as well as checking for leaks.

Salesman: Will probably hang around, but ignore him and take your time. Tell him straight out you need a couple hours at least - he will likely get bored and go away. If he is too bothersome, tell him you would prefer some time alone and will call him if you have questions.

Take paper & pen to your inspection and make a list of items you want repaired (ask for the moon - you can always negotiate later). Make sure the list is part of the purchase agreement - in writing!  Then inspect again before accepting delivery (it's called a walkthrough or Pre-Delivery Inspection) - odds are some of the items won't be done or won't be satisfactory.

Hang tough - you are doing a GREAT JOB!

Tom said:
Since you live in Vacaville....

Vacaville factory stores has a Goelitz Jelly Belly Gourmet Jelly Bean outlet where you can buy Belly Flops (jelly beans that aren't shaped perfectly) really cheap.

I know that this doesn't have anything to do with this topic but my mind does tend to wander sometimes - especially if it is thinking of gourmet jelly beans, sorry.

Dexter

Belly Flops might be good to consume while passing the time away while the sales folks play their waiting games.

Hey,
  The trip on Saturday went well.  Village RV came through with flying colors.  No presure and we took our time with the inspection before signing papers.  I was tough, but we didn't get any type of 90 day warrenty, we even asked for a 30 day. Nope, not going to happen. 
  We made a list on the contract for a few minor fixes and they agreed to fix them without going up on the price.  AMEN!
Our pick up and walk through was going to be next weekend, but the service department is closed for Thanksgiving. DARN!  We can only pick up on a weekend, so we have to wait for Dec. 1st. 

We decided not to get the extended warrenty and will just put that money in our pocket in case something needs to be repaired.  :'(  Also walked away with out purchasing the Xzilon protection.  At first we though we might apply ourself, but after reading a lot of articles online, we might pass all together and just wax it.

Of course, I could have made this deal without you guys......but it would have cost me thousands!  I can't thank you enough for all your help and wisdom.

I will stay aggressive on Dec. 1st with the walk through and let you know how that goes.

Hubby said I didn't need to ask this but I'm going to anyway....What's a bait and switch.  He thinks a bait and switch is where they try and sell you a different TT all together.  Something that you really didn't need or want.  I think it's the tires, battery, CD player etc won't be the same as when you signed on the dotted line.  When you do the walk through, they will exchange a nice battery for something different.  Which one of us is right?

Ok,
  should I start another thread or can you guys help me here?  Looking to replace the dinette table. It's the ugly fold down type with a metal leg.  I don't really need it to fold down.  I would like something in wood.  Can you replace dinette set on a slide with free standing table and two chairs?  If I only do the simple fix and replace with a nicer table, I can't find any web sites for replacement tables.  Does anyone have some advice.  Should I start another post "Replace dinette"

Your Hubby wins this one.  Bait and switch is when the entice you to the dealership by what ever means and then try to sell a more expensive or less desirable rig than what you went there to buy.

Ok, we won't tell him. :-X    At least I don't have to worry about that anymore!  Thks Ron

afdds said:
Ok,
  should I start another thread or can you guys help me here?  Looking to replace the dinette table. It's the ugly fold down type with a metal leg.  I don't really need it to fold down.  I would like something in wood.  Can you replace dinette set on a slide with free standing table and two chairs?  If I only do the simple fix and replace with a nicer table, I can't find any web sites for replacement tables.  Does anyone have some advice.  Should I start another post "Replace dinette"

Couple of questions: Does this dinette make into a bed? Does this dinette have storage draws underneath it? I wouldn't give up any storage. You can probably have a nice table custom made for you.

Regards,
Liz

Try is as is for a while    You might change and not like what you did.  We prefer the booth  You can't sit and play cards or read on the chairs but you can in the booth.  Some people prefer not to ride up front of on the couch.  JMO

Back
Top Bottom