Towing with Tundra 5.7, GMC 6.0, or GMC 6.6?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

737guy

I am just looking for opinions / advice.
I tow a Salem T27BHSS in the summer for camping. At the scales it weighs in at 8500 loaded. I currently pull it with a 1995 GMC ext Cab, 6.5TD. I am going to trade it in soon but a little confused on what to get. I know the duramax will pull the trailer fine but the $8000 upgrade is hard to justify.
1. Will the GMC 6.0 pull the trailer or will it be somewhat of a struggle?
2. Will the 2008 Tundra with the 5.7L pull the trailer or will it be somewhat of a struggle?

Or just bite the big bullet and get the Duramax?

Rob
1995 GMC 2500, 6.5TD
Salem T27BHSS

If you can affoard it the d-max is the ticket. The 6.0 is a great engine too and would be my second choice. I'd probably skip the Toyota even though it is a really good truck.

I tow 10,0000 # regularly with my 07 tundra 5.7 and it will do it fine. It is a bit soft for that heavy of a load every day but for once in a while it will be fine. I also have an 03 chevy 6.0 1500hd and the tundra can run circles around it loaded or unloaded. I have towed exactly the same trailer with both trucks and I will say they both were adequate but the Tundra was a step above the chevy. As stated above the d-Max is the best choice but certain circumstances make Diesel unviable.

One note on the Tundra, the tail gate seems to be made of beer cans and tin foil be carful loading the gate.

Wyane

zukIzzy said:
I tow 10,0000 # regularly with my 07 tundra 5.7 and it will do it fine. It is a bit soft for that heavy of a load every day but for once in a while it will be fine. I also have an 03 chevy 6.0 1500hd and the tundra can run circles around it loaded or unloaded. I have towed exactly the same trailer with both trucks and I will say they both were adequate but the Tundra was a step above the chevy. As stated above the d-Max is the best choice but certain circumstances make Diesel unviable.

The question arises when you are towing that 10,000 lbs are you within the DOT weight limits and legal? If one is not within their weight limits they are just fooling themselves when they think it handles it just fine.

Ron said:
The question arises when you are towing that 10,000 lbs are you within the DOT weight limits and legal? If one is not within their weight limits they are just fooling themselves when they think it handles it just fine.

And the reply would be yes in both cases and if you rely on DOT to set safe limits you are fooling yourself too.

Wayne

Ron said:
Sounds like we are in full agreement.

Here here I'll drink to that. (but I will only drink diet pepsi cause I am loopy enough sober) ;D

Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it. After thinking about it, talking with the boss (wife), hum hawing about it, we have decided to take the BIG plunge and go with the GMC 2500 with the duramax. It'll be expensive but after reading other posts in other forums I believe the duramax will be well worth it.

Rob

737guy said:
Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it. After thinking about it, talking with the boss (wife), hum hawing about it, we have decided to take the BIG plunge and go with the GMC 2500 with the duramax. It'll be expensive but after reading other posts in other forums I believe the duramax will be well worth it.

Rob
:)you won't be disappointed with the Dmax. really designed for towing heavy loads.....

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom