How far do you drive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rollie

This was mentioned in another thread in a fun kind of way ... but really, how far do you like to drive each day?  The assumptions would be good weather, and no schedule to meet.

An ideal day for us is no more than 200 miles.  We may drive 250 miles if we have destination in mind.  We have rarely driven more than that and then under extraordinary circumstances.

On Tuesday, we'll drive a whole 48 miles to the next campground.

Not only the weather but the type of RV rig you are driving.  Over the years we are continually reducing our average dailly mileage.  Now 150-200 miles average per day seems for us a nice distance in our 'B' with no tow vehicle.  Our last trip one day was 18 miles and different day was 400 miles of  x-way.

Using your given we typically drive 200 to 250 miles in a day.  We will be leaving for Portland OR  in a few weeks and will possibly drive 300 miles but we will have a schedule and try to avoid winter weather too.  Normally it takes us 3 to 4 days to make of the about 600 miles of this trip and we have taken a week depending!  VBG

Rollie said:
This was mentioned in another thread in a fun kind of way ... but really, how far do you like to drive each day?  The assumptions would be good weather, and no schedule to meet.

Depends. If I'm driving just to get somewhere (like between Seattle and San Francisco) and I know where I'll be staying then 450 is no big problem. 250 to 350 otherwise. Also if I going to a park (or relatives driveway) I've been to before then that leg can be longer since I have no worries about trying to find my way around.

If my wife is driving we go about six inches, usually less.

Dexter

Rollie said:
Normaly 300 mile or less is a good day for us.  Usually on the road by 10AM or whenever we are ready off by around 15:00.

My wife & I usually rotate driving, 4 hours on, 4 hours off.  We often run 10-12, sometimes 16 hours a day.  That can be close to 1000 miles a day.  When we make a run from NY to FL we might travel 24 hours.  When we went from NY to CA, we did it in 3 days, 16hrs/day.  Not too tired when we arrived, but it does wear on you.  It really depends on your vacation plans and what we might want to see along the way. 

I plan my driving around Flying J's and plan on stopping every 2 hrs to stretch and relax  let the dog out and when I'm tired I quit.  I don't push it anymore.  Oh  sometimes just to go back and pick up the wife.  Before Ron , Wendy or Ned jump on it.  LOL ;D ;D

Shayne said:
I plan my driving around Flying J's and plan on stopping every 2 hrs to stretch and relax  let the dog out and when I'm tired I quit.  I don't push it anymore.   Oh  sometimes just to go back and pick up the wife.   Before Ron , Wendy or Ned jump on it.  LOL ;D ;D

At least you are learning Shayne.  I think.

LOL every time I pass a Flying J I have visions of Shayne doing a U-turn somewhere down the road.

We drive roughly from 10 a.m. to 3-4 pm and usually cover 220-280 miles. We stop for short breaks, perhaps every 2 hours, and for lunch. And a fuel stop or a restaurant lunch usually shortens the distance traveled that day.

When I was still working and had limited time we would drive 500 to 800 miles to get to a destination.  We now try to limit driving about 200-250 miles and leave before 10AM and arrive about cocktail time....tim

Our favorite schedule is to pull out of a campground at 10 a.m. and by 2:30 to 3 pm be pulling into the next one.  Since we gently cruise at 55 mph, we are usually looking at 250 mile or less.

We have done 660 mile in a day and it weren't no fun, wasn't very safe, and cost too much in fuel because we upped out speed. 

If you have no schedule to make, set your own driving limits. Do you get going early or late? What kind of roads will you be driving that day? Anything along the way that interests you? When do you get tired in the afternoon? From many of the replies, it seems like most of us drive 4-6 hours a day and cover 200-300 miles on average. When we went up the Oregon coast this last summer, we averaged about 40 miles every 3 days.

Thanks to all that have replied ... I am newly retired and this will be our first time trying the sunbird adventure.  In reading you replies it hit me ... even though the goal is the destination part of the fun is the trip! Always in the past we had to be to point "A" by such-and-such a time and the idea was to get there as fast as you could.  So all of a sudden the "3 Ts" (10 to 3 and a toddy) sounds pretty nice.  :)

That is the idea.  Slow down and enjoy this great country we live in.  We also try to avoid traveling on the weekends or on holidays.  After all we don't have to get there in record breaking time so we let those that still have to work enjoy their weekends. ;D  Have fun I am sure you will enjoy.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom