Domestic Refrigerator freezes-up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BronekR

HI, I have an unique problem with my Domestic auto temperature refrigerator. Normally there are  lots of questions and issues with  the fridge not cool enough :mad: , but... I have a different problem, my fridge freezes everything! ;D And I'm not talking freezer section...  It does not matter if is running on Lp gas or electric(120v)power. There is no thermostat setting inside. the above door panel has only four buttons, on/off, auto(it flips between a Lp gas or AC power, AC power has priority) and gas only operation button. Has any one ran into the same problem? Do I have to take in to the dealer? I'm pretty good in maintaining my own stuff, but haven't work on this type of appliance. Any advice would be appreciated

Pretty sure there is another thread going at this time on the same thing.   

"Pretty sure there is another thread going at this time on the same thing."

Yes, it is about not cooling enough, but I have the opposite problem... Thanks for your imput, I will keep looking ;)

Your problem is not unique - very few are, and there is a recent poster with a similar problem. You can see it HERE. If this doesn't help, give us more specifics on make/model, anything you may have changed/added, how fully loaded the fridge is, etc. We're more than happy to help.

The refrigerator is not fully stuffed, if that has any reason for it to freeze up. Did it in the summer when temp outside was in the upper 90's, and does now. Geeting ready for our Thanksgiving trip in to the mountains. :) The thermocouple is in its place attached in to the cooling coil. The refrigerator DOES NOT have any temperature settings inside. The other guy with 95 Savannah 5er must have different refrigerator. This is Domestic brand, model # RM 2652, the serial # 344 01962 . Appreciate all the help

Yes the other guy has a Norcold it has settings. does it freeze up on both gas and electric? If it does check if the thermocouple is damaged. If not it's probably in the control board. It's a guess but with out looking at it that's the first things I would check.

Found a very good website, with lots of info, and service manuals on line. Downloaded one for my for my model number, will start trouble shooting tomorrow. It looks like the lower board needs help ;D
Here is the website:  http://www.gasrefrigeration.net/

BronekR said:
This is Domestic brand, model # RM 2652, the serial # 344 01962 . Appreciate all the help

Ah ha ... that would be an Americana, correct?  I had the same problem earlier this year.  I'd have to get the manuals out again but as I recall certain problems will put the refrigerator in the default mode ... and it just keeps cooling and cooling.  And as I recall there is no visible indication it is in the default mode.  The troubleshooting manual should discuss this. 

I tried removing and reconnecting the various connectors ... disconnected the temp probe and tested it per the manual (place in cool water, measure resistance) and it was ok.  (If you need it I can get you specific info, just don't have it handy right now.)

Also talked to a tech locally who 'sounded like an ole timer at this'  and he said the temp sensor probe in the refrigerator that mounts to the fin should be on the outside fin ... mine was I think on the second one in.

So I moved the probe to the outside, had reconnected the probe wire on the card, tried it again and ....  ;D ;D

It worked!  ;D

So which was it?  Don't know, but suspect poor connection  where the probe plugged into the card.

Once it got to the point where it wasn't broke anymore, I quit trying to fix it!!  ;D ;D

If you're still having problems I can get the manuals out again and maybe will be able to help some, let me know.

Howard

"If you're still having problems I can get the manuals out again and maybe will be able to help some, let me know."

Howard,

Any advice, suggestion are appreciated, ;D 

BronekR,
As Howard says, that fridge has fully automatic temp control and if something goes awry it will go into a continuous cool mode to try to keep your food safe and the beer drinkable. Unfortunately this usually results in freezing.

The primary cause for this default mode is a defective thermistor (thermocouple). If the control board can't get a reading from it, it goes to max cool. A defective controller could have the same effect, i.e. it thinks the thermistor is bad, even though it is good, so it goes to max cool mode anyway. According to the service manual, it is the lower control board on this model that does the temp control function. There are simple diagnostics to help you determine where the problem is.

I see you have already found the gasrefrigeration.net site and have access to the operation and service manuals for your fridge. That should help you isolate the problem.

BronekR said:
Any advice, suggestion are appreciated, ;D 

Sorry I didn't get back sooner ... travel to the kids for the holiday.

#1 - if you can send me a private email at [email protected] I have a pdf file on service tips for Dometic Refrigerators including  the RM2652.  It's from Dometic, but at the moment I can't seem to find just where I got it on line. 

#2 - Assuming you have removed the power module cover (lower left on back of frig as you look at it from outside), the thermister plug is P2 at the top left of the module, the lower two pin plug.  This is the one which I reseated a few times and may have fixed my problem.

Thermister check - Disconnect the thermister harness from the P2, 2-pin terminal on the lower circuit board.  Place the thermistor in a glass of ice water, approximately 33 F to 35 F.  Wait 2 to 3 minutes.  You should get a reading of approximately 7,000 to 10,000 ohms on your Ohm meter.

That is checking through the cable that runs up into the back of the frig to the thermistor ... mine was 8500 ohms, so checked good.

If the Thermistor is bad it will go into the standby mode, which is like the manual mode (refrig will run continuously on the energy source selected by the control system).  In standby mode the refrigerator will continue to operate in this mode indefinitely or until a new sensor is installed and the system reset.  So says the manual.  ;D

As for how you tell if it is in manual mode ... book says the push button switch on the right on the top panel on the frig is in for "auto" and out for manual ... when in the manual mode the indicator light above the switch will be out.  On mine it is in for Auto but out is placarded "Gas" ... and the light is off.  So I guess on mine if I had the switch pushed in and the light was out and the frig operating it would be in "Manual"?    ???  Anyway I don't remember what it did when I was having my problem.

Another good site for troubleshooting info and one source for Dinosaur brand replacement boards (Haven't had to buy one yet, but many recommend the Dinosaur boards).

<http://www.rvmobile.com/>

So drop me an email ... we might want to exchange cell numbers, might be easier to discuss this?  By the way, where abouts are you located?  I'm in Pueblo West, CO at the moment. 

Hope you are enjoying the Thanksgiving Holiday!  :)

Howard

http://rvmobile.com/Tech/Technical.htm  was this the program.    Check it out. It's repair Service.

Howard,
and all, thanks for the replays.  I appreciate the suggestions and advice. So far I haven't been able to troubleshoot the fridge because I'm 350 miles away from home and forgot my VOM... I'm currently camping in KOA campground in Anderson South Carolina. On my way here, on Hwy 26 North I had a blowup, on the right side of my 5er, very rear tire shredded to pieces, those a relatively new tires with very little wear, inflated to 50 psi. Driving about 62 mph. The part that upset me most is it did one helluva job on the sheetmetal, the fiberglass cowling that covers the tires denigrated as well.
The tires are stock, and were made in Taiwan, when I get home they are gone! :mad:

Howard  you asked where i live... i live in Georgia near Savannah. ;D

<very rear tire shredded to pieces,

Opps ... not good!

I guess cold beer is better than non at all in this case.

Let us know how it goes.

Howard

Sorry to hear you had tire problems.  If it were me and the tires are less than 7 years old I would investigat to determine IF the stock tires are indeed rated for the GVWR of the trailer.

Yes, the half frozen beer was good indeed ;D. The tire was/is "C" load rated tire. Bought a replacemet today, hate to take chance going back home without one. The 5er is 2004 model, so I don't think the tires would be on the shelf 3 years before being installed, but I guess anything is possible. ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom