Marina fuel prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We don't normally chase around on the water looking for the cheapest place to buy fuel. But this morning I called a marina that we'll be visiting over the holiday and asked about their diesel price. It's $3.33/gallon. Then I called our local marina, just around the corner, and was told their diesel price is $3.75/gallon. Quite a difference, given that these places are less than 2 hours apart by water. FWIW we're on the California Delta.

I'm just curious - what are folks paying for marina fuel?

Maybe it's only two hours away Tom, but it will take you 60 gallons to get there and back, or $225 at local marina prices.  To break even,  you will have to buy 536 gallons while you are there.  Good thing you were going there anyway.

Tom  You're just lucky you don't have the Boat of my friend in ILL ( I had sent you Pics before)  It takes 1000 gal in 3 and 1/4 hrs.  Now that's supporting to fuel companies.

Robert,

That's one reason I don't run normally around the Delta to find the cheapest fuel. Another is that it's too easy to ding a prop. As you know, a balancing job will run $1,000 after spending who knows what on fuel to get to the yard and another $400+ for a haulout.

Since the cruise is at Village West this week, I figured I'd take advantage of their fuel prices before heading home.

Shayne,

For sure I'm glad we don't burn 300+ gallons an hour.

I use to think that 16 Gals per hour was a lot when I owned a Cessna 206.  But then we were covering longer distances with that 16 gals. ;D

Aye Ron, miles per gallon on the Cessna would have been a lot different. We have to think gallons per mile.

It would be much less efficient on the ground or water  ;)

Now if only I could get 50,000 lbs of boat to 20,000 feet it might be more fuel efficient  ;D

Tom, you can do that. There are still quite a few PBY5As around. You can fly it, float it, or drive it. It has a heck of a range, flying. Can be set up as a camper. (I saw one. Loved it!) Also, you can make a few bucks and strike a blow for public safety, now and then, by installing a tank and bombing/fighting forest fires. Exciting!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, it's 105 ft wide, so driving might be challenging, now and then.  ::)

Oh, and it's a good idea to not be in a hurry, flying, floating or driving. They aren't terribly fast at anything!  :-\

Ray D  ;D

Forgot to mention one important thing. My memory is fuzzy, but I think  it sleeps 8 - more in a pinch.  :D Oh, and celebrity wise, Bush 41 hitched a ride in one, once.  :eek: ::)

Tom said:
Now if only I could get 50,000 lbs of boat to 20,000 feet it might be more fuel efficient  ;D

Now if you could get that 50,000 lbs of boat flying at  20 ft above the water it would even be more efficient in what they call ground effect.

PBY5A AKA The "Catalina," or just The "Cat." Straining my memory - PB is Patrol Boat - Y is the designation after X. "5" is the sequence of major design changes after 3 and 4. "A" the last letter means Amphibian. Floats, flys, and has wheels to drive it out of the water, or to land it on regular runways.

Military sea plane used in WWII for submarine patrol and for sea search and rescue of downed pilots. Famous naval PBY group, "The Black Cats" (Their Cats were painted black and flew at night, due mostly to presence of daytime Zeros.) was a patrol/rescue group in the western Pacific. One of the downed pilots the Black Cats rescued, George H. W. Bush, became the 41rst Presidet of The United States.

One of the most elegant aircraft designs to come out of WWII, in my opinion. Very versatile. Not much of an air to air combat fighter, tho. For that purpose, I think they referred to it as the "Sitting Duck."  ::)

Ray D  ;D

Thanks Ray. I learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom