Know anything about removing carpeting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slate91

I  have a 1984 Honey RV and I want to tear up the carpeting that came with it. However, in looking at the rug, it seems to go under all the furniture, bed, kitchen stuff, etc.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the rug myself? or do I have to call a professional?

Whether it goes under stuff or not you can always cut it around the edges and pull it up. Save the pulled up piece(s) for use as a template for the new carpet.

Woody

You'll have to cut the carpet where it disappears under the edge of the cabinet and leave that part of the old carpet in place.? ?The easiest way to do this is to use something like a Stanley retractable blade razor knife and just run it along the edge of the cabinet.? ?The new carpeting will hide the remaining traces of the old.

Last time I replaced carpet, I used furring strips around the edges to hold the carpet in place.? ?These are thin pieces of wood with carpet tacks sticking up through them.? ?The strips are nailed in place along the outside of the carpeted area, outside of the padding.  Then the carpet is stretched over them and pressed into place, hooking onto the exposed tacks.

I learned alot when I hired somebody to recarpet a fairly new MH around 1995. I wanted a high grade carpet and good pad to resemble my den at home. Everything that has been suggested by the other posters is good, solid advice. What I learned about the cutting and disposal of the old carpet is that there may well be some important wiring that is laid under or at the edge of the existing carpeting. That job went swimmingly well and it was just what I'd hoped for....but I later learned that I had no headlights at the moment I needed them. Luckily, I was able to park off the freeway and get the wiring fixed the next day. The carpet guy reimbursed me for the damage he'd done.

The toilet was removed, some of the interior pieces like the driver and passenger seats were removed prior to the carpet being laid. It was very interesting to watch a guy who knew what he was doing. If I ever do it again, I'll test all of the wiring immediately.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom