Market Research - New Luxury RV Park

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedTail Mountain

I posted this in under destinations as well.  This is probably a better place for it though.

I am the manager of a Resort Golf Course Community about 20 miles from Boone, NC called RedTail Mountain.  We are currently doing market research on the demand for a RV Park in this area and I would like to get some direct feedback from the end user.  Just to give you a little background on the development and the amenities, we currently have a great mountain golf course and will be utilizing a portion of the clubhouse as the fitness center until the permanent fitness center is built in two years.  We also have lake access to Watauga Lake, one of the cleanest lakes in the US.  The other onsite amenities to be constructed are Hiking Trails, Bike Trails, Equestrian Center with trails, Community Garden, and Tennis Courts.  Some of the local attractions would be great Trout Fishing, great cycling, hiking trails, the Virginia Creeper, wonderful restaurants, the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc.  We are about 25 miles from Appalachian State University and 25 miles from Bristol Motor Speedway. 

I appreciate any information you feel is important, but specifically I would like to know what three things are the most important to you when looking at purchasing a site within a RV Park.  I would also like to know what things you have seen at other RV parks that made the experience more enjoyable.  What are common mistakes that you have often seen made?  Those of you that did purchase, what were the key factors in making the decision to purchase?  How long was the time period of when you started to look for property before you actually purchased a site. 

Again, I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond to this post.  If you have any questions or need more information I will do what I can to help.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Our major considerations are:

1. Be within an hour of a major airport.

2. Be close to good medical care.

3. Decent size, level lots with room for some storage (shed).

We're not interested in golfing, fishing, or tennis.  Walking and bike paths would be nice, as would a swimming pool.  Good laundry facilities would be a plus.

Reasonable CC&Rs are important.  Too many restrictions is bad,  while too few is also undesirable.  It's a balancing act, but can be done.

A common mistake is not using a professional management company to run the facility.  Especially one with experience in managing an RV park.  In every case where we've seen the owners running the park, it becomes the fiefdom of a few people with delusions of grandeur and too much time on their hands and you end up with half the owners mad at the other half.

If the lots are going to be marketed and sold as "RV" lots, keep it RV. I've seen too many resorts sold as RV Parks and in five years 80% of the lots have park model trailers on them. If you want a park model resort that's fine, but sell the lots as park model sites not RV sites.

Other than that, I agree with Ned's comments.

I'm alway looking for places that are pet friendly.  A dog park with a fenced off leash area would be awesome.  It'd be great if you offered pet sitting service, for a fee someone would check on your pets and walk them etc - the owner would determine how often it was needed and the fee would be based on that.
I liked the idea of walking paths - that's always nice.
Good luck

I might add one thing to Neds and Dons list.  Judge the condition of the vehicle and the quality of people in such unit and not put a 10 year age limit on the vehicle.  Many nice units out there with fantastic people that bringother good people

Judge the condition of the vehicle and the quality of people in such unit and not put a 10 year age limit on the vehicle

Nice thought, Shane, but a legal quagmire. To be a discriminating host used to be a compliment. Now it's an invitation to a jail sentence.

[edit]Fixed typo[/edit]

Ned said:
Our major considerations are:

1. Be within an hour of a major airport.

2. Be close to good medical care.

3. Decent size, level lots with room for some storage (shed).

We're not interested in golfing, fishing, or tennis.  Walking and bike paths would be nice, as would a swimming pool.  Good laundry facilities would be a plus.

Reasonable CC&Rs are important.  Too many restrictions is bad,  while too few is also undesirable.  It's a balancing act, but can be done.

A common mistake is not using a professional management company to run the facility.  Especially one with experience in managing an RV park.  In every case where we've seen the owners running the park, it becomes the fiefdom of a few people with delusions of grandeur and too much time on their hands and you end up with half the owners mad at the other half.

Ned, Thanks for your information.  I did leave out that we will have swimming with the fitness center.  If we do move forward with the RC park it would be setup for Class A with restrictions.  One thing we do well is hire experienced/operational managers for the amenities.  Rather that is hiring someone or hiring a management company is still a decision we would need to make, if in fact the decision is made to pursue the RV Resort.  Do you have a recommendation on a professional management company?  I am sure there are many out there, so recommendations are always appreciated. 

MollysMom said:
I'm alway looking for places that are pet friendly.  A dog park with a fenced off leash area would be awesome.  It'd be great if you offered pet sitting service, for a fee someone would check on your pets and walk them etc - the owner would determine how often it was needed and the fee would be based on that.
I liked the idea of walking paths - that's always nice.
Good luck

Mollysmom - Thanks for taking the time to respond.  You are right on with the need for a dog park and it is something we are considering in the site plan. 

Build the park for the needs of the user, not what's cheapest or easier for the construction company or engineer .  Marine utility pedestals are attractive and practical.  Don't place street lights and trees in places where they make it difficult to get in and out of sites.  Or to put awnings out.  All roads should lead to the shower house.  No one should have to cut through someone site to get to the potty. And if all site are not FHU'S, the non sewer site should be closest to the shower house.  Nice flat roads for walking and biking.  No stairs at clubhouses and other buildings with plenty of parking.  Plenty of park benches, swings and bike racks throughout the park.  And a clear view of the southern sky for those who have satellite  TV and Internet.

Glass domed swimming pools would be my personal preference.  And speed limits enforced on scooters and gulf carts.

Sounds like a nice place, Good Luck

As you see, price is also a consideration. I like year-round swimming but prefer outside pools. Hot tub/jacuzzi is important to many people. I agree with MollysMom on the dog park or at least a very large, nicely grassed dog run that is easy to access, and more than one is great. Why restrict it to class As? As close to Bristol as you are, I would think that would be a huge selling point especially if you had organized outings to Bristol.

Wendy

wendycoke said:
Why restrict it to class As? As close to Bristol as you are, I would think that would be a huge selling point especially if you had organized outings to Bristol.

Wendy

Our entry level homes are around $600k, lodges starting at around $425k..  For this to work IN the community, we will need tight restrictions.  I am working with a consultant on the restrictions and will request his advice. 
[edit]Fixed quote.[/edit]

RedTail Mountain said:
...  If we do move forward with the RC park it would be setup for Class A with restrictions.  One thing we do well is hire experienced/operational managers for the amenities.   ...

So Class C, Super-C, and Mega-C need not apply...  :p

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom