hope you didn't get caught in this mess...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baadpuppy

poultry fat leak.

Lovely way to get to work Tuesday morning.

Dad called me while he was on his way to work around 6:15 or so telling me I needed to be careful because the highway was slick.  I figured it was just from the night of drizzle causing oil slicks, and dismissed it.  He called several times to give me updates before my alarm went off.  I think it was the 4th or 5th call when I let my impatience with the calls into my voice.

Anyway, by the time I got to the highway, they were putting down the sand.  It's lovely seeing a half mile of vehicles backed up behind sand spreaders going 10-20mph below the speed limit.

I had an extra 15 minutes or so on my commute.  And after a while I could barely see out my car window.  To get home, I had to go to a carwash, then when I stopped for gas I spent another 5 minutes washing the windshield before I could see decently.  It still has lines on the windshield.

Tomorrow I'll contact the number perdue set up and see about getting them to do something about cleaning all that gunk off my car.

Anyway, I hope none of you got affected by this stuff this week.

jim

Not sure I understand this.  :-\

Are you talking about bird fat? Like from chicken/turkey etc? Was it spread on the highway? Who has enough bird fat to do that?   ??? :eek:

Anyway, in my mind that congers up a pretty disgusting picture! Never mind the stuff on the flat areas of the car, I'd be worried about what that car is going to smell like, when the fat begins to age - on the underside - in the seams and cracks - on the undercarriage - particularly where parts get hot! (Need the urpy smiley, again!)

I'm sure I'm just misunderstanding the problem, but the disgust I have in my mind's eye, would just about total a car, if it was mine.

GGGHHHAAAAA!

It's something else! Right?  ::)

Ray D  :p

OK, I read the article. Didn't realize, at  first, that was a link.  ::)

funky Odor? Well, I suppose that would describe it for the first few days.  :-\

That's going to be one heck of an "Environmental Cleanup" bill!  :eek:

Ray D  ;D

Ewwwwwww!  Kinda reminds me (in a roundabout sorta way) of an incident a few years ago.  I was tootling along, just minding my own business, when coming upon an overpass on the highway, I spotted a bird doing one of those "I bet I can beat that car" things you see birds do (and you know they actually play this game with each other!!).  Well, he did not beat the car that was in front of me.  Now, it was not quite a direct hit, but must have been right at the top of the windshield of the car in front of me.  Because I got the rest of the bird.  I got all the "stuff" from the bird.  All the "stuffing", so to speak (trying to be gentle here).  And it was not only all over my windshield (I mean the entire front windshield), but it was all over the grill of my truck, and the hood.  I don't know what kind of bird it was, but who woulda ever thunk there was that much "stuffing" in a bird.  I was on my way to a softball game and couldn't get it washed off immediately, but after I finally got it home, it took me many days of washing and scrubbing to get all this "stuff" off the paint and out of the little nooks and crannies.  It was a stubborn mess for sure!

Wonder if the company will be held responsible for all the damage to cars and people of if they will get off by buying off the right politician.

You know, I got to thinking. This might not be the job it appears to be, at first glance.  ;D Don't worry too much about missed stuff. In the spring, the flies will clean up the rest of it.  :D :D :D

Ray D  ;D

Another little story about the PHEEW factor:

Was camping in the Winnebago right on a beach lot at an RV park near Flagler Beach, FL.

T'was a wonderful day; sunshine, peaceful, a warm sea breeze from the ocean, Pelicans flying/gliding/soaring  in formation low overhead - back and forth. Even got some nice pictures of them.

Well, I was having my little nap inside with all windows open. I heard this little splat, followed by a stench reminiscent of a fish factory that hadn't been cleaned for months.

There was goo/poo  splattered all over the window screen, the sofa and my beautiful body.

I wonder if pelicans use bomb sights to hit a small target like a window screen about 2x3 feet in size from an altitude of about 25 feet. No seafood for dinner that night.

carson FL  (another good reason to keep the tourists away  ;D  ).

Ray D said:
Not sure I understand this.  :-\

Are you talking about bird fat? Like from chicken/turkey etc? Was it spread on the highway? Who has enough bird fat to do that?  ??? :eek:

It's something else! Right?  ::)

well, it's definitely chicken fat, from the rendering process.

It was a large tanker truck, owned by the Perdue chicken processing company.  I heard it was about 66,000 pounds or so.  So what's that, around 10,000 gallons or so?  20 miles, 5 stoplights, so perhaps 30 minutes to drain the tank.  You see the same size tanker putting fuel in the ground at gas/diesel stations.

The right lane got more of it.  The stoplight areas got puddles of it.  Dad witnessed the product on the road, and it was about like vegetable oil spread on the surface...  very hard to see.  He compared it to black ice. 

Rumors around here are that one vehicle actually flipped and had to have the roof cut off to get the person out, but that they only had minor injuries for that type of accident.

There's a number to call if your vehicle was affected.  I've been told that perdue is going to pay for vehicles to have their exteriors steamed and professionally detailed.  I haven't had time to call yet, as it has been crazy at work this week.  I haven't even had time to check the forum from work this week.  :(

I definitely need them to take care of my car.  I hate to think of all that grease  and sand caked under my car.

And I'm sure it'll start being rather "ripe" at some point.

whew, what a week.  can't wait till it is over.

jim

Little off topic, but not completely.  :-\

When I buy chicken, the fat is still there. And, I pay for it by the pound and throw most of the fat and fatty skin, away.  :p Didn't know about "rendering chicken fat." What's it used for? I don't buy it - who does? What for?  ??? ::)

Ray D  ;D

While the chicken fat will cause slipping and sliding and smell bad it won't do as much damage to to vehicles that the salt many states put on the highways.

Ray ponders the meaning of life and chicken fat...........

When I buy chicken, the fat is still there. And, I pay for it by the pound and throw most of the fat and fatty skin, away.  Tongue Didn't know about "rendering chicken fat." What's it used for? I don't buy it - who does? What for? 

Its used in pet foods, cosmetics, biodiesel, food additives, and many other things you really didn't want to know about.  Also its used to pad the weight of the chicken you just bought - notice the big chunk of inedible fat tucked insode?
Cheers
D

Yep, I've noticed the big chunk of chicken fat inside. Same on the turkeys.  :(

I try to just toss it, and not think about it too much.  :-\

Cosmetics?  ???

You mean like lipstick?  ??? OK, that's going to be problematic! Sorry I asked!  ::)

Where's PETA when you need them?  ???

Biodiesel? They use petroleum in the road mix for Highways. Why not use chicken fat?  :-\

I guess that's where we started, isn't it?  ::)

Ray D  ;D

Back
Top Bottom