We're now Texas land owners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That was Valero Estates, you were in the right place.  If you had called or emailed ahead of time, I would have given you the gate code.

caltex

Yes you were if you saw the Deer River sign when you turned north off of FM 306.  It is Valero Estates with a key pad gate entrance.

This post should probably be in a different category (hint for TOM, "Flora/Fauna 'Oddities)

Dedicated to Lorna and Ned's new Texas Ranch.

In an effort to help/improve their landscape, I'll offer the following advise.

Build a few mountains/hills to enhance the resale value property of the acreage.

The images below will clarify my suggestion. It takes a lot of sand and cheap labor to accomplish that goal. Nothing simpler than to make friends with the 'Florida (and Midwest)  Pocket Gopher.

It is a little furry friend who lives in a solitary environment (no girlfriend) and is able to move mountains.
It is called a Pocket Gopher (google it). It is about 6-12" in length and can move more sand/soil to fill a wheelbarrow in a single night. Just think, if you waited long enough, even your altitude may change. I counted over 50 mounds produced in a month. How much energy does that take? All by one gopher. (alternate fuel source?)

The images shown below are a product of his work in my backyard nearby over just  couple of weeks. Travelers in RV's have probably seen these mounds and wondered: What are those things? What makes them?

Well now you know. (Sometimes they are called Salamanders) .

PS: This post is to remind you that there is more to life than BWT's, Heaters. leaky plumbing, etc

I would love to see images from your area, that are a curiosity. I am tired of macerators.  ;D

carson FL  78.3F

Attachments

• Gopher Mound 1.jpg
    Gopher Mound 1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 26
  • Pocket Gopher FL.jpg
    Pocket Gopher FL.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Gopher mound 2.jpg
    Gopher mound 2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Gopher mound 3.jpg
    Gopher mound 3.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Gopher Mound 1.jpg
    Gopher Mound 1.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 21
Well, Carson, you can just keep those critters in Florida and out of Texas.  We'll shoot 'em on sight :)

Ok, Ned

So you don't like "furry friends"  :)  but look at what you are missing. My home in Florida is at an elevation or 150 ', now that is a mountain in Florida.  No flood insurance, a view of the ocean  50 miles away, only non-polluted air every day (wind), only sunshine, unless there are clouds, hurricanes or something similar.

We have flowers here that Texas wishes it would have, even in the wintertime. Take a look at the images below.  Aren't you sorry for your choice?  ;D

ps: I have not checked all the pix for size so excuse.

Attachments

• Flower large1.jpg
    Flower large1.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Azalia.jpg
    Azalia.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Flower small.jpg
    Flower small.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 15
  • carol Bougi medium.jpg
    carol Bougi medium.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Azalia.jpg
    Azalia.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 14
  • January Coloirs 2.jpg
    January Coloirs 2.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Sunrise at home.jpg
    Sunrise at home.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 20
Carson, we've been to FL (too) many times, seen the flowers, the bugs, the rain, the hurricanes, etc.  We have hundreds of sunset photos from AZ that FL could only pray for.  We may not have the flowers you do right now, but the desert in bloom has no equal.  We have lots of photos of that too.  No, we're not sorry at all, on many levels :)

If you get a chance take an hour or so drive to New Braunfels and have dinner at the"Huisache Grill" (phonetically...Wa saw she).  It is located at 303 West San Antonio Street.  Great food, reasonable prices, and cold beer.  Treat your palete and get their pecan crusted pork chops.  They are exceptional.

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure we'll get down there sometime next winter.  Today, we're going to Austin for lunch with friends that are passing through.

Almost as many German restaurants in the area as in Milwaukee, so we'll feel right at home.

Now that I am baching for a short period, I bought a package of Sauerkraut on impulse.
  Having left Germany as a teenager over 50 years ago, what do I do with it?

I have a Microwave, Oven, Stove top, Pots and Pans, a Bar-b-Que.(and a garbage bag).:)

Please help, it's cheaper than eating out.

carson Fl

My personal opinion on sauerkraut would be to put it in the garbage. But Mike says to just dump it in a microwaveable dish and nuke it for a minute or 2. He also says that it's very tasty eaten cold or at room temperature. But he's English so what does he know?

Wendy
Surprise, AZ

Thank you Wendy and Mike,

It is amazing, the information coming from this great group of folks.

I remember, as a very young lad, having been able to buy Sauerkraut scooped from a barrel in the local  grocery store in the 'old country'. There were no diet/ingredients  information sheets at that time.

No wonder I am a 6'1" guy and a trim 185lbs at my ripe age. Does Mike need a dose?

Regards,  carson FL

Ned said:
Almost as many German restaurants in the area as in Milwaukee, so we'll feel right at home.

Ned,

You have reminded me that I went to a great German restaurant in Milwaukee many years ago when attending school for the phone company in Lisle. Don't remember the name or what I ate but the German beer was great!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Most likely it was Karl Ratzsch's downtown on Mason St. or Mader's.  Ratzsch's is where most visitors go as it's easiest to find :)

Back
Top Bottom