PC Mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom said:
I guess I didn't dream it ....

Here's a video of HUD in a Cadillac. Here's an ad for a company making HUD for any vehicle windshield.

Should I ever have the opportunity to include a HUD unit in another vehicle as an option, I'll "opt" out (and build another PVC Laptop pedestal).....bill

Upon modification:  I'll qualify my post by saying "a HUD unit with GPS in another vehicle as an option, I'll "opt" out"..

A HUD (Heads Up Display) is an option in the GMC Acadia and I think the similar Buick Enclave too. I don't have it in mine and did not test drive it either, so cannot comment on the safety concern, but on the Acadia owners forum there are many positive comments.  Of course, there are a lot of technophiles there too.

One of the biggest driving hazards I see locally is the moms dropping off or picking up their kids from school. The street has waiting cars lined up on both sides , making it tough to see a toddler who might wander into the street. But the moms zip out of the school yard with a cell phone in their ear while they're turned around yelling at the kids. They don't stop before coming onto the street and most are too busy to look for oncoming traffic.

Now I can imagine that any kind of display, HUD or otherwise, would be one distraction too many for these folks.

Whiskyecho said:
Bruce:

I used 1 1/2" sched 40 PVC for my truck and then 2" for the Roadtrek.  The "attachments" are galvanized Floor Plates that have female threads (and 4 screw holes).  Here's a pic of the set-up and the individual pieces (nothing is "glued" to make for easy install and take-down).....Bill: 

Does a laptop screen need to supported when open? My setup now is on one of those CW folding steps on the front seat hump and the screen rests on the dash when open but I want to do something like your setup.

BruceinFL said:
Does a laptop screen need to supported when open? My setup now is on one of those CW folding steps on the front seat hump and the screen rests on the dash when open but I want to do something like your setup.

Bruce:

I don't have any support for the screen and I've not had any problem with it - I do lean it against the dash when I think of doing so - but - no problems, so far.

One fellow, on another website, e-mailed me for my simple parts list, instructions and some pics.  He was the owner of a Class A Rig that had a Dog House extending towards the rear from the Dashboard area.

He sent a follow-up e-mail after a bit of what he'd come up with - a VERY neat install, atop the Dog House.  The "post" was only a couple of inches high and on top of it he'd rigged a Lazy Susan type of plate and then put the "desk" atop that.  He'd also made a beautifully finished "table" upon which the laptop sits.  A very "clean" install.

It's amazing what folks can do, once they put their minds to a project.....bill

p.s.:  Let me know if I can help in any way..

Bruce,

Like Bill, I don't support the notebook lid/screen, although I know folks who've had damage cause because it wasn't supported. Someone (or some company) made a gadget to support the screen, but I don't recall who it was. Might come to me in the middle of the night.

BruceinFL said:

Bruce

I got a screen support for 2 reasons. First, I have had problems with my laptop screen becoming loose so hopefully the support will hold it in place. Second, my supplier gave free shipping on orders over $100, and the cost of the support was enough to get me free shipping ;D ;D

For those contemplating using a laptop based gps program for vehicular travel and you haven't purchased your laptop as yet:

1)  Buy a laptop with a "matte" type display!!!!!
2)  There is no #2

I have an old Compaq that I was using exclusively to run MS S&T '05 and DeLorme SA '04 - it's a great little laptop with a 13" screen and a matted (anti-glare/anti-reflection) type of screen.  Trouble is it's operating with Win '98, has only a CD drive (vs DVD) and is not memory upgradeable.

Therefore, I couldn't install the newer mapping programs (that require all 3 of the above).  Shucks.

My Wife purchased 2 new laptops (a Toshiba and a Compaq?), one of which I'd be allowed to operate a newer mapping program on - only trouble is/was they've both got the (normal) highly reflective displays and are completely useless for daytime travel in a vehicle.  Useless.  Period.

So, for a number of months, I went shopping for a suitably screened laptop - and finally found one in a Toshiba Satellite - A135-S4656.  My local BB had 11 of them in their storeroom.

Anyway, be sure to get a matted display.....bill

Our Toshiba has a reflective 17" display and it's readable in all but direct sunlight.  Even the matte finish displays fail in direct sunlight.  The bright backlight makes all the difference.

Ned said:
Our Toshiba has a reflective 17" display..

(facetiously he posts:) 

I find a 15' display size to be somewhat restrictive in the forward cab of our vehicle but 17", yikes - where do you mount that behemouth while traveling - on the hood of your vehicle? 

From side to side the front seat area in my F150 supercrew is less than 60".  60 - 17 = 43 ? 2 (people) = 21 1/2" for our rear-ends (not counting elbow overhang requirements).

Here in baja oklahoma we're in for a few overcasty days but as soon as we get a sun-shiny day I'll make a side-by-side comparison of the "viewability" of our 2 Toshiba displays (her shiny/my matte)  - will take pics and post them on this thread.

(I can't, for the life of me, understand what the difference might be between your 17" and my wife's 15" super reflective displays - but we'll see..).....bill      ;D

Whiskyecho said:
..will take pics and post them on this thread..

I got lucky with the overcast - changed to broken clouds, which really brightened things up around here.

Cranked-up both of our 2 Toshibas, backed my truck outta the garage, put both laptops on my laptop pedestal (side by side with same display tilt angle), brought-up S&T on both of 'em and took a pic from the back seat: 

Guess which one is mine (and is used for vehicular nav) and which belongs to my Wife (and stays indoors).....bill

Attachments

• side by side.jpg
    side by side.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 23
The 17" Toshiba sits on the glove box lid in front of the passenger seat in our motorhome.  We don't have a hood, it's a DP :)  And we're 102" wide, probably 96"+ inside.  This is at least the 4th computer to be used in that position in the last 10 years.  The 17" does cover up part of the drink holder.

Ned said:
..in our motorhome..it's a DP..

Oh, OK, the motor home (I pictured the laptop in your truck).

What's a "DP"? (excuse my naivete).

So - any comment ref the side by side pic of the two displays?.....bill

Bill,

DP = diesel pusher.

Is the PC on the right displaying anything? It looks like it's off.

FWIW we have a link to our Glossary of RV Terms in the toolbar above. Doesn't have an entry for DP though, but does have for Diesel Pusher.

My screen looks black when it's turned off too :)  Or When the screensaver has timed out and it blanks the display.

Ned said:
My screen looks black when it's turned off too :)  Or When the screensaver has timed out and it blanks the display.

Take a closer look - the same opening S&T display is on both laptops (you're messin' with me, right?).  Both laptops had the same S&T Opening Page up and running, in full view and you've just proven my point - the glossy display is worthless, during the day, in a vehicle.  I'm posting a cut-and-paste of the display on the right (the glossy one) - squint really tight and maybe you can see S&T thru the glare (just as you have to do with your 17":

Attachments

• no anti reflection anti glare.jpg
    no anti reflection anti glare.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 16
Tom said:
Bill,

DP = diesel pusher.

Is the PC on the right displaying anything? It looks like it's off..

DP=diesel pusher - OooooooK.(?)

I'm not trying to fool anyone here - both the laptops in the pic I posted are Toshiba Satellites, both are running S&T, both are displaying, neither is in sleep mode.  (How is it that I can see S&T on both the computers and you folks can't?).

Look more closely - like I said.  I believe my point of warning to prospective laptop purchasers has been proven.....bill

BernieD said:
Bruce

free shipping on orders over $100, and the cost of the support was enough to get me free shipping ;D ;D

I just got finished doing something similar. Bought something from Cabelas that was around $25, but they had free shipping for orders over $100 so I bought enough stuff to get the free shipping. Hey, not going to let something free get by me.  ;D

Here's the 17" in nearly direct sunlight. 

Attachments

• P1000013 (Medium).JPG
    P1000013 (Medium).JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 17
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member