2003 Miata blue ox base plate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mich

I was planning on purchasing the "Aladdin" Blue Ox tow bar for my 2003 miata toad. Unfortunately, I cannot find a Blue Ox base plate for the 2003 model year Miata (can only find for 2002 model year or earlier). Can anyone comment on this?  Will a baseplate from Roadmaster (or any other company) work with the Aladdin?
thanks in advance for helping this newbie

I would call Blue OX an see what they say, there may be an important reason why your not finding one listed.

You need an adapter to fit a Blue Ox tow bar to a Roadmaster base plate (and vice versa). I believe Blue Ox sells the adpater and perhaps Roadmaster does too.  Much simpler to go with a Roadmaster tow bar if you need to use Roadmaster base plates. Roadmaster has a light duty tow bar too, though it is not as light as the Aladdin.

See Blue Ox Adapters here.

Call Blue Ox at 800-228-9289.

They both sell adaptors that run 100 to 138 bucks,  I have a Blue Ox bar with Roadmaster base plate for the Jeep GC,  My adaptor 1/2 to 5/8 bushing and 1/2 " case hardened bolts,gr 8.  took my grinder and rounded the bracket on the baseplate just a hair and it works like a dream.  Saves $$$$$  JMO

thanks guys. i will followup and post if i learn anything more. i appreciate the quick replies! :D

Representatives from Blue Ox state that they did not test the 2003 Miata so they cannot state whether the base plates that they produced for earlier models will work or not (perhaps they do). Looking at Mazda's website there were pretty minimal changes from 2002 to 2003 on the Miata.  Also, the Roadmaster bracket/base plate is listed as working on Miatas from 1990-2005.  Obviously I would like to use all of this as evidence that the Blue Ox baseplate would fit.  As mentioned, I could go with Roadmaster bracket/base plate and get the adapter to connect to the Aladdin tow bar.........but If anyone has used a Blue Ox base plate on a 2003 or newer Miata I would like to hear from you how it worked out. I would have to believe that many folks have been through this already.  Thanks again for your good help!
;D

Back
Top Bottom