Septic problems at the house

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Do tubs & showers even have traps like sinks do?  I can dump some water down there and see what happens.

Definitely!  When we're gone for several months we cover the shower and sink drain pipes so the water doesn't evaporate out of their traps.  When we returned from our first long trip there definitely an odor from the drains until we put water in them.  Betcha you'll find water in the drains solves your odor problem!  ;)

ArdraF

Ardra,

>>When we're gone for several months we cover the shower and sink drain pipes so the water doesn't evaporate out of their traps.<<

We have found that RV antifreeze works well for this.

A properly functioning septic system NEVER needs pumping out - routine pumping is the first sign of a failing system.  In some areas (due to soil conditions, high water levels or whatever), pumping is a fairly common thing, but it is not something inherent in having a septic system.

Gary:

The State of Illinois also encourages regular pump outs. It has nothing to do with the soil. Over time debris WILL end up in the tank and if it is not pumped out will gradually fill the tank and overflow into the drain field and start plugging it up. IIRC in Illinois if you had a garbage disposal they recommended every 12 months and without one every 24 months.

The newer homes had the electronically controlled systems that used no drain field and had to pumped regularly.

Gary, I'm with you on this! I bought a five bedroom house that had seven members in the family that built it, they were here four years and then we bought it, then raised three children here and still have not had to pump the septic! 31 years!!!!

They have all kinds of systems now! This is however a conventional system, and like Gary said when working properly doesn't need pumping!!

I had a friend who had to have his pumped and helped to uncover the tank, when the pumper folks got there and took the lid off it wasn't hard to see his problem. He had cigarette butts and tampons among others materials (latex) that should never be flushed down a toilet!! Those items will never decompose!!!

Randy

Anyone that throws that stuff in sewer line should have to eat them as is.

Thanks for the support, Randy & Shane. Tank has never been pumped in our current 28 year old house either. Did it once in our previous 14 year old house because I thought you were supposed to do that.  Tank guy asked me why I was having it pumped and when I said "just because", he shrugged his shoulders and allowed as though it was "your money and you could do as you please".

Karl said:
Jeff,What do you mean by "electronically controlled"? Is this just a holding tank? 

Karl:

The real definition is aerobic. The electronic (electric) portion is providing light and pumping air onto the system.  It has a clear lexan dome and uses sunlight and some type of electric bulb that replaces sunlight during dark and cloudy times to break down the waste. Requires quite a bit more chlorine tablets than the overflow system on our drain field but the only outflow is chlorine treated water without a drain field. Because of our homes proximity to our lake the county started reuiring these for homes built in the late eighties and any septic systems replaced after that time.

The tanks were pumped once a year.

This has been a very educational thread.  As they all are.  ;)

GOOD NEWS is that it's been almost a week since I dumped a couple gallons of water + 1/3 cup or so of vegetable oil down the drain of the unused shower, to refill the trap below.  Since then there have been no odors!  I love when a plan comes together.  Thanks all!  :)

The actual function of a septic system is to separate insoluble materials from the effluent.  The solids sink to the bottom, and the fat rises to the top.  If a system is not pumped regularly, the capacity of the tank is continuously reduced.  When the solids in the bottom rises or if the fat on top lowers to the outlet, the leach field will start to be plugged.  When the leach field will no longer accept the effluent, it has to be dug up and replaced.  If the system is lightly loaded, (only one or two people) and has no garbage grinder, it may last as long as twenty years. But it will fail.  Bacterial action may reduce the quantity of insolubles, but cannot prevent the build up.  When you have the tank pumped, have the pumper tell you how thick each layer was.  If he knows when the tank was last pumped, a qualified pumper can tell you how often you will need to pump it.
Art

scottydl said:
This has been a very educational thread.  As they all are.  ;)

GOOD NEWS is that it's been almost a week since I dumped a couple gallons of water + 1/3 cup or so of vegetable oil down the drain of the unused shower, to refill the trap below.  Since then there have been no odors!  I love when a plan comes together.  Thanks all!  :)

Not only did the plan come together .... But as fixes go this is about as "no cost" as it gets.

Glad we could help

Back
Top Bottom