EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: "Spirited Discussion" re: cost of HughesNet Equipment!!!! HELP!!  (Read 12370 times)

Jackliz

• ---
"Spirited Discussion" re: cost of HughesNet Equipment!!!! HELP!!
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:19:12 AM »
Howdy, Framily.

There is an ad on the HughesNet web page that is advertising equipment and standard installation for $299.98 after mail in rebate. I can't find out EXACTLY what this "equipment" is, however. Jack says that it is a radio transmitter and modem and satellite dish. Therefore he can mount the satellite dish on our tripod.  I am really confused about this BECAUSE I have seen tripod mounted satellite internet systems for at least $1200 - $1500. Please help clear up my confusion if you can.   

TIA,
Liz
Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce and Oreo the Escape Cat
Fulltiming in a 1993 Wanderlodge WB 40 ft
Dhanis, TX - Winter
Buena Vista, CO - Summer

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
Re: "Spirited Discussion" re: cost of HughesNet Equipment!!!! HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 08:38:24 AM »
Liz,

Yes, it includes everything, including installation by a pro, but they won't install it on a tripod. Installation includes activation of the modem by the tech talking with HN. If you have a fixed structure, they'll mount it on the roof or chimney.

The offer also requires a 2-year commitment, or a higher per month fee.

The $1200-$1500 prices you've seen include training to allow you (or Jack) to be able to get the system online after a move and may include an additional item equipment to allow you to do that.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:44:59 AM by Tom »
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 08:44:58 AM »
The dealer sold tripod packages also include a very good quality surveyor's tripod and a special mounting adapter for the dish and also a pointing device to help in aligning the antenna.  That plus the training that Tom mentioned makes the price quite reasonable.  You can't mount the HughesNet antenna on the same style tripod as a satellite TV antenna, it's much larger and heavier and requires a more rigid mount.

Several people here have recently bought used Datastorm systems for not much more than a new tripod system.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 08:51:43 AM »
Thanks for the clarification on the tripod and adapter. I forgot to mention that stuff  :-[

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 09:06:23 AM »
Liz:

If you are going to be on the move each summer look for a used MotoSat, you will be happier with it. I used a roof mounted fixed system for a year and it was a great improvement over Verizon at the time but love my MotoSat.

I also could not imagine that first year without Ron's "tech support" and help with Hughes.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 08:36:49 PM by Jeff Cousins »

Jackliz

• ---
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 09:26:36 AM »
Liz:

If you are going to be on the move each summer look for a used MotoSat, you will be happier with it. I used a roof mounted fixed system for a year and it was a great imprvement over Verion at the time but love my MotoSat.

I also could not imagine that first year without Ron's "tech support" and help with Hughes.

Thanks, Jeff. WHERE might I look for a used MotoSat ? BTW, did you EVER get my email and message concerning motorized cellular blinds?

Thanks again,
Liz
Regards,
Dhanis, TX - Winter
Buena Vista, CO - Summer

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 09:52:11 AM »
If you're serious about satellite internet, I would recommend joining the datastormusers.com forums, as that's where many of the dealers hang out.  There is buy and sell board where you can post a query for a used system.
2007 GMC Canyon

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2007, 09:55:51 AM »
The tripod systems included offset adaptor is designed to center the weight of the dish over the center of the tripod as well as aid in properly aligning the dish.  Another thing is that Hughesnet does not officially support of Moving systems.  When buying through a VAR like Motosat they provide you support.  When buying a tripod system the installer is your first line of support.  You still get the rebate even if you purchase a tripod system.
Ron & Sam-home is where we park it. Currently located   HERE

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »
Just to clarify, when Ron refers to Motosat and VARs, that's the HughesNet service, not the hardware.  I believe you can use Motosat as your VAR even with a tripod system.
2007 GMC Canyon

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 08:38:53 PM »
Thanks, Jeff. WHERE might I look for a used MotoSat ? BTW, did you EVER get my email and message concerning motorized cellular blinds?

Thanks again,
Liz

Liz:

We found our used Motosat at Satellite Alternatives in Phoenix and QZ, Terry got his from Dusty Foot.

Nope.

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 08:50:26 PM »
The higher price gets you one thing and one thing only.  The training.  Worth every penny.

If you have the training, you can get the sturdy surveyor tripod from home depot for under $50.  I have seen it on sale for $25.  You don't need the pointing device, you can get laptop software that is better.

Don't try this without the training.  If you pay for the training, everything else you need is thrown in.
Smoky S  Ham radio - W3PY

The magic of a campfire
where the fish get bigger
the mountains get higher
the hike was uphill both ways
and new friends become old friends

2005 KSDP3910 Newmar Kountry Star
Toad - Taurus wagon w/ axle lock
On our way to the Poudre River in Colorado for the summer!

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 05:56:27 AM »
I would recommend joining the datastormusers.com forums,
That's where I found mine and like Ned said, for not much more than a tripod system. I will keep my tripod anyway for those times when 'sky space' isn't available from the coach roof.
If you have the training, you can get the sturdy surveyor tripod from home depot for under $50.  I have seen it on sale for $25.  You don't need the pointing device, you can get laptop software that is better.
Don't try this without the training.  If you pay for the training, everything else you need is thrown in.
Don't quite agree with all that. Without the offset mounting plate, your dish and tripod might fall flat on its' face, and will certainly be more apt to lose the signal in windy weather. The small OPD (Outdoor Pointing Device) is invaluable. With it, I can get on the bird in less than 5 minutes; not including hardware setup time. Otherwise you have to lug a laptop out to the dish, and that can't be good for it in rainy weather . Training? Eh. Not really required, but may be helpful when experiencing problems. Setup is pretty straightforward, and the Datastorm Users Group has lots of good info on setup and troubleshooting. You would, of course, have had to download and/or read it before you experienced any problems. ::)
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Jackliz

• ---
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 09:07:35 AM »
A big THANK YOU for all of the replies. Jack says that we are now in the market for a used motorized roof mounted satellite internet system.

Regards,
Liz and Jack

Regards,
Dhanis, TX - Winter
Buena Vista, CO - Summer

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 09:13:55 AM »
Liz, just be sure to remind Jack that shaded sites (aka trees) are out. The dish will need a "clear view of the southern sky".

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 10:17:20 AM »
We bought our motorized roof system on eBay for $1200 (guy was asking $1500) with us picking it up in Prescott. Mike did all the installation, cleaning and tweaking and had to buy one new gizmo for $200 (sorry for the technical term).

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 11:00:38 AM »
We bought our motorized roof system on eBay for $1200 (guy was asking $1500) with us picking it up in Prescott. Mike did all the installation, cleaning and tweaking and had to buy one new gizmo for $200 (sorry for the technical term).

Wendy

Gizmo is ok Wendy lot of folks understand Gizmo better than thingy bob or do hicky. ;D

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 11:19:56 AM »
Mike says the "gizmo" is a D2 controller and he paid $225 for it.
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 11:31:51 AM »
Mike says the "gizmo" is a D2 controller and he paid $225 for it.

See I knew that so Gizm works. ;D

zukIzzy

• ---
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 12:13:06 PM »
So I have a few questions that you all may be able to answer.

Standard inmotion satelite dish like KLH tracvision is not compatible with Huges net?

Is it any harder to set up then a direct tv dish? same pricipal I assume?

How is bad weather performance?

How well does the system work for someone who moves around alot?

I have the need for a live internet feed in the middle of the CA desert from time to time and wonder if this system would work well for me.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the hijack
Wayne

Bob Buchanan

• ---
    • RV Space Manager reservation SW <c>
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
Hello Wayne:

>> Standard inmotion satelite dish like KLH tracvision is not compatible with Huges net?
====
You must be sitting still for HughesNet to work -- or most other competing Internet Sat Systems.

>> Is it any harder to set up then a direct tv dish? same pricipal I assume?
====
Same principal in that you must point to the correct bird -- but unlike DirecTV, the signal is both up and down. If the target for DirecTV was the diameter of a hula hoop, Internet birds would be the size of an orange. You also have to deal with Skew that is not required in a DTV setup. And finally, you must pass a "cross pol" test. Think of the target as a mail slot -- either vertical or horizontal -- and the signal as a letter that has to go thru the slot. According where you point from, the letter must be skewed to fit thru the slot.

>> How is bad weather performance?
====
I have been using a sat dish for about 6 years and have never had a weather problem -- other than once in Reno. Heavy wet snow caused a short problem on the dish itself plus the heavy wet flakes flying around (see attached). Otherwise 24/7.

>> How well does the system work for someone who moves around a lot?
====
Perfect -- that's the whole idea.

>> I have the need for a live Internet feed in the middle of the CA desert from time to time and wonder if this system would work well for me.
====
As long as you can see the sky over Texas you can be on line anywhere in the US -- and parts of Canada or Mexico. So if not, that's a time when a Tripod set up works well vs. a roof mount. Ideally, one would have both. For a few bucks more, a used Tripod system can be had to keep just in case. The Modem would work for either.

If you decide to attend the RV Forum rally in Quartzsite in January, you would see at least 6 to 10 systems in our camping area from various Internet sat types including HughesNet -- in the middle of BLM desert with no hookups.

EDIT to add picture: The attached is a pic I took during that Reno stay. This was before the Tripod era of mounts. In those days we were mounting the dish with mounts designed for home roofs attached to a 2 by 4 piece of plywood. I would always ask for a park bench in an RV site so I could C clamp the plywood for dish setup and pointing. If I recall, my service was interrupted for about 1/2 hour due to this wet show.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 03:15:51 PM by Bob Buchanan »
Bob (fulltimer - Rocklin, CA residency)
Current Location
My Photo Album
Business Website

zukIzzy

• ---
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2007, 03:42:20 PM »
Wow great reply ;D

What are we talking money wise for a package $. I would love to go used but my time is limited so to save a bit of it I would probly just buy new.

When is Quartsite? I am in Congress on the 4th 5th and 6th.

Thanks
Wayne

JamieB

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »
Wayne.

It really depends on what you want.

For a fully automatic roof mounted system, new $5,000 +/-, used $1,500 to $3,000
For a manual tripod mount, new $1,200 +/-, used $500 to $800

Which is best for you is determined by what you need it for, how often you will use it, how often you move, and your budget.

If you give us more details about your intended usage, we can make a recommendation.

Jamie Billingsley
Satellite Internet Solutions.
Jamie Billingsley
Fayetteville, Arkansas
jamie@dish-internet.com

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »
How well does the system work for someone who moves around alot?

I have the need for a live internet feed in the middle of the CA desert from time to time and wonder if this system would work well for me.

We're sitting in Death Valley....you can't get much more CA desert than that, and I'm online right now with our Hughes system. We've used it everywhere from Tennessee to California to Oregon. Never had a problem. We switched from the tripod system to the manual roof system because we didn't have a lot of bay storage (the dish is on the biggish side). We switched from the manual roof mount to the automatic roof system because we found a good deal and because we travel a lot and often find ourselves in need of quick internet access to file reports.

Wendy
Death Valley NP
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 09:40:41 PM »
Karl:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on all points! ;D

You know I would not recommend anything I have not tried myself and succeeded with.

And who wants to be setting up dishes in the rain anyways?  I prefer to sit under my toasty heat pump or propane furnace and sip a single malt when it is raining!!

Jack and Liz:

Even though we have a roof mount, we kept our tripod for use when building and trees are in the way of our roof mount.

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Karl

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • No Brett; no sweat. A QB's not the whole team.
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2007, 12:05:09 AM »
Smoky,
I prefer to sit under my toasty heat pump or propane furnace and sip a single malt when it is raining!!
We can discuss the relative merits of both systems and their setup/operation under the above conditions - you supply the Scotch, I'll take carae of the rain!  ;D

Like others, I have decided to hold on to my tripod system for those sites where the rooftop mount won't pick up the bird. Actually, my Motosat picked up a bird even in a heavily wooded location - see attached photo. 
Karl (Cheesehead) Kolbus   Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy cow ...what a ride!"

Ron

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2007, 09:48:25 AM »
Wow great reply ;D

What are we talking money wise for a package $. I would love to go used but my time is limited so to save a bit of it I would probly just buy new.

When is Quartsite? I am in Congress on the 4th 5th and 6th.

Thanks
Wayne

Yes Bob has provided an excellent response.  Jamie has give you a good price range to be looking at.  Where are you currently located and will you be in the Yuma area anytime?

zukIzzy

• ---
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2007, 01:52:15 PM »
Jamie

My situation is like this. I am 39 and still a working stiff ( commercial Painting contractor). I own all or part of 2 desert/4x4 teams, I also help promote desert style races. I have Verison at home and at the office and am very happy with it there but I have the need for High speed internet in desolate places like Johnson Valley, Stodard Wells and Others. I have an air card for my lap top but it is marginal at best in the city and virtually useless more than a couple miles off a major Highway. I have gotten by on a blackberry but not very well. I pay my 17 year old to send info for me cause she can use my black berry so much faster than me. She goes to college next year and will not be able to make all the races. I am never in the same place more than a few days, unless I am vacationing and then I dont' want to be in contact anyway.

So my needs are.
portable enough to take anywhere.
Easy enough to set up for short stays. (if it takes a full day to do it it would not be worth it. a couple hours would be fine)
Cheap enough to warrant the purchase for my use. I am not rich but have some $ to make a purchase if the system fits. I am a bit reluctant to switch my my home and buisness internet.

that is all I can think of right now.

Thanks Wendy
 I love death valley and have been to all corners. Few people are aware of even a fraction of the western history there. Were are you staying?

Ron
I live in Menifee Ca near Temecula and yes I have an Aunt and Uncle who winter in Yuma
from South Dakota. We will see them in January or Feruary I am sure.

Wayne

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2007, 07:06:38 PM »

portable enough to take anywhere.
Easy enough to set up for short stays. (if it takes a full day to do it it would not be worth it. a couple hours would be fine)
Cheap enough to warrant the purchase for my use. I am not rich but have some $ to make a purchase if the system fits. I am a bit reluctant to switch my my home and buisness internet.

Thanks Wendy
 I love death valley and have been to all corners. Few people are aware of even a fraction of the western history there. Were are you staying?

Wayne

Dustyfoot, a guy who sells systems, has one set up in/on a van so they are portable.
Easy enough to set up....Mike usually got our manual roof mount set up in less than 15 minutes. The tripod mount system took a bit longer because he had to get everything out of the storage bays and put more stuff together.
Cheap? Depends. We use the Hughes system on the road and at home so we aren't paying for cable or DSL at home. And we're able to write off part of the cost because we use it for business.

We're hosting at Sunset Campground. Mike's a retired NPS ranger and we lived here for 4 years in the 80s. Love this place, you can't beat the views. And it's substantially warmer than home (SW Colorado where they're getting lots and lots of lovely fresh snow).

Wendy
Death Valley NP

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

Smoky

• ---
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 02:11:07 PM »
Karl:

I can think of all kinds of great things to discuss over a single malt!  did I read somewhere in this thread you are not coming to QZ?  I hope I misread that because QZ is a great place for sampling malts, especially when a campfire is near!

Ron:

Saw you asking about Yuma.  Are you going back there or are you still in Texas?

The magic of a campfire
the mountains get higher

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 02:24:29 PM »
Karl has asked me to drink his share of the single malts at QZ this year.  Since he's an old and dear friend, I will accede to his wishes.
2007 GMC Canyon

Hosted by Over The Network