"Spirited Discussion" re: cost of HughesNet Equipment!!!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, Framily.

There is an ad on the HughesNet web page that is advertising equipment and standard installation for $299.98 after mail in rebate. I can't find out EXACTLY what this "equipment" is, however. Jack says that it is a radio transmitter and modem and satellite dish. Therefore he can mount the satellite dish on our tripod.  I am really confused about this BECAUSE I have seen tripod mounted satellite internet systems for at least $1200 - $1500. Please help clear up my confusion if you can. 

TIA,
Liz

Liz,

Yes, it includes everything, including installation by a pro, but they won't install it on a tripod. Installation includes activation of the modem by the tech talking with HN. If you have a fixed structure, they'll mount it on the roof or chimney.

The offer also requires a 2-year commitment, or a higher per month fee.

The $1200-$1500 prices you've seen include training to allow you (or Jack) to be able to get the system online after a move and may include an additional item equipment to allow you to do that.

The dealer sold tripod packages also include a very good quality surveyor's tripod and a special mounting adapter for the dish and also a pointing device to help in aligning the antenna.  That plus the training that Tom mentioned makes the price quite reasonable.  You can't mount the HughesNet antenna on the same style tripod as a satellite TV antenna, it's much larger and heavier and requires a more rigid mount.

Several people here have recently bought used Datastorm systems for not much more than a new tripod system.

Thanks for the clarification on the tripod and adapter. I forgot to mention that stuff  :-[

Liz:

If you are going to be on the move each summer look for a used MotoSat, you will be happier with it. I used a roof mounted fixed system for a year and it was a great improvement over Verizon at the time but love my MotoSat.

I also could not imagine that first year without Ron's "tech support" and help with Hughes.

Jeff Cousins said:
Liz:

If you are going to be on the move each summer look for a used MotoSat, you will be happier with it. I used a roof mounted fixed system for a year and it was a great imprvement over Verion at the time but love my MotoSat.

I also could not imagine that first year without Ron's "tech support" and help with Hughes.

Thanks, Jeff. WHERE might I look for a used MotoSat ? BTW, did you EVER get my email and message concerning motorized cellular blinds?

Thanks again,
Liz

If you're serious about satellite internet, I would recommend joining the datastormusers.com forums, as that's where many of the dealers hang out.  There is buy and sell board where you can post a query for a used system.

The tripod systems included offset adaptor is designed to center the weight of the dish over the center of the tripod as well as aid in properly aligning the dish.  Another thing is that Hughesnet does not officially support of Moving systems.  When buying through a VAR like Motosat they provide you support.  When buying a tripod system the installer is your first line of support.  You still get the rebate even if you purchase a tripod system.

Just to clarify, when Ron refers to Motosat and VARs, that's the HughesNet service, not the hardware.  I believe you can use Motosat as your VAR even with a tripod system.

Jackliz said:
Thanks, Jeff. WHERE might I look for a used MotoSat ? BTW, did you EVER get my email and message concerning motorized cellular blinds?

Thanks again,
Liz

Liz:

We found our used Motosat at Satellite Alternatives in Phoenix and QZ, Terry got his from Dusty Foot.

Nope.

The higher price gets you one thing and one thing only.  The training.  Worth every penny.

If you have the training, you can get the sturdy surveyor tripod from home depot for under $50.  I have seen it on sale for $25.  You don't need the pointing device, you can get laptop software that is better.

Don't try this without the training.  If you pay for the training, everything else you need is thrown in.

I would recommend joining the datastormusers.com forums,
That's where I found mine and like Ned said, for not much more than a tripod system. I will keep my tripod anyway for those times when 'sky space' isn't available from the coach roof.
If you have the training, you can get the sturdy surveyor tripod from home depot for under $50.  I have seen it on sale for $25.  You don't need the pointing device, you can get laptop software that is better.
Don't try this without the training.  If you pay for the training, everything else you need is thrown in.
Don't quite agree with all that. Without the offset mounting plate, your dish and tripod might fall flat on its' face, and will certainly be more apt to lose the signal in windy weather. The small OPD (Outdoor Pointing Device) is invaluable. With it, I can get on the bird in less than 5 minutes; not including hardware setup time. Otherwise you have to lug a laptop out to the dish, and that can't be good for it in rainy weather . Training? Eh. Not really required, but may be helpful when experiencing problems. Setup is pretty straightforward, and the Datastorm Users Group has lots of good info on setup and troubleshooting. You would, of course, have had to download and/or read it before you experienced any problems. ::)

A big THANK YOU for all of the replies. Jack says that we are now in the market for a used motorized roof mounted satellite internet system.

Regards,
Liz and Jack

Liz, just be sure to remind Jack that shaded sites (aka trees) are out. The dish will need a "clear view of the southern sky".

We bought our motorized roof system on eBay for $1200 (guy was asking $1500) with us picking it up in Prescott. Mike did all the installation, cleaning and tweaking and had to buy one new gizmo for $200 (sorry for the technical term).

Wendy

wendycoke said:
We bought our motorized roof system on eBay for $1200 (guy was asking $1500) with us picking it up in Prescott. Mike did all the installation, cleaning and tweaking and had to buy one new gizmo for $200 (sorry for the technical term).

Wendy

Gizmo is ok Wendy lot of folks understand Gizmo better than thingy bob or do hicky. ;D

So I have a few questions that you all may be able to answer.

Standard inmotion satelite dish like KLH tracvision is not compatible with Huges net?

Is it any harder to set up then a direct tv dish? same pricipal I assume?

How is bad weather performance?

How well does the system work for someone who moves around alot?

I have the need for a live internet feed in the middle of the CA desert from time to time and wonder if this system would work well for me.

Thanks in advance, sorry for the hijack
Wayne

Hello Wayne:

>> Standard inmotion satelite dish like KLH tracvision is not compatible with Huges net?
====
You must be sitting still for HughesNet to work -- or most other competing Internet Sat Systems.

>> Is it any harder to set up then a direct tv dish? same pricipal I assume?
====
Same principal in that you must point to the correct bird -- but unlike DirecTV, the signal is both up and down. If the target for DirecTV was the diameter of a hula hoop, Internet birds would be the size of an orange. You also have to deal with Skew that is not required in a DTV setup. And finally, you must pass a "cross pol" test. Think of the target as a mail slot -- either vertical or horizontal -- and the signal as a letter that has to go thru the slot. According where you point from, the letter must be skewed to fit thru the slot.

>> How is bad weather performance?
====
I have been using a sat dish for about 6 years and have never had a weather problem -- other than once in Reno. Heavy wet snow caused a short problem on the dish itself plus the heavy wet flakes flying around (see attached). Otherwise 24/7.

>> How well does the system work for someone who moves around a lot?
====
Perfect -- that's the whole idea.

>> I have the need for a live Internet feed in the middle of the CA desert from time to time and wonder if this system would work well for me.
====
As long as you can see the sky over Texas you can be on line anywhere in the US -- and parts of Canada or Mexico. So if not, that's a time when a Tripod set up works well vs. a roof mount. Ideally, one would have both. For a few bucks more, a used Tripod system can be had to keep just in case. The Modem would work for either.

If you decide to attend the RV Forum rally in Quartzsite in January, you would see at least 6 to 10 systems in our camping area from various Internet sat types including HughesNet -- in the middle of BLM desert with no hookups.

EDIT to add picture: The attached is a pic I took during that Reno stay. This was before the Tripod era of mounts. In those days we were mounting the dish with mounts designed for home roofs attached to a 2 by 4 piece of plywood. I would always ask for a park bench in an RV site so I could C clamp the plywood for dish setup and pointing. If I recall, my service was interrupted for about 1/2 hour due to this wet show.

Attachments

• DishInSnowReno.jpg
    DishInSnowReno.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 30
Back
Top Bottom