"Spirited Discussion" re: cost of HughesNet Equipment!!!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wow great reply ;D

What are we talking money wise for a package $. I would love to go used but my time is limited so to save a bit of it I would probly just buy new.

When is Quartsite? I am in Congress on the 4th 5th and 6th.

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne.

It really depends on what you want.

For a fully automatic roof mounted system, new $5,000 +/-, used $1,500 to $3,000
For a manual tripod mount, new $1,200 +/-, used $500 to $800

Which is best for you is determined by what you need it for, how often you will use it, how often you move, and your budget.

If you give us more details about your intended usage, we can make a recommendation.

Jamie Billingsley
Satellite Internet Solutions.

zukIzzy said:
How well does the system work for someone who moves around alot?

I have the need for a live internet feed in the middle of the CA desert from time to time and wonder if this system would work well for me.

We're sitting in Death Valley....you can't get much more CA desert than that, and I'm online right now with our Hughes system. We've used it everywhere from Tennessee to California to Oregon. Never had a problem. We switched from the tripod system to the manual roof system because we didn't have a lot of bay storage (the dish is on the biggish side). We switched from the manual roof mount to the automatic roof system because we found a good deal and because we travel a lot and often find ourselves in need of quick internet access to file reports.

Wendy
Death Valley NP

Karl:

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on all points! ;D

You know I would not recommend anything I have not tried myself and succeeded with.

And who wants to be setting up dishes in the rain anyways?  I prefer to sit under my toasty heat pump or propane furnace and sip a single malt when it is raining!!

Jack and Liz:

Even though we have a roof mount, we kept our tripod for use when building and trees are in the way of our roof mount.

Smoky,
I prefer to sit under my toasty heat pump or propane furnace and sip a single malt when it is raining!!
We can discuss the relative merits of both systems and their setup/operation under the above conditions - you supply the Scotch, I'll take carae of the rain!  ;D

Like others, I have decided to hold on to my tripod system for those sites where the rooftop mount won't pick up the bird. Actually, my Motosat picked up a bird even in a heavily wooded location - see attached photo. 

Attachments

• DSCN0021.jpg
    DSCN0021.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 29
zukIzzy said:
Wow great reply ;D

What are we talking money wise for a package $. I would love to go used but my time is limited so to save a bit of it I would probly just buy new.

When is Quartsite? I am in Congress on the 4th 5th and 6th.

Thanks
Wayne

Yes Bob has provided an excellent response.  Jamie has give you a good price range to be looking at.  Where are you currently located and will you be in the Yuma area anytime?

Jamie

My situation is like this. I am 39 and still a working stiff ( commercial Painting contractor). I own all or part of 2 desert/4x4 teams, I also help promote desert style races. I have Verison at home and at the office and am very happy with it there but I have the need for High speed internet in desolate places like Johnson Valley, Stodard Wells and Others. I have an air card for my lap top but it is marginal at best in the city and virtually useless more than a couple miles off a major Highway. I have gotten by on a blackberry but not very well. I pay my 17 year old to send info for me cause she can use my black berry so much faster than me. She goes to college next year and will not be able to make all the races. I am never in the same place more than a few days, unless I am vacationing and then I dont' want to be in contact anyway.

So my needs are.
portable enough to take anywhere.
Easy enough to set up for short stays. (if it takes a full day to do it it would not be worth it. a couple hours would be fine)
Cheap enough to warrant the purchase for my use. I am not rich but have some $ to make a purchase if the system fits. I am a bit reluctant to switch my my home and buisness internet.

that is all I can think of right now.

Thanks Wendy
I love death valley and have been to all corners. Few people are aware of even a fraction of the western history there. Were are you staying?

Ron
I live in Menifee Ca near Temecula and yes I have an Aunt and Uncle who winter in Yuma
from South Dakota. We will see them in January or Feruary I am sure.

Wayne

zukIzzy said:
portable enough to take anywhere.
Easy enough to set up for short stays. (if it takes a full day to do it it would not be worth it. a couple hours would be fine)
Cheap enough to warrant the purchase for my use. I am not rich but have some $ to make a purchase if the system fits. I am a bit reluctant to switch my my home and buisness internet.

Thanks Wendy
I love death valley and have been to all corners. Few people are aware of even a fraction of the western history there. Were are you staying?

Wayne

Dustyfoot, a guy who sells systems, has one set up in/on a van so they are portable.
Easy enough to set up....Mike usually got our manual roof mount set up in less than 15 minutes. The tripod mount system took a bit longer because he had to get everything out of the storage bays and put more stuff together.
Cheap? Depends. We use the Hughes system on the road and at home so we aren't paying for cable or DSL at home. And we're able to write off part of the cost because we use it for business.

We're hosting at Sunset Campground. Mike's a retired NPS ranger and we lived here for 4 years in the 80s. Love this place, you can't beat the views. And it's substantially warmer than home (SW Colorado where they're getting lots and lots of lovely fresh snow).

Wendy
Death Valley NP

Karl:

I can think of all kinds of great things to discuss over a single malt!  did I read somewhere in this thread you are not coming to QZ?  I hope I misread that because QZ is a great place for sampling malts, especially when a campfire is near!

Ron:

Saw you asking about Yuma.  Are you going back there or are you still in Texas?

Karl has asked me to drink his share of the single malts at QZ this year.  Since he's an old and dear friend, I will accede to his wishes.

Jackliz said:
A big THANK YOU for all of the replies. Jack says that we are now in the market for a used motorized roof mounted satellite internet system.

Regards,
Liz and Jack

Here is another ENGINEERING CHANGE ORDER!!!! Jack has changed his mind, AGAIN!! Jack is nervous about a roof mounted system.  ???  Jack wants to know if he will have to agree to a 2 year contract to get sateliite internet service. He also wants to know if Hughesnet is the ONLY satellite internet service provider.

:-\    :-\    :-\

Regards,
Liz

A properly installed roof mount is not a concern.  What is Jack nervous about?  I believe if you use Motosat as your VAR, you will only need a 1 year contract.  The only other viable satellite internet ISP is Starband.

liz:

The two year contract is to used to offset a $100-$200 rebate on the equipment cost. If you can find a used system WITH a series 7000 modem I beleive you will not have to sign up for the two years.

It will have to be a 7000 series modem as HugheNet is no longer commissioning the 6000 modems although it's possible that some VARs may have some SANs for 6000 modems but I would check first.  In any case, the 7000 is a much better choice regardless of price.

Ned said:
A properly installed roof mount is not a concern.  What is Jack nervous about?  I believe if you use Motosat as your VAR, you will only need a 1 year contract.  The only other viable satellite internet ISP is Starband.

Jack is nervous about the monthly cost of the service. I just received info that if we use Motosat as our VAR, we will be locked into a 18 month contract at a monthly fee of $79.99. Went to the Datastorm users forum and asked there. But that is only one reply, so far. 
I'm getting a headache over all of this stuff.    :mad:      :mad:      :mad:

Liz

Starband is another satellite internet service provider, but I have no experience with them.

Back
Top Bottom