Roadtrek fluorescent lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Whiskyecho

A fluorescent light fixture within my Roadtrek ('05/'06 190V) has stopped emitting light.

I removed the cover, the bulbs and a fuse - can't tell if the fuse is "blown" (elements too small) and not sure about the bulbs.

The fuse is pointed at each end (rather than flat) - has anyone come across one of this type of fuse?

Got a "questioning" e-mail in to Roadtrek but don't expect a reply until next week.

Anyone come across this problem?.....bill

I have found that usually when the bulb is bad it has turned dark on one end or both.  First try, I just replace bulb and see if fixture works.  As far as fuse goes dig out an ohm meter and check it out.  Also make sure you have 12 volts on the wiring coming into the fixture.  I have had to replace one of two small 8w/16w fixtures over seven years of use.  They are cheap....that is cheaply made not cheap in price.

Beyond that I am in the dark :)

Found a fuse replacement - inexpensive - told it's the type used in automotive dome lights. 

Just got home so haven't tried the replacement - the bulbs however don't appear to have "turned color".

I'll report on the fuse replacement.....bill

p.s.:  I've always absolutely hated anything to do with fluorescent lights - I don't like the light they put out and changing the bulbs is a pain in the rear!

Len and Jo said:
..As far as fuse goes dig out an ohm meter and check it out..

I did put a meter to the "fuse" and got a reading - but - after looking at the light's "mount" I discovered that it's got a 3 way rocker switch, used to control the light's function(s) - (somewhat hidden from view).  "Off" - "On" and, uh, "On".

The "fuse" turns out to be a mini-light bulb (a nite lite?).  Looks to be burning too intensely to be left "on" for a long period of time.  (Is this what automobile "dome" lites are - have always thought they were the small round type with bayonet fittings...?).

The fluorescent bulbs however aren't working - so I'll have to sniff around for a replacement source.....bill

Follow up:

Called and e-mailed Roadtrek - they said:  "The circuit board in the fight fixture is more likely the issue than the bulb or fuse.  Please contact a Roadtrek dealer and have them replace this under warranty."

So, I did just that - they'll call R/T and I'm 'sposed to contact the dealer next week.

If a "fix" goes smoothly I'll be grateful to R/T.....bill

p.s.:  I still dislike fluorescent fixtures!

We have two fluorescent fixtures in isle.  We use halogin lights over beds, in bathroom, and at eating/work table.  Halogins where ever we want to see clearly.  Not alot of watts but they are directional and bright.

Whiskyecho said:
..If a "fix" goes smoothly..

The saga continues:

As per instructions by the service department guy at DeMontrond RV (I-45N, Houston) I called this morning to see the status of the Light Fixture replacement.

Evidently, the fellow with whom I spoke last week no longer is employed at DeM RV - and nobody knows anything about my "problem" - so, it's "start-over" all over again.

A gal took the info that I got from R/T and said she'd call back, today, with some information.  I'm not holding breath.

Perhaps I'm turning into a cynic but I'm sick and tired of the mediocreness(?) of most of today's service (sic) people (and I've got a Dryer repairperson coming Wednesday - I can hardly wait).....bill

Whiskyecho said:
.... I'm sick and tired of the mediocreness(?) of most of today's service (sic) people...

You're not alone Bill, and it's one reason many of us prefer to use factory service centers to get things fixed.

"factory service centers" - tough to do with Roadtrek (and Maytag "isn't).....bill

Tom said:
You have a Maytag in your Roadtrek  ???

;D  no - the fluorescent light is in the Van - the (20 year old Maytag) is in my Home's service porch.

If my ""factory service centers" - tough to do with Roadtrek (and Maytag "isn't)" wasn't clear (as most of my posts haven't been lately) what was meant was:

1)  Roadtrek doesn't have "service centers" - ya gotta go thru their Dealers
2)  There is no "Maytag" anymore - didn't Whirlpool get 'em?.....bill

Understood Bill. I was merely trying to inject some of my brand of humor with the "Maytag in the Roadtrek" comment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom