Hello

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake123

Hi.
I'm Jake and I'm interested in learning more about RV'ing.  When I was just a tadpole my Grandparents took me on a summer
RV'ing through British Columbia and the Pacific Northwest.  It was the best and happiest days of my life. Now that I'm about
to retire, I plan to shuck it all and spent what years I have on the road, but I need to get a full understanding before I hit the road since I plan to sell my home and all.

Firstly, what do I do about such things as vehicle registration, license, tax, etc.?  I won't have a residence, and what kinfolks
I got, I rather not bother them.

Hi Jake and welcome to our forum. You've come to the right place to get those questions answered.

You might care to browse our library for relevant articles - click the Library button above and select one of the categories. e.g. try the Fulltiming category.

Hi Jake,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Please look around, ask questions, check out the library, and join in on any of the ongoing discussions.  Thanks for joining us.

You always have a legal domicile somewhere, whether it is an actual residence or not. Many folks here are full time RVers and maintain a "domicile" in Texas, South Dakota, Florida or Montana. Basically you establish a mail drop with a mail forwarding agency, obtain a driver license and get your vehicle registrations there, register to vote if you like, etc.

I'll let the fulltimers provide the details, but it is not complex.

Pleased to meet you all and thanks for pointing the way.  I hope someday I'll be able to make some helpful postings/replies.

RV Roamer said:
You always have a legal domicile somewhere, whether it is an actual residence or not. Many folks here are full time RVers and maintain a "domicile" in Texas, South Dakota, Florida or Montana. Basically you establish a mail drop with a mail forwarding agency, obtain a driver license and get your vehicle registrations there, register to vote if you like, etc.

I'll let the fulltimers provide the details, but it is not complex.

Maybe this is the wrong place to post this, so let me know if it is...
Is a mail forwarding agency different from  one of them Mailbox Etc. places?  The one's I asked said they do not allow their address to be used for license and registration.  About forwarding mail, where or how do you do it since I'm basically a "moving target"?

Jake,

Use the Advanced search link above and search for "mail forwarding". You'll find numerous prior discussions on that topic.

The big names are often rigid in their procedures and aren't really interested in serving RVers. They are just mail box renters.

Many folks here use services designed especially for RVers. The FMCA (Family Motor Coach Assc) and the Escapees both have excellent services, but there are others. You have your mail sent to your "personal mail box" (PMB) there and you call them and give them an address when ever you want it forwarded to you, either at a campground or at a Post Office that accepts General Delivery mail (nearly all small town POs do and one in every larger city will do so). 

I just saw a new mail service that will actually open and scan your incoming mail and fax or email it to you. Or read it to you over the phone if it is urgent. You pay extra for those services, but its available if that's what you want.

If you Google rv mail forwarding you will find numerous services.

Some states won't issue a driver license or vehicle registration to a PMB address - they want a physical address somewhere. Others understand that you may not have a ohysical address to use. Talk to the DMV office before picking a state to do your licenses.

Also be sure to look at the tax issues also. Some states have income tax and some don't. Some have a high personal property tax on vehicle registration. Some states don't tax income from employment but tax investment income. If you're retired then most of your income may be from investments.

When we researched this issue three years ago two states stood out for full timing using taxes, insurance cost and availability, vehicle registration costs, and convenience as major concerns.

Texas has the Escapees in Livingston as a resource and mail forwarder and SD has several private companies serving RVers. We use Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls but others here use different companies in the central and western areas of SD. Escapees do not charge members for the mail service, we pay $240.00 a year for ours.(unlimited mailings, lower rates are available)

We registered our vehicles by mail while on a trip out east because plates were expiring and stopped in Sioux Falls by early afternoon a few weeks later. We were on our way by 10:00AM the next day with drivers licenses and voter registration taken care of The DL facility is next door to Alternative Resources and are very aware of our mailing address.  SD has no vehicle inspection requirements or RV drivers test if you carry a valid out of state car license. Jury selection in Minnehaha County is taken from the voter registration rolls but full timers who have received notice have been been put on a standby list for the next time they are back in town if called. You are not allowed to vote in local elections but are qualified as absentee voters in state and national elections.

Escapees mail service isn't free, I think this year it costs $85/year.  FMCA is free but you don't control the mailing days and they don't have the options that the Escapee service does.

Ned:

I figure we saved the $240.00 by not having to buy the boots and hat to go with Texas plates. ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom