Run engine when motorhome is parked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acorn

First winter of having motorhome parked.  I was wondering if, and how often people fire the engine to keep seals in good shape?
Also how long should i let it run?  And lastly should i put in a fuel preservative?

Thanks
Acorn

For sure add a fuel stabilizer, whether you have gas or diesel. (Different formula for each.)

It really needs more than starting the engine periodically. If you can, it would be advisable to take the motorhome for a run once a month to exercise all the mechanical parts and also to get the engine up to working temperature.

I have an older MH, Pace Arrow 93. I start it up at least once per month during the winter months. I also run the genset for at least half an hour.
I keep it plugged into house power the rest of the time.

Woody

I agree with Tom. If you can't drive it and get it up to operating temperature, then you're better off not starting it. Just let it sit till Spring. In either case use a fuel stabilizer.

There's no question that sitting is harder on the brakes than non starting is on most engines, particularly diesles.  Yet most of us do it, and pay the repair bills when we get ready to RV.  Even by periodically starting my DP it sat unused since we came north last spring.  In getting it ready to leave this week end, there were a few surprises, the most costly was that the alternator had seized from lack of use.  That speaks to what you're being told, I never did take the coach out onto the road, so the dampness never was totally eliminated from the engine area, and that what caused it to seize.

I've never just let one sit.  Twice a month I drive them 20 miles or so on a highway,  Making sure all is well.  JMO

Hfx_Cdn said:
There's no question that sitting is harder on the brakes than non starting is on most engines, particularly diesles.  Yet most of us do it, and pay the repair bills when we get ready to RV.  Even by periodically starting my DP it sat unused since we came north last spring. 

The recommendation from Cummins is to leave the engine off if in storage, no reason to start it. Will probably do more damage if you start it and don't get it warmed uip to operating temperature. An oil change after restarting in the spring is recommended. On the other hand, the chassis manufacturers recommend starting the coach about once a month and moving the coach about 20' forward and 20' back to lubricate the seals. YPYM&TYC

IMHO you do one of two things.  Put stabilizer in the fuel and let the rig sit.  Or take the rig out for a drive everytime you start it up.  Letting a motor sit and idle, especially a diesel will not really do you any good.  In fact you are doing more harm then good.  The reason is the motor, tranny, ect do not get up to operating temp.  The result of that is you will provide the motor with condensation.  Water to steel does what????  Water in oil does what???  With a diesel motor if you just let the motor idle at the idle RPM for extended periods of time you will actually do more damage to your motor due to lack of lubrication.  So if your going to idle for extended periods then you need to set your cruise to idle above 1200 RPM, or get you one of those auto idles that changes that RPM every few minutes.  This way your motor will receive the lubricaiton it needs.  For those of you that would like a more tech description of this then hang out at any of the diesel websites and you will have plenty of info about letting an enging idle. 

I agree with those that support letting it set unless you can drive it and get everything up to operating temperature.  With diesels the only way to get the engine up to operating temps is to drive it.

While there is no real lack of lubrication while idling to do damage extended idling will cause carbon to build up in the injectors and other areas of the engine due to lack of operating temperature.  No diesel engine manufacture condons extended idling of their diesel engines.

Re: fuel stabilizer, I bought the big bottle of Sta-bil a few weeks back but haven't had a chance to drive the MH anywhere since then - so I haven't added the stuff.  I was waiting until the weather permitted me to take a drive, because the bottle recommends driving so the solution will get mixed in with the fuel and through the system.  Now we are under an inch of solid ice, more snow coming this week, and I don't know when the weather will improve.  Should I dump the Sta-bil in anyway, even though I may not be driving?  Or wait until I can get the MH on the road?  How long does it take fuel to "go bad" anyway?

Go ahead and put it in the tank,  I'd also put a can of Seaform in it also in your climate it needs it.

What does Seafoam offer related to the climate?  I thought it was just a fuel system or engine cleaner, depending on where it's dumped in.

Always have used it when up in the N. In or IL area in conjunction with stabil and never had a problem.  Does make it easier to start when ready.

Also, when we let it sit for a while Jerry always hooks up the trickle charger to bring it "up" before starting it.  Works like a charm!  Oh, and the one time it sat for a year he also took out the spark plugs and cleaned them and made sure the battery itself was in good shape.

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom