Trip report MO to CA and back again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AdamG

Got home last week from a trip to California through Kansas, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma and back to Kansas and then into Mssouri.  Total mileage was at around 5000 miles in nine days of driving.  Saw a large portion of the Southwest US, learned a few lessons and got to recharge the ole batteries back home `in Northern California. 
For the lessons I learned that I should always change fuel filter in  a used vehicle.  That sometimes the most random little piece of road trash can be SO D@MN expensive.  That one should read and comprehend every single piece of paper or sticker posted in their vehicle.  That you should NEVER forget that an RV is not a normal sized vehicle, especially when pulling a grade outside Denver on I-70.  Wind sucks more the more it blows, why it sucks and blows at the same time! 
Basically it was a good trip.
Thanks to all of you for the advice and pointers that made it happen!!|
Adam G

You didn't like our Colorado passes? :)  Slow and easy and you can make it every time. Be glad you're not there right now with the snow flying. As for remembering that an RV is not a normal sized vehicle, good advice.

Hope you had a good time.

Enjoy
Wendy
Death Valley NP

Averaging 555 miles per day for nine days running.  Whew!  I'm glad you enjoyed it, but that's no vacation in my book.  :-\

Frank  You sure got that right.  Just think of how much they'd have seen had they taken a real vacation and seen something with maybe 200 mile average a day over 25 days.

The next trip we take will for sure be slow and easy.  This trip was actually to a destination vs ust the trip being the vacation.  We had told me mother that we werent both coming out and that I was flying out alone on the 21st, so we had a deadline to try to be at her house in the driveway on the 21st.  We made the dealine and she was VERY suprised to have the wife and I both there along with the RV and our pups.  I am absolutly in agreement that a trip with fewer miles per dya woudl have been great, and believe you me the next one will be at a much more liesurely rate.  The upside is that the RV is easy enough to drive that aside from the winds in Wyoming and the winds in Kansas coiming home it was rather comfortable to sit on my tookus and watch the country slide by at a liesurely and effecient 58MPH...  LOL!
We did stop at the Grand Canyon and although we only spent a couple of hours there it was enough to convince us we need to go back, when it is warmer and see a whole lot more of it.  The colors of the terrian in New Mexico were incredible and that area is also one worth exploring further. 
I really hated driving so close to so many wonderful locations and nto being able to stop and smell the roses as it were. 
aDAM g

Sometimes you need a fast trip to convince you that you need to make that same trip at a much slower pace. I'm sure you'll enjoy the next trip much more.

Enjoy
Wendy
Death Valley NP

We have spent a couple extra weeks in Florida as my father recovered from an operation so are faced with a 7 day trip to Surprise beginning next weekend.

We have gotten used to leisurely trips since retiring but remember the team driving from Illinois to Colorado, Florida, and Maine in 24 hours or less when we were limited by work. 500-600 mile days are tough but in the Tradewinds are still a breeze compared to those trips with 3 kids in a 22' m/h to add to the stress. ???

Jeff Cousins said:
We have spent a couple extra weeks in Florida as my father recovered from an operation so are faced with a 7 day trip to Surprise beginning next weekend.

Should only take you 3 or 4 days to get accross Texas.  Just remmenber when you reach El Paso you will be more than half way to LA CA.

Ron said:
Should only take you 3 or 4 days to get accross Texas.  Just remmenber when you reach El Paso you will be more than half way to LA CA.

Ron:

When we get to El Paso we are a long day from Surprise, actually we try to make Deming and then it is a shorter one to Surprise.

KodiakRV said:
Averaging 555 miles per day for nine days running.  Whew!  I'm glad you enjoyed it, but that's no vacation in my book.   :-\

I didn't see anything in the original post about a "vacation".  Sounds as tho the folks were on a schedule to get somewhere (and back) and they happened to use the RV for the transportation.

Would be a nifty thing if everyone could afford (in time and $s) to take off whenever, for wherever they wanted - but.....bill

Trust me compared to my 9-5 that was a vacation... LOL!
I am 32 and my Wife is 29 we are very happy to able to have an RV and be able to take the time we have to look around out of the back yard a bit.  We are both looking forward to the days when we will hopefully be able to take all the time we care to and only have the schedule that time and seasons dictate...  Until then we will continue to take whirl wind trips to areas of the country to see if we some day want to come back and really get into the area.
Adam G

One need to do what they have to do to see the USA.  Those of us that have already paid our dues so to speak did the same thing when we had too.

Know the feeling  and now know better.   When the Gran-kids (3) were deep into bike racing it was a new town every two weeks and had to get them back to N. In. for school on Mon AM.  Sometimes the races weren't over till 6PM Sun.  Sometimes I'd drive there and would fly throughout the country.  Sure thrilled it's slowed down.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom