"Total Dry Weight"...what does it mean??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

87LtdT

When I look at data indicating a TT's dry weigh is 5000 lbs for example, does that include the 240 lbs that 30 gal of water in the tank would weigh...or would the towing weight of just trailer and water be 5240??

Thanks, Bob

The dry weight is a useless number.  Use the GVWR for the trailer for any towing calculations.  Dry weight plus carrying capacity should equal the GVWR.

87LtdT said:
When I look at data indicating a TT's dry weigh is 5000 lbs for example, does that include the 240 lbs that 30 gal of water in the tank would weigh...or would the towing weight of just trailer and water be 5240??

Thanks, Bob

No and no, yet again --  you will put a lot more than water in a trailer .   

"Dry/base weight" is the calculated weight of a manufacturer's particular model.  It may or may not include "extras" such as awnings, AC units, and such.   There is the whiff of fiction about the number.   Stilck with the stated gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) that the DOT requires to be on each unit -- it is the max that the unit should ever be allowed to weigh for towing.   A real weight as measured on a scale is the only better number and tho we recommend getting that for your trailer, it is hard to get on a unowned trailer.  Dealers usually want you to buy the trailer before you haul it to a scale.   ;D

The GVWR is found on the DOT plate on the driver's side forward edge of a trailer.

87LtdT said:

Thanks, Bob

To me when a salesman starts mentioning dry weight he either has no idea what he is talking about or he is very likely trying to give the prospective customer a real snow job.  Dry weight is absolutely useless when figuring weight limits.  Use the GVWR found on the DOT tag.

What the others have said - forget dry weight.

Dry weight is exactly that: dry. No water, no propane. Or anything else. Just the bare trailer. It also excludes any installed options, even those that were ordered by the dealer and factory installed. Worse yet, it may be the weight of the base model of a series and not the more upscale variant you are looking at, even though the upscale variant has more features. Same goes for the  hitch (pin) weight - it is the hitch weight that corresponds to that understated dry weight and nothing like what the weight will be when you are loaded for travel.

No No....Dry weight is vehicle weight before you put any bottles of gin in a cabinet.

It's too bad that RVs don't use a standard "weights" system, ala aircraft (that have weight limits for everything - then everyone would (should) know exact meanings of this or that.....bill

The weights are pretty much standard it is just for so long nobody really paid attention to what they were doing.  It is really too bad that RV manufacturers, and salesman are not held accountable for what they tell the buyer.

Check out the "weight ratings" explanations in our Glossary of RV Terms (click the Glossary button in the toolbar above.

Some trailer manufacturers acually weigh the unit before its shipped. I know Newmar does.

Ron said:
To me when a salesman starts mentioning dry weight he either has no idea what he is talking about or he is very likely trying to give the prospective customer a real snow job.  Dry weight is absolutely useless when figuring weight limits.  Use the GVWR found on the DOT tag.

I'll try to remember that ;)

Back
Top Bottom