Cell service for internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caltex

I recently purchased a laptop so I could connect to the internet while on the road in the RV ( it?s an Apple).  Now I need to get a cell phone service that I can use.  Most of the cell companies want to sell you the card for $70 or $80 per month.  That?s fine for those who spend a lot of time on the road, but a little pricy for occasional use. Assuming that I could live with lower speeds, what options are out there to use your cell and cell minutes for e-mail? I am currently using Celluar One on both cells, but will probably switch at least one to another carrier.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Robert

You will probably get some good suggestions here but the place for a lot of comparison and help is at Yahoo Group Internet by Cellphone at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/

Robert, 

Many of us here use Verizon.  They seem to have as good a coverage as most, better than some.  "National Access" is free with plans costing more than X per month. That allows you to connect using your plan minutes.

Verizon is free between 9PM and 6AM and on the weekends.  That's the only time I use it for internet access. Like now.  I'm generally up at Oh dark early anyway.

Do a search here for more than you ever really wanted to know.

When (if) you talk to Verizon, it is sometimes difficult to find a knowledgable sales person.  Your odds are better at a Verizon store than at the kiosh in the mall.

Joel

Bob

Bob Zambenini said:
You will probably get some good suggestions here but the place for a lot of comparison and help is at Yahoo Group Internet by Cellphone at

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/InternetByCellPhone/

I have a problem sending EMAIL using the cell phone, it seems that either of my ISP's refuse to accept Verizon because they are on the blacklist. Is there a way to set up the smtp server to use the Verizon server?

Nelson

Robert,

We have a Macintosh Powerbook and use Verizon for our cell service. Our current plan is the North Americas Choice plan. The reason that we have that plan is because we are traveling in Canada this year for about 3 1/2 months. It took Verizon a few days to get us working after entering Canada, but since then we have had good coverage in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia.

When we chose our phone we wanted it to be compatible with our Ositech PC card, which enables us to use an analog signal when unable to make a digital connection. That limited us to two phones and following Ositechs advice, we choose the Motorola V60s. We later found that although the phone is compatible with the Express Network, we couldn't connect at the higher speed. Phones that are "Get it Now" compatible apparently are automatically set up for the higher speed and many people are using that feature to connect to the internet, at the higher speed without paying any extra. I assume that if we payed extra for one of the Verizon data packages, we could use our phone at the higher speed. We won't do that and are satisfied using the 14,400 connection.

After getting our V60s, we received a cable that connects from our phone to the USB plug on our Macintosh, you don't need a complete kit. The Mac has built in cell phone software and has a modem script named "Sprint PCS Vision". To use Verizon as your ISP set Account Name to qnc, the Password to qnc and the Telephone Number to #777. In TCP select "Using PPP". In Modem select "Sprint PCS Vision". You can also use that cable to synch your cell phone address book to your Mac with built in software.

It's getting rarer that when in a Verizon extended area, an area that is serviced by a provider that Verizon contracts with, that we can't make a digital data connection even though digital voice calls work, but it does happen. We had it happen in Canada once even though two other days in the same place we were able to make a digital connection. We forced the PC card into analog only and the phone into analog and with only a one bar signal were able to do email. You may be that situation rarely enough that you could consider any phone that can be connected to your Mac with a USB cable. I'm sure others on the forum will share their experiences.

Joel
Thanks, I will check out Verizon today while I am in Dallas.

Tim & Jan
Thanks for the good data, sounds like you are doing about the same thing I want do do.

Robert

N Smock said:
I have a problem sending EMAIL using the cell phone, it seems that either of my ISP's refuse to accept Verizon because they are on the blacklist. Is there a way to set up the smtp server to use the Verizon server?
It's not a blacklist, Nelson. Your ISP's SMTP server is refusing to do what is called "relaying", i.e. sending mail for an unauthorized user.  The typical ISP authenticates their users at Logon time, so if you are logged onto Verizon (Q2N or NA) you are NOT logged on & authenticated by the ISP's SMTP server.

You need what is called an "authenticating SMTP server", one that will allow you to establish your authorization at the time you send the message.  The Escapees mail system has one; another is available from Fastmail.fm.  Verizon also has one that is associated with text messaging and if you sign up for text messaging services you will get an id/password that allows access to Verizon's SMTP server.  If you don't send any text messages there is no charge, but you can still email via the server.

Here is the Verizon text msg SMTP procedure (valid as of about February of this year - I haven't tried it since)

I have learned of a Verizon Wireless SMTP server that is available for use.  You must be a Verizon Wireless subscriber and register for Text Messaging, but there is no additional cost unless you actually send or receive a Text Message.  And even if that should happen once in awhile, it's only a few pennies.  It is an authenticating server, so it can be used outside of  Verizon's #777 network as well. Some email clients may have difficulty with the authentication protocol, though.

The server is smtp.vzwmail.net and here is the registration procedure:

1. Go to  http://www.vtext.com/customer_site/jsp/register.jsp

2. Enter your 10 digit wireless phone number.

3. Verizon will immediately send you a text message (on your cell phone) with a temporary password.

4. Enter the temporary Password you received on the sign-up web page; this will enable you to enter a new Password of your choice.  This is your authentication password for  the SMTP server.  Your account name is  [email protected], where "phone-number" is your 10 digit wireless phone number.

5. To set up your email client to use the server, follow this example (based on Outlook Express 6) which worked for me.  Other clients will be similar.

5a.First click on Tools and then Accounts. In the Accounts dialog, click  ADD and then Mail

5b. Fill in your email info via the Connection Wizard. Your name, email address and pop-server info is whatever you want. There is no Verizon pop-server or email address, so use one of your own.  When you get to the Outgoing mail [SMTP] server box, enter:    smtp.vzwmail.net

5c. For "account name" use [email protected] (use your own 10 digit phone number). For "password" use the password you established in step #4 above.

5d. Do not check the box "My Server Requires Authentication" . OK your way out of the Connection Wizard but do not exit the Accounts dialog page. Instead, select the Account you just created and click "Properties".

5e. On the Properties for the account, click the Servers tab.  If  "Log on using Secure Password Authorization" is checked, click to uncheck it.  Then check (click) the box for  "My  server requires authentication" and click the Settings button to open the Settings dialog.

5f. In the Settings dialog, click  "Log on using"  and fill in the boxes as follows:
    Account name:  [email protected]  (as in #4 above)
    Password:  password  (as in #4 above)
  Do NOT check "Log on using Secure Password Authorization"

OK your way out and close the Accounts menu dialog box.  You are [finally!] done.

I have been told that SSL authentication is required to use this serever, but when I checked  "Use SSL" in the Outlook Advanced Properties, authentication failed. Unchecking it (with set up as I described) worked, even when connecetd via Roadrunner cable.

Thanks to Don Blake, owner of the InternetByCellPhone Yahoo Group for his help  with this. Don provided a lot of the basic information shown above and his Yahoo Group is an excellent source for information on all kinds of cellullar internet access questions.

Tim & Jan said:
When we chose our phone we wanted it to be compatible with our Ositech PC card, which enables us to use an analog signal when unable to make a digital connection.

Does that mean that the Ositech King of Clubs PCMCIA card used in PC notebooks also fits & works in a Powerbook?

Tom said:
Does that mean that the Ositech King of Clubs PCMCIA card used in PC notebooks also fits & works in a Powerbook?

Yes it does. It's automatically recognized by the Mac, no drivers to install.

Tim & Jan said:
It's automatically recognized by the Mac, no drivers to install.

Thanks for that info. Not being a Mac owner, I had no idea it would work.

RV Roamer said:
Here is the Verizon text msg SMTP procedure (valid as of about February of this year - I haven't tried it since)

This seems accurate except that in step 4 one can enter a name i.e. not phone number as the account name. For some reason they suggest a nickname. However, nicknames were used up in a hurry so your ability to use your nickname is limited unless one gets creative and adds something smoky.mt? ;D

UPDATE - found that it is necessary to use phone number not the nickname setup as part of txt aas the smtp server address.

I am currently using a cell phone for internet service as I type this in the adult lounge in the activity center at one of the campgrounds where I am a member (The adult lounge has the best cell reception in the park in case anyone is wondering)

The phone I'm using is a Nokia 6610 and the service is T-Mobil GPRS, which they advertise as being abotu 50K, it's not (Well perhaps 50K After compression and all that, on a good day with a strong wind in the proper direction)

However it does work, I've used it in "Test" mode a few times this is the first "live Test"

Most digital cell phones come with an options list, and usually this options list includes a data cable, usually USB, however I have also seen a few (older) ones with serial cables and ONE, yes ONE, that actually had a port for a standard PHONE cable as an option (Do not know if it worked)  Many phones also support Infra Red to the computer (IrDA) however 1: That is even slower than T-Mobile's GPRS modem and 2: I've had the phone ring during a IrDA call, picked up the phone of course (What else would you do) and......The computer started growling (What it does when it looses it's data conection when using IrDA)  Cabled is much better, in many ways.

The phone will NOT ring when on a cabled GPRS call (At least mine won't, note all phone specific comments refer to the 6610 and it's siblings)  The 6610 is a tri-mode, world phone, I"m using T-mobile cause I like the service normally and it blankets the area I frequent.

Best coverage from what I gather from many sources is currently Vorizon (Spelling) and may change to sprint/Nextel soon (Since they merged) however I do not know.  I considered Vorizon for data service only however they wanted way too much for a data only account, T-mobile data service (Placed on my VOICE line) is only 20/month (well, 19.15)

So, other than being as slow as watching weeds grow,, IT's good,  (NOte, could be worse, before I subscribed to the data service best I could do was 9600 which ls like watching grass grow (Weeds grow faster) and of course if I had no service of any kind it would be like watching astro-turf grow (it is plastic, don't grow at all)

Note 2: Most cell phones come with drivers (if needed) for Windows 9x,  NT and MAC when you buy the data cables,,, Usually one of these work with just about anything popular.... Linux they don't support yet

Next project is getting a computer in the MH set up for modem sharing so I can use my Replay (It needs a data connection) to watch video...This won't be a problem when I park it at home.. Is now

Also in the next project area at the moment is doubling my acrage (if you can call it that) at home,,, Found out I can buy the vacant lot behind me for ..... $350.00  This will give me an easy way to park the RV where I want it, and a garden patch, and all I have to do is maintain the property and put up a fence... IF they sock me with a big tax bill.... I'll show the tax man my reciept for the land and ask him again how much it's worth.

Does anyone know if tri-mode phones can be forced into analog when a digital signal is present?

Tom said:
Does anyone know if tri-mode phones can be forced into analog when a digital signal is present?

Tom,

I have a Motorola T720 that can be forced into analog mode when a digital signal is present.  That's how I can connect to the internet when roaming in a non Verizon area.

Phil

Some can, while others cannot.  With analog service rapidly disappearing, that "feature" is becoming scarce on newer phones.  In fact, even analog mode itself is becoming a scarce on new phones.

Most phones can be forced/restricted to either the A or B channel only. If the analog signal is on a different channel than the digital one, that feature can sometimes be used to select the desired connection.

Thanks Gary. I'd offered my King of Clubs card to a friend who has a tri-mode phone and the question came up.

Count me as a Verizon user with the MOK.  I restrict my travel internet time to non prime time so it does not cost me a penny to operate at get it now speed.  The Yahoo group is a wonderful resource though you sometimes have to twist a few arms to get them to slow down and talk in baby language.  ;D

Gary great step by step on the smtp server process.  FINALLY, I understood what to do.  I copied your message in full and mailed it to myself for my permenent archive.

And yes Ron, my nickname is [email protected] lol!!  I wish I had thought of MT.

Gary:

I tried both the Verizon method and the Escapee method and cannot get either to work.  Perhpas you can coach me a bit?  Lets try the escapee, since it would be my preferred method.

In outlook 2003, I set up 'mail.escapees.'for both the incoming and outgoing server.

[email protected] is shown as email address

Smoky is shown as "Your name"

Smoky is shown as "user name"

No other settings have been addressed.

I can receive mail find from escapees.  But when I try to send mail I get this mail message back:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: RE: [mcdonogh59] Fw: A Few Funnies
      Sent: 7/2/2005 10:44 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'[email protected]' on 7/2/2005 10:44 AM
            550 not local host yahoogroups.com, not a gateway

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Smoky

" I set up 'mail.escapees.'for both the incoming and outgoing server."

I am not that familiar with either Verizon or Escapees, but shouldn't the outgoing server be smtp.escapees.com or something like that ???

Back
Top Bottom