Cell service for internet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi Robert,

We have been using Verizon for almost two years now. I am very happy with their Express Net connection. It's available free after 9pm and before 6am and all day on weekends. The speed is very good and I prefer it to any land line. I can also access the Internet at reasonable speeds. There's quite a difference between it and the land line. I would imagine even more improvements will be on the way in the not too distant future.

Express Net only works in Verizon's digital area. I believe there's a low speed access as well but I have never set that up. Of course, the trick is to park next to a Framily member with Internet Satellite available. ;D ;D

That is what I thought also Bernie.  But their web directions say to use mail.escapees.com for both the incoming and outgoing server. It had been working fine on the incomding side (instead of pop.escapees.com) and tested fine on the outgoing side using the OL2003 test, but in actual practice outgoing maile was being rejected.

Well mail.escapees.com is working now and I found the problem.  I have to go to the advanced settings for my escapee mail account in OL2003 and tell it that the SMTP outgoing server requires authentication.  It is a checkbox that must be checked.  Once I did that all is working fine on the regular broadband line.  I will try this on the Verizon MOK later.

Thanks Jim, after reading some of the Yahoo forum postings on the subject and everything that has been said here, it looks like Verizon is tha way to go.  Unfortunately it doesn't have good coverage at my place in Texas, so I may have to just travel with Tom and use his Sat connection.

Robert

caltex said:
Thanks Jim, after reading some of the Yahoo forum postings on the subject and everything that has been said here, it looks like Verizon is tha way to go.  Unfortunately it doesn't have good coverage at my place in Texas, so I may have to just travel with Tom and use his Sat connection.

Robert

Sounds like you have a great plan for Internet access when Verizon doesn't work. ;D ;D Another option might be to get Verizon to put up a tower on your property. Then they can pay you a monthly fee and you'll have great service. ;D

caltex said:

Robert

Have you tried Sprint ??? If it can provide service to you at home then you aren't going to lose much, if any, traveling with Sprint, IMHO. But then, I am biased ;D ;D ;D

Has anyone found a wireless cell repeater that works with Verizon 1X network? All the Wilson I found said it works with voice but not data???

The antenna should have no bearing on the phone working in data mode.  If the tower doesn't support it, as many of the extended area carriers do not, then the antenna doesn't make any difference.

Jeff /Washington said:
Has anyone found a wireless cell repeater that works with Verizon 1X network? All the Wilson I found said it works with voice but not data???

Robert

The people that I know that use the Wilson indicate it works well for 1xRTT. A good friend uses one with his Sprint phone in TX and gets better internet service than on his Verizon phone which he also uses on the Wilson.

FWIW_I'm sitting in the Winding River CG in the NF about 3 miles from the little town of Grand Lake, CO and using Verizon 1X service.  ;D I thought sure I'd be reduced to 5 days without any service but it's working great.

Karl said:
Jim,

And then you can have the pleasure (?) of listening to everyone's conversations thru your gold fillings ;D

Karl,

Yes and you  cannot divulge what you hear. ;D We had an engineer working for SNET that retired. He had a nice piece of property with a hill in the back. He convinced SNET to put up a cell tower. Now he gets SNET retirement and the income from the tower lease. Not a bad deal.

I have Sprint with the vision plan-unlimited internet on the phone.  The software Future Dial software allows me to connect to the net when I am on Sprints network.  No extra charges just buy the software, cable and connect.  It works for me almost everywhere.
Hope this is not considered commercial..www.futuredial.com

pylot135 said:
I have Sprint with the vision plan-unlimited internet on the phone.  The software Future Dial software allows me to connect to the net when I am on Sprints network.  No extra charges just buy the software, cable and connect.  It works for me almost everywhere.
Hope this is not considered commercial..www.futuredial.com

Actually, the Future Dial software is not needed. I also have SprintPCS/Vision and use no outside software. I have a USB cable that charges the phone while hooked up to the laptop, created a Dial Up Network node and do the same thing. Go to the Yahoo Group; Internetbycellphone to read the SprintPCS tutorial on how to set it up.

Double reply....

To Smokey: The problem with mail going to Yahoo Groups may be with the address.  The fact you are getting a response in the form you are getting means that Escapees mail server does not know the domain "yahoogroups"  You may have the address wrong

To Ned: I found a nice looking cell repeater,  Do not know if it will do data though  Don't have a bookmark

Will have to go off the printed page... Thanks for asking that question. I"d have been very ticked off if I bought it and it did not work for Data

John:

How is your new home doing?  Getting broken in I bet!

Our new home already has 2,000 miles on it and we have not begun our westward trek even.  Looks like about 3 weeks and we begin our annual circle of the United States. 

I need to get Ron's phone number etc again so I can order my Direcway equipment.  I am about 90% decided I will use a roof mount instead of the tripod.  Newmar reassured me by explaining with my one piece fiberglass roof, I can mount the dish anywhere I want on the roof.  The fiberglass alone is strong enough to hold it and they run no wires under the roof.  They say I might hit an aluminum framing piece, but that will also hold the screw fine.  No backing plate will be required.

I am hoping to mount it in a rear position where I can just go to the top of the ladder and not even have to get out on the roof.  I am sure I will have expert help from Ron when I arrive at Sam's camp.

The escapee server problem is solved.  Gary's instructions in this thread are superb and a long time mystery has been solved.

I believe now with both the Verizon National Enhanced Network and the Direcway satellite access I will be very well covered for Internet access during our travels.

>> I am about 90% decided I will use a roof mount instead of the tripod.
====
A number of members here have successfully done roof mounts -- including myself. They "are" much more convenient than the tripod. Keep in mind that the dish in high wind will tug at the mount so a firm install is necessary to avoid a leak developing. Also, one test of alignment is the 4 quadrant pull. That one is where you pull the dish in 4 directions to check maximum signal strength. So that is more of a twisting tug on the mount.

>> I am hoping to mount it in a rear position where I can just go to the top of the ladder and not even have to get out on the roof.
====
That will probably not work, Smoky. Final adjustment unusually has you behind the dish opposite the direction the LNB arm is pointing. If that direction is anywhere in the 180 degree to your coach direction, you can see how cumbersome that would be. Getting on the roof makes the whole operation much easier than what you are hoping for from the ladder. Some have put escape hatch kinda roof access that they claim to be able to set up w/o going on the roof, but I find that hard to understand if one has an LNB arm in their face.

>> I believe now with both the Verizon National Enhanced Network and the Direcway satellite access I will be very well covered for Internet access during our travels.
====
That's exactly what I have and, yes, I am rarely am without coverage.

Smokey,

The fiberglass alone is strong enough to hold it and they run no wires under the roof.

While Newmar say it's strong enough to hold it, I would make sure make the mounting plate is as large as practical and use lots of well sealed screws. That .78 meter dish is a pretty big sail, and fiberglass is not known to be 'screw-friendly'. Screw threads tend to cut the fibers and crack the resin thereby reducing their holding power. Perhaps a better bet would be to lay out the mounting holes on the roof, drill holes for them, then cut about a 1 1/2" circle in the center of the layout for positioning and temporarily gluing nuts and large washers beneath each mounting hole. You could devise a tool out of a coat hanger to hold and position the nut/washer (glue them together with a little hot melt glue) under each hole and drop a little hot melt glue into the pre-drilled mounting hole to hold them in place for the final mounting step. Once the nuts are mounted, you could replace the disk you cut out with a hole saw with some epoxy. Better still than the nut/washer cobination would be those captive nuts that have two barbs that imbed themselves into the wood or fiberglass when tightened; acts like a lock washer that prevents the nut from turning when being tightened. Then you could size the mounting holes just slightly smaller than the nut shank, and use a screw to pull it into the hole. The friction fit will hold it in place without gluing. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom