Can you pull a small boat behind a TT??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

87LtdT

Thinking of getting a Tracker Pro Crappie and would like to pull it behind a TT...but don't have either one yet.

Is this legal, safe, stupid, ???

Thanks Bob

It's legal in some states and not others. Some states also require a CDL. Use the Advanced search link above to search seaparately for "double tow" and "triple tow" and you'll find recent discussions on this topic.

Personally I always thought that triple towing is risky at best, especially with the hitch & tow bar of the typical travel trailer and boat trailer.  It works well enough going straight down the road, and OK in cornering as long as you pay attention to what you are doing and have plenty of room, but what happens if you ever have to swerve or slam on the brakes?  Trailers can get awkward in a hurry when there is only one of them; having two back there when the crap hits the fan is not something I want to see or be anywhere near.

But then, I'm a bit conservative, having had a trailer jackknife and tip over on me once after a seemingly minor emergency. My wife was driving at the time and her trailer handling skills were not the best, but it sure made a trailer safety believer out of me!

87LtdT said:
Thinking of getting a Tracker Pro Crappie and would like to pull it behind a TT...but don't have either one yet.

Is this legal, safe, stupid, ???

Probably not legal, and in no case wise.  The states that do permit multiple tows generally require that the first towed vehicle be a 5th wheel trailer.  TTs are not 5th wheel trailers.  Check out the specific regulations in licensing and towing in your state.

Carl L said:
The states that do permit multiple tows generally require that the first towed vehicle be a 5th wheel trailer.

Good catch Carl. Bob did say TT and I missed that.

I remember in the 50s seeing a film clip (working at a TV station at the time).  It was intended to be used as a commercial for a tear drop trailer.  To show how stable it was, they connected two, in line, behind a small sedan; then they took it down a curving mountain road at normal driving speed.  You could see the second trailer start to swing, but they continued on.  at the end, all three were off the road, and one was at 45 degrees and the second was on its side.
Art

IMHO double or as some say triple towing is just plain a dumb idea.  While it is legal in some states it is not legal in all and for those states that allow it the requirments differ.  Also just because it is legal in your state does not make it legal for you in states that does not allow it.  In many states that allow this sort of thing it is illegal unless the second vehicle in the consist is a fith wheel.  I believe Michigan is one of the states the only alows a boat to be towed behind a fith wheel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom