RVing in Europe - A Blog

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom in VB

Greetings to all

I have posted on other boards and I will post here the URL for our travel blog concerning our 6 months touring in Europe and Asia Minor in our Winnebago View named Papillon.

www.papillontravels.net

We invite all to travel with us thru the Old Country.  Be advised that the blog is always a work in progress and new info is added as I get to it.  Rv'ing in Europe is much different than here, and possibly even more popular there.  Next year we look to tour Morocco, Spain, France and who knows where.  Future plans include Russia we hope.

We invite questions if you have an interest in touring Europe.

Tom and Judy
Vero Beach, Florida

[edit]To make link live.[/edit]

Great blog folks!  I have taken the liberty of moving it to its own topic, so more folks are likely to encounter it.  Thanks for posting the link.

Hi Tom

I didnt realise you had visited so many countries when you came over - great website !!

If anyone fancies Morocco, there is a company doing a special RV tour next September - http://www.desertdetours.com/index.htm (only problem is getting your RV there and back :D). I do know people who have taken their RV and they really enjoyed it.

The rest of the time, tours are geared toward smaller euro style motorhomes, which you could rent over there if you fancied it.

I have heard some GREAT reviews for these tours.

Paul

You may find more weblogs of European motorhoming at this URL

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/177/67/

The site is owned by a long terming UK couple.

The hardest part about touring Europe in a motorhome is making the decision to go.  After that it is easy.

Tom in Vero Beach

The hardest part about touring Europe in a motorhome is making the decision to go.  After that it is easy.

Tom,

It is a shame that more US and Canadian RVers don't choose to tour Europe - I'm sure you will agree that the cost of flying to Europe, hiring a motorhome and taking a months tour wouldn't be much different from many of the organised caravans within the USA etc.

But then, with so much to offer on your doorstep (and mostly in English) its too easy to stay there.

Paul

I agree with you Paul.  Maybe they should look at the website www.mir-tours.de, click the English language button, and be amazed at the tours on offer.  My favourite is retired American doctor, Larry, drivig his 29 foot Born Free RV, has done the tours to Egypt/Jordan/Syria/Turkey/Greece, turned straight round and did the one to Iran/Kazakhstan/Tibet/China/Mongolia/Siberia/Poland, then went straight to Dunquerqu port where both he and his RV boarded a freight ship to New Zealand, spent 8 months there, then to Australia (he is currently in Tasmania), and later this year ships back to Europe to do the tour to Ukraine.   

The travel company, under the actual name Perestroika Tours, are based at a super campground at Hausbay in Germany - been there many times, great for big RVs.

Terry (inSunny Arizona in a Newmar Kounty Star)

Terry,

Having done part of Europe with you and Liliane we could very easily enjoy RVing there. However, we would have to stay in countries that drove on the right side of the road. :) I was just looking at the photos I took in Paris today.

Jim, wanting to stay on the correct side of the road is not a problem - it is something we Brits (including the Welsh Tom), the Ozzies, the Kiwis, the Japs, the South Africans, the Kenyans etc etc all understand very well.  Come and join us (wish you and Pat would).

Terry

PS:  Liliane's in a Heathrow hotel tonight, flying back to Phoenix tomorrow.

Having lived in Japan and Australia we had no real difficulty friving on the left side and switching to the right when we returned to the US.

Nathan said:

Jim, wanting to stay on the correct side of the road is not a problem - it is something we Brits (including the Welsh Tom), the Ozzies, the Kiwis, the Japs, the South Africans, the Kenyans etc etc all understand very well.  Come and join us (wish you and Pat would).

Terry

PS:  Liliane's in a Heathrow hotel tonight, flying back to Phoenix tomorrow.

When Steve & Hazel arrived from Ireland a couple of weeks ago he was very concerned about getting on the wrong side of the road. After he had a little practice following us back to TGO and driving the golf cart around the park he was much more confident. He has done well. :)

Maybe someday we'll get over there again. Right now we have a hard enough time traveling the 1300 miles to CT!! I hate to think of it but they might want me back next month! Got a call from Roy the other day. Darn. :mad:

....it is something we Brits (including the Welsh Tom), the Ozzies, the Kiwis, the Japs, the South Africans, the Kenyans etc etc all understand very well.

Understanding and doing are not always the same Terry. I tried to come out of a rental car lot at Heathrow the wrong way one trip; It took me a short while to figure out why the shuttle bus trying to get in wasn't giving way. Last trip, I got out of the lot OK, then proceeded to drive anti-clockwise around a roundabout to get onto the airport perimeter road. A bus driver coming the other way stopped, Chris made a "dumb foreign tourist" gesture, and the bus driver had a good laugh.

Lee,

You'll have to ask Chris when you meet her at a forum rally to get it first hand. Maybe she'll give you a demo. I was concentrating on the bus and wasn't watching her; She explained later what she had done.

My experience has been that as long as other cars were in view I did drive the UK way.  Coming to an intersection, for example, with no other cars visible, it was very easy to go to the side of the road you are used to.

My automatic collision avoidance system (read SCREAMING wife) would  immediately engage.  :eek:

Tom in VB

My experience has been that as long as other cars were in view I did drive the UK way.

That always helps, whichever direction you cross the Atlantic.

Just a short note to say that the blog now includes 2 pages on Morocco.

http://papillontravels.net/Euro2008/maroccoindex.htm

;)

Tom, Salamanca, Spain

Thanks Tom. Your impressions (description and images) confirm what my oldest son and his other half told me after their recent visit to Morocco. They say they'll go back to see more.

Tom

Thanks for the update - sounds like you're having a great time.

Nice to see you mixing with the locals.

There is a tour of Brits with American RVs (8 A-Class RVs I believe) heading for Morocco in September - I bet they're looking forward to a few of those mountain passes  ;D

Paul

Don't forget to hug a camel for us Olley. Can't wait to read the reports and see photos.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom