how to be a snowbird?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zsuu said:
Holy crow.  I really opened up a can of worms.  There were so many negative responses with different angles that it's going to take awhile for me to address them all.

1st and formost.  I did not talk them out of it because I'm selfesh and want them to stay here.  I've tried for years to talk them into going.  They are 72 and 73 and have each been retired for over 5 years.  They should have done this 5 years ago.  Dad just had quadruple bipass surgery and mom just (as in two weeks ago) got out of the nursing home after back surgery. 
Why am I searching instead of them...because I'm the one with the computer.  And they asked me to.  I've tried to "butt out", but, I keep getting dragged back in.

The reason I don't know what the refrig runs on is because they have a new camper and I have not as yet used it.  After all it's theirs not mine and I need to wait until they break it in before I ask to borrow it. 

I am not a troll.  I came here because it seemed to be the best place to find answers. 

Money?  Well, I read a few other posts and saw that some campgrounds were $295 a month if you stay 6 months and $395 if you just go monthly.   I told mom the price and mentioned it was plus electricity and she said "no way"  too much.   

I'm planning to be in Florida in Oct/Nov and would like them to come with me and camp out for a week or two.  This way they could give it a try. 

Now...are you people going to buckle down and help me to help them...or are you going to continue to nag me?

First of all, an apology.  By way of explanation, the forum just got hit by a troll and got badly suckered.  Folks became oversensitive as a result.

Secondly,  you are querying a choir of old crocks here so we may have a different attitude towards old folks in RVs.  (I just turned 72).

Thirdly, in my experience in the Piedmont of North Carolina is that the winter there is bloody well COLD.  Try the panhandle of Florida or the rest of the Gulf Coast.  South Texas is a popular snowbird destination as is the Colorado River valley of Arizona/California.  December to late March is the high season there.

ZSUU,

1st and formost.  I did not talk them out of it because I'm selfesh and want them to stay here.  I've tried for years to talk them into going.  They are 72 and 73 and have each been retired for over 5 years.  They should have done this 5 years ago.  Dad just had quadruple bipass surgery and mom just (as in two weeks ago) got out of the nursing home after back surgery. 
Why am I searching instead of them...because I'm the one with the computer.  And they asked me to.  I've tried to "butt out", but, I keep getting dragged back in.

Okay, fair enough.  We stand corrected.  You're a good kid after all!  There are quite a few in this group who are the same age as your parents or older and many are fulltimers, so age isn't an issue in this group.  ;)

I do understand why you might be concerned about their health issues so encourage them to be with other retirees who probably have many of the same health issues and, more important, can recommend good health care providers in the area they choose to roost.  Are they both in physical therapy?  I imagine that needs to be completed to an acceptable degree before they can go anywhere.  On the other hand, lying in a hospital bed probably gave them both some second thoughts that maybe they should start enjoying life more now instead of waiting.  Only they can decide when they feel well enough to go on the road and whether they can handle it.

Maybe they need to get hooked up too.  They're certainly not too old to learn.  Last year's "Christmas card" from one of our favorite 89-year-olds (90 this year and still going strong) was a DVD set to music showing about 80 photos of his travels and fun events from that year.  Heck, I've never done anything like that and here's a guy about 20 years my senior who knows how to do it.  I think that's great.  Recent research shows that people who use their brains more as they age grow new connections within the brain and that seems to help in deterring things like Alzheimer's and age-related dementia.  A 95-year-old friend once told us to play bridge every day (like herself) to stay sharp.  Well we may not play bridge everyday but we use email to keep in touch with both family and friends so encourage them to give it a try.  There are a lot of people on this Forum who can help them figure out the best way(s) to get internet access.  Also, if they like photography, being able to use a digital camera and put the photos on the computer is great.  They could share photos with their friends and family, not to mention receiving photos.  We use the computer to find out neat places to visit.  We use the computer to store recipes.  We use the computer to "meet" other people who have similar interests.  This RV Forum got started because we were all RVers who had computers and the original core group (plus newcomers who want to do so) meet all over the country.  You'll see us use the term "Framily" - friends who are like family.  Your parents need a group like ours!

I can't help with where they should winter, but I am glad you're helping your parents find a suitable area.  There are a lot of places in Arizona that have lots of activities such as you describe.  When they look at how much it costs remind them that the more amenities the place has, the more it might cost.  Most of the big places have swimming pools, laundry facilities, various sports, and special places for arts and crafts.  The monthly cost depends to a great extent how fancy they want the place to be.  The nicer it is, the more it probably will cost.  They don't have to spend the entire winter in one place either.  Have they traveled much in the southwest?  If not, they might be amazed to learn how much there is to see and do out here.  They could spend a few weeks or a month in one place to try it out and explore and then move on to another place if they either don't like it or have seen everything of interest.  Sunsets in Arizona can't be beat!

I wish you luck in helping your parents fly out of the northern nest to a warmer one.

ArdraF

P.S.  Electricity in the west is quite expensive.  Many campgrounds charge extra because people run electric heaters in the winter or air conditioners in the summer and that costs the campgrounds a bundle.  Also, water is precious out here.

Holy crow.  I really opened up a can of worms.  There were so many negative responses with different angles that it's going to take awhile for me to address them all.
Well, your first post made you sound like a spoiled, little... o,k., we won't go into that ;) Now that we know about your being asked to do this, we'll try and help. As for nagging; we nag at each other too. It comes with the territory :D

Something you may want to do is have them fly down to FL and rent an rv there for a week or two. That way they'll get an idea of what it takes to do it on a (short) long-term basis, and won't be burdened with having to drive a rig back to Massachusetts if they decide it's not for them. Costs, like anything else, can vary widely. Remember when a room at a good Holiday Inn would cost only $10/night? I do, but that was long, long ago. Same with rv parks; some are very reasonable and some are very high. Depends a lot on location, amenities, season, and other factors. There are ways to reduce costs like using Good Sam membership discount parks, having a Golden Age card which gives you 50% off normal rates at most National and some State parks, monuments and U.S. Army Corps of Engineer parks, etc. People here can give you all kinds of money-saving tips. Stick around and see what they suggest. It's very difficult to find a place (or even region or state) right off the bat that you'd want to stay at for months at a time. Trying new places for a few days at a time and not rushing into a commitment to the first nice place you find, can save a lot of money and disappointment in the long run. Urge them to "try before you buy".
Good Luck! 

Karl said:
Well, your first post made you sound like ....

Karl,

Remember that communication requires both a transmitter and a receiver functioning correctly  ;)  I've been transmitting correctly all my life, but many of those receivers out there don't function too good and don't understand a darned word I say ;D

Is that you Karl, or Hercule walking on the keyboard  ???

zsuu said:
Well, I read a few other posts and saw that some campgrounds were $295 a month if you stay 6 months and $395 if you just go monthly.   I told mom the price and mentioned it was plus electricity and she said "no way"  too much.   

?
the park i stay in [quartzsite az ] is 495.00 for 3 mo. or 1200.00 a year. my elec. is less than 25.00 a mo. there are cheaper places if you just look.
              steve

Ok.  So I didn't realize that my words sounded so bratty.  I've been secretary/accountant/advisor to my parent for so long...that I forget that some older folks are completely independent of anyone. 

Computers?  My parents...HA,HA, HA...lol...
I bought them one.  Set it up.  Showed them how to play games and use it as a typewritter.  I figured once they got into that part I'd set them up with internet.  A few weeks and it was gone.  They had given it away.  Didn't even ask me if I wanted it?

I plan to ask my mom how much they pay daily and weekly at the various camp grounds they go to.  I'm then going to add it up and explain that $295/$395 is in the same ball park. 

Mom is still in therapy.  Dad is done and refuses to do what he's suppose to.  As for dividing up the chores?  Not Dad.  Once the campers set and the TV is hooked up...it's pop a beer and let the vacation begin. 

By the way...thanks for the info...Oh, and apologies excepted.  I now need to nag my cousin for the date and place of the speed/power boat races.  Once I know that I can zero in on the area and pick a few sites.  I'll only be able to go for a week.  I'll drive down with the car and they'll follow in the camper.  One good week down there should give them an idea as to whether this is something they want to do yearly.  Especially the driving down and then later back up. 

Now if I could just get dad to show me how to use the plow.

Once the campers set and the TV is hooked up...it's pop a beer and let the vacation begin. 

We all seem to divide things up into blue and pink chores.  The blue chores usually involve hitching and unhitching; connecting water, electricity and sewer; setting stabilizing jacks;  lowering awning; lighting water heating;  dumping tanks;  filling fresh tank; barbecuing.    You will notice that the blue chores tend to be outside chores.  Oh yeah, blue chores also include popping beers and pouring drinks.  The pink chores are inside chores:  cooking, washing, making beds, and cleaning.  Trailer galleys tend not to lend themselves to shared chores -- our galley is 3 feet square, which is enough for only one person and an attentive dog.

One of the great things about RVs and particularly trailers is that their living space is small.  My 24 footer has about 170 square feet of space to live in.  That alone limits the amount of household chores.  We vacuum with a hand vac.  THe 3 x 3 kitchen floor is mopped with damp paper towels.

In short, kicking back with a beer is thoroughly normal RV behavior.

Zu
I'm in Arizona and this retirement community I live in has lots of snowbirds.
you can see it at roadrunnerlakeresort.com
however, I've done a little checking around and I believe Texas is cheaper
than Arizona and probably just as warm down south, like around San Antonio.
But there are cheaper resorts than where I am in Scottsdale. Apache Junction
has lots of retirement rv resorts too and are cheaper than Scottsdale. I choose
this place because its very close to my place of employment and several coworkers
live here also so I can catch a ride if need be.
I think your in the right place to get ideas for your folks, this is a great bunch.
I have not personally met any of them but I would like to, especially Wendy,
she's one smart cookie, she knows everything!  Get the folks to join the forum
and give us all a howdy.

Something to consider or rather for your parents to consider is to buy a resale 'membership'.  There are memberships that are financially rewarding to full-timers/snowbirds.  (I'm not promoting/selling anything....)

With the thoughts of being a snowbirder in my future, I bought a resale membership for an excellent price, and pay annual dues of about $540, and can utilize two Florida locations, 3 weeks at each one without time out of the system.  And, being a member, I can buy a park pass to several other locations. 

As I am new to this forum, I'm still learning about it.  I will check back if you have any questions and I will try to answer them.  Best wishes for a wonderful New Year.....2008 - Make It Great!

Memberships are never a good buy IMO because you have to move and leave constantly  Unless you use it as much as time is available to you, the dues you pay and the investment doesn't pay.  Been there done that for over 20 years.

I agree with Shayne.  Personally I think there are very few campground membership owners that even begin to get their moneys worth.  Been there done that and still stand by my stong recommendation against buying into a campground membership.

Make sure that you're not stuck with the membership forever and that the annual dues don't transfer to your heirs....many do. Figure out how many days a year you really think you'll use the membership campground and divide that into the annual dues/maintenance fees. That's what you're paying per night for the site and that's without calculating in the initial cost of the membership. If it's still a good deal for you, ok. But for most people, once you crunch the numbers, you'll find that it's not a good deal. And ignore all the figures that the salesmen scribble on their little sales forms.....it's bull.

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom