A Christmas Story

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ray D

This story has grabbed my attention for the last couple of days. I would imagine a few more have noticed, too.  :-\

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,317428,00.html

The successful rescue has been a relief to me. The story had all the earmarks of a tragedy. Instead, I choose to call it a Christmas story. Not RV related, except in the most oblique way, but nice ending.  ;D

Merry Christmas!  ;D

Ray D  ;D

We, too, were relieved to hear of their rescue.  Anyone who has lived in the Paciific Northwest or Northern California can identify with this family's situation.  One minute you're on a routine, seasonal quest for the perfect tree ... and the next minute you're in white-out conditions with rapidly accumulating snow, falling temperatures, and a rapidly degrading sense of orientation.  It's definitely not "sunny California" territory in the winter months.

This was a family who lived in the area (Paradise, CA up into the Sierras from Chico, CA).  They were familiar with the area and it's winter conditions.  If they could get lost .... anyone from that same area could also be lost, given those conditions.  They weren't "tourists".  The whole town turned out to try to find them and, fortunately, the helicopter pilot spotted their help sign and the 4WD vehicles spotted them in time to rescue them.  We lived in that area for many years, and the efforts of that community to help one of their own made me very proud.

Margi

Back
Top Bottom