Armada as tow vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Towbar

I'm new to trailoring and am considering buying an Armada to tow 5400 lb. toy-hauler.?

1.? Does anyone have experiece towing with the Armada?

2.? What kind of controller would you recommend?

Would appreciate any words of wisdom on these subjects.

I cannot find much towing info on the new Armada except Nissans general sales claim that it "tows 9100 lbs".  That's probably a best case number and probably makes no allowance for passengers and gear in the SUV itself.  Every bit of weight IN the SUV subtracts from what can be towed behind it.

Is the 5400 lbs the dry weight of the trailer? If so, you would be smart to use its maximun gross weight )GVWR) as your estimate of what it will weigh as youdrive down the road. Make sure your tow vehicle can handle at least 10% more than that (15-20% preferred).

Towbar said:
I'm new to trailoring and am considering buying an Armada to tow 5400 lb. toy-hauler.?

1.? Does anyone have experiece towing with the Armada?

2.? What kind of controller would you recommend?

Would appreciate any words of wisdom on these subjects.

As Gary said, the tow rating given, cross checked with Trailer Life is 9100#.  As importantly, the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (GCVWR) is 14,799#.  The GCVWR is the combined weight of the trailer, the trailer's payload, the truck, and the truck's payload.

With a toy hauler trailer and an a passenger hauler like an SUV you need to do some serious arithmetic.  Add the weight of the trailer, the weight of a full freshwater tank (8# per gallon), the weight of your toys, about 500# for food, bedding, clothing, and knickknacks, to the weight of your truck, your passengers (to save embarrassment, use the old 150# per person figure), and an estimate of the truck tools and goodies. 

You many be surprised how quickly you start edging toward 14,799#.  You want at least a 10% headroom (13,319#),  and if you tow in the Rockies or the Pacific Coast states, 20% (11,840#).

Most brake controllers work.  I have used a Teconsha for years, without much thought about its relative worth as regards other brands and styles.  Just remember, one invariable part of your starting out check off is to set the sensitivity and gain before you travel more than a block or two.

One item you do not mention is the hitching system.  You will need at least a class IV receiver, ball mount, bad, and weight equalization system with a good anti-sway mechanism.  This ranks right up with brakes as a safety issue.

Back
Top Bottom